LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Can I wax my windshield and front side windows?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-10, 09:00 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I wax my windshield and front side windows?

I usually wax my windows for the nice effect during the rain. When I waxed my front and side windows today I heard the sound of static. Apparently the "water repellent" is a slight charge to the glass? Anyway, is it okay to wax these "charged" windows?
thanks,
Keith
Old 03-28-10, 09:04 PM
poopsnack
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kg19989
I usually wax my windows for the nice effect during the rain. When I waxed my front and side windows today I heard the sound of static. Apparently the "water repellent" is a slight charge to the glass? Anyway, is it okay to wax these "charged" windows?
thanks,
Keith
I do the same! Go for it! Collinite wax is TOPS.
Old 03-28-10, 09:31 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I accidentally got some wax on the top brow of the winshield when I was waxing with a random orbital buffer several months ago. Not freaking out and going with the flow, I said what the heck---and continued doing the ENTIRE windshield, with very light pressure on the heavy buffer.

After removing the wax, the windshield was dazzling, but now I can see very very small scratches that I am certain were NOT there before. My gf thinks I'm crazy complaining about the scratches and the glass. She doesn't think a thing is wrong, but I'm 100% certain I didn't see any tiny random patterned scratches IN THE WINDSHIELD BEFORE. Let's not forget about the "soft" glass used in the LS's...

If I had to do it again, I wouldn't have. Maybe you will not have the same results I ended up with? I used Meguire's cleaner wax and a random orbital buffer. It was my first time waxing the LS. No idea when the previous owner had done it, so I thought the cleaner wax would be a good idea.

Btw...the BODY does look great. No complaints with the products I used.

What do the instructions say on the bottle of wax? Are you concerned with any potential "chattering" from your wipers?
Old 03-29-10, 05:38 AM
KINGLS430
Pole Position

I wouldn't i mean i have seen people do it. I have been told that the LS-430 comes with some type of window treatment on the front driver and passenger windows, maybe the windshield too. I usually use RainX 2 or 3 coats on all the windows then wipe clean with a damp cloth i use it on the sunroof and the head and tail lights too. Works AMAZING for about 6 months and makes cleaning the glass very very easy. For the same effect i use Rain X defogger on the interior windows. Streak free, looks amazing, prevents fogging and makes the inside windows easy to clean.

Last edited by KINGLS430; 03-29-10 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-29-10, 06:05 AM
mannye
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

THe reason you may have seen some scratches that were not there before is because Meguire's Cleaner Wax has abrasives. Using a non-abrasive wax will eliminate that problem. But I would probably go with Rain-X if I was going to do anything like that.

For me, however, nothing beats newspaper (those things people used to read before the internet) and a solution of 50% water and 50% Windex to get that show car sparkle.
Old 03-29-10, 06:17 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks,
Keith
Yeah, I put a little Klasse AIO on my front windows and was zapped a couple of times. however, the windows are smooth as a baby's bottom. Even with the treatment on our glass, after putting a little AIO in the glass, it was obvious that the wiper would have much less effort to glide across. Thats my method and Im sticking to it. I did not use my buffer on the glass however. Hand is all you need for glass me thinks!
Old 03-29-10, 07:51 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

I prefer a few coats of Rain-X on the windshield and call it the day, Rain-X works great and last for months. I wax my headlights, fogs and tails to keep them form getting cloudy as the car ages. BTW Rain-X dose wonders for bugs in the summer, I love watching them smash, then bead up or slide off vs smearing the windshield.
Old 03-29-10, 01:26 PM
j three
Lexus Test Driver

I claybar the windows periodically then use meguiars ultimate quick wax on paint and windows after every wash, with great results.
Old 03-29-10, 05:41 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

There is no reason to do this. Your windows already have factory water repellent glass. You are just ruining the factory repelling nature of the glass by waxing it. The most you should do is clay bar the window with low to mild clay on a regular basis. This will keep the glass clean and ready to repel water.
Old 03-29-10, 06:15 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Wow... I just Googled claying. I know for a fact I could use that. Does anyone know of a place that will do that in San Antonio?
Old 03-29-10, 06:16 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniz
There is no reason to do this. Your windows already have factory water repellent glass. You are just ruining the factory repelling nature of the glass by waxing it. The most you should do is clay bar the window with low to mild clay on a regular basis. This will keep the glass clean and ready to repel water.
Thanks Miniz.... I was thinking that the wax couldn't be good for the charged windows.... Not to discard the others but I have to agree with you that it can't be good....
Old 03-29-10, 06:28 PM
JimsGX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If anyone takes their car through an automatic car wash, you're probably getting wax applied to the car (including the windows obviously) at the end of the wash, right before it goes through the blowers / dryers. The reason for this is the blowers would be ineffective in drying the car unless the water was made to bead and roll off before it hits the blowers. This comes from a reliable source. A good friend of mine built and ran a car wash for many years and told me this. He told me not to waste my money by paying for the wax application when going through the car wash. I miss all those free washes!

Jim
Old 03-29-10, 08:45 PM
kg19989
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by miniz
Question... I did the baggie thing on my LS. Paint looks great and was smooth wind my bare hand but boy was it rough with the baggie. As a litmus test I went to my wife's 2010 Navigator and did the same... It was much rougher than mine.... could her paint be tainted already? The qualifier here is that my car was waxed yesterday and hers is in need of a wash...
Old 03-30-10, 02:47 AM
tkbalt
Driver

Question... I did the baggie thing on my LS. Paint looks great and was smooth wind my bare hand but boy was it rough with the baggie. As a litmus test I went to my wife's 2010 Navigator and did the same... It was much rougher than mine.... could her paint be tainted already? The qualifier here is that my car was waxed yesterday and hers is in need of a wash...
The paint just has "stuff" stuck in the clear coat. Clay the car and it will remove most or all of the roughness. I do mine once or twice a year - really helps - and is very easy to do.
Old 03-30-10, 07:46 AM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow... I just Googled claying. I know for a fact I could use that. Does anyone know of a place that will do that in San Antonio?
KG,

Claying is so easy "a caveman can do it" Once you clay, if you dont want to do a full detail, at least wax the car. the claying before hand will allow your wax to adhere much better to the paint

Quick Reply: Can I wax my windshield and front side windows?