ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

How to disable Daytime Running Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-10, 09:08 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How to disable Daytime Running Lights (Update/with pics)

Does anyone know how to disable the DRL without disabling the highbeams? I understand that it's a safety feature but I want to have only my foglights on while I drive. (I did a mod to have my foglights on anytime. If you're wondering, the steps for the mod can be found on this forum - Just search)

Thanks

Last edited by JamesBond1; 04-29-10 at 07:31 PM. Reason: New info
Old 04-08-10, 09:26 AM
GoodRevs
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

i searched for this a while ago because I go to drive-in's during the summertime. as far as I know, other than disconnecting the high beams there isn't a way to turn off the DRL's while the cars running, but I noticed they won't go on when the key is turned just to ON. Good luck and post up the solution if you ever find one.
Old 04-08-10, 02:31 PM
cyco
Pole Position

Are the DRLs the same bulb as the high beams? if not you could just take them out :x

If they are the same bulb and you are really good you could modify the lightbulb and take out the filiment that creates light for DRLs.
Old 04-08-10, 03:33 PM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cyco
Are the DRLs the same bulb as the high beams? if not you could just take them out :x

If they are the same bulb and you are really good you could modify the lightbulb and take out the filiment that creates light for DRLs.
Same bulb. Do that, and you have the dumb warning on the dash stating it's out.

He's doing something somewhat risky since it is in the law that all Canadian cars are to have DRL's.

With the fogs though it would be able to trick a few cops in any event, but having an empty void in the headlight clearly marking there is no bulb would make any defense for him rather weak as to why he doesn't have coincidentally two bulbs

Taking out the filament ??? Are you kidding? GL with such precision and how are you going to 'melt' off the glass/plastic bond between the connector and properly re-install it?

It has to be a matter of relays, as-is with the Fog light mod on the 3ES.
Old 04-08-10, 07:23 PM
QuachmanES
Lead Lap

Well, I think what cyco thought was that the high beam bulbs were similar to the brake light bulbs, where there is a second, higher intensity filament. The DRL/high beams are a single filament bulb, and the DRL's just operate at a lower power.

Sadly, even though I live in Washington, I actually have a Canadian spec car, so I can't turn off the DRL's.
Old 04-08-10, 08:14 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

I heard one guy saying that you can take your car to Lexus and have them disable the DRL via a computer. He said that it was something like an option and that anyone with that computer could do it.

I went to Lexus and they thought I was nuts lol. They brought up the whole law aspect and eventually told me they couldnt do it....I'm not suprised.

Under the hood near the front, where the fans are, there is a fuse/relay box with all of the DRL fuses and relays. I'm going to play around with them and see what happens.... If I can't get it to work then I'll just take out the fuse and disable my DRL including my highbeams....or just take out the bulbs.

Does anyone know if a light on the dash will apear if I take out the fuse and disable my DRL/Highbeams? Because I know there is a light for the rear that tells you if a bulb is out....
Old 04-09-10, 01:13 PM
zajac
Driver

I just disconnected my passenger side high beam. Surprisingly enough, the one drivers side still lights up the road when I need it to. GL
Old 04-09-10, 07:00 PM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by zajac
I just disconnected my passenger side high beam. Surprisingly enough, the one drivers side still lights up the road when I need it to. GL
So you don't have DRL on and you have one highbeam working when you need it, is that correct?

Also, is there a light on your dash showing?
Old 04-20-10, 07:51 AM
NovaRacer
Driver School Candidate

JB1

I too went to Lexus asking them to disable the DRL's, and was treated like an idiot.

I'm not an ASE certified mechanic, but I do know alot more than most people when it comes to cars, and I had to listen to the service manager tell me this about that, and why he couldn't / wouldn't do it. It wasn't a pleasant experience to say the least.

I ended up going the same route that zajac went and just unhooked the passenger side Hi-beam. I get no light on the dash.

Good Luck
WB
Old 04-20-10, 08:57 AM
Specter
Driver

I too went to Lexus asking them to disable the DRL's, and was treated like an idiot.
Why would a Dealership disable a safety feature ?
Old 04-20-10, 09:56 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Specter
Why would a Dealership disable a safety feature ?
THIS.

Of course the dealer cannot do this, its liability on their part...

same way many tire shops won't install 'stretched tires' for people. a lot of those are cash deals/after hours.
Old 04-20-10, 11:41 AM
PFB
Lexus Champion

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
THIS.

same way many tire shops won't install 'stretched tires' for people. a lot of those are cash deals/after hours.
Apart from their important safety aspect, DRL's are mandatory in Canada. I see that you live in Toronto, so not having DRL's is illegal, You will get a ticket, and probably be given 48Hrs to have them fixed.

Fog lights will not be considered a substitute for functioning DRL's by the Police. Your car will stick out like a sore thumb, and attract their attention

Phil
Old 04-20-10, 02:26 PM
NovaRacer
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
THIS.

Understood.

Not a law here in NC, so it doesn't really make since to me why they wouldn't do it, but I had only read on here that they could do it....not that they would. Could have been that they didn't know how to....

I gave them a shot at doing that and some other work for me when I first bought it. Was not pleased with the service I got from them, or the prices they gave me being extremely high. This is my first Toyota / Lexus brand, so I tried that route....

They have since closed / moved that dealership.
Old 04-21-10, 10:32 AM
JamesBond1
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by PFB
Fog lights will not be considered a substitute for functioning DRL's by the Police. Your car will stick out like a sore thumb, and attract their attention

Phil
True, but I did notice that the Acura MDX does not have DRL (or so I think) and that everytime I see one on the road I only see its fog lights on. I don't know if the ones I saw were "modified" and that I just happened to have seen a bunch of them but I have see a lot witout DRL....

JB1

Last edited by JamesBond1; 04-21-10 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-21-10, 10:49 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

hmmmmm try locatin the fus box..prolly in engine or under/near the gas/break pedals (left corner tho)...i think theres a fuse for DRL..Just remove it..i think that should be ok. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: How to disable Daytime Running Lights?