Auto Headlight leveling system warning light

Old 03-04-10, 09:40 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Headlight leveling system warning light

2002 IS300
17in Stock Chrome Wheels
Installed koni sport adjustable struts on all 4 wheels and light came on right after, seems pretty obvious the difference in ride height is to blame.
There were two settings for ride height and I chose the taller of the two for two reasons.
1. When the stock and konis were held up next to each other off the car they matched up perfectly.
2. Was not really looking for a lowered setup, I drove a lowered integra for almost 8 years and grew tired of the obvious issues with driving a lowered car.
Oddly enough my front struts showed signs of wear after only 55k miles, but they were 8 years old. Cupping front tires and excessive dipping on excel/decel was irritating. Tire noise was unbearable. I decided to do all 4 just to keep the age consistant.
Now it appears I have lifted, yes lifted my IS around .5-.75in in front and 1in on the rear. Kind of sits like an old muscle car now Honestly it really pissed me off at first but it rides unbelievably amazing, although it looks kind of like a ford focus on 20s
I was told that they may "calm down" after some drive time, but I'm not holding my breath.
Any ways the point of this is a simple question, which I'm hoping has a simple answer:

Is there a way to reset the Auto Leveling system? I was thinking of just disconnecting the battery for a few mins and hooking it back up but I keep track of my oil changes with tripometer B and didn't want to reset it without being sure it would work.
I would assume there has to be a way to do it since I see lowered IS300s all the time. I'm left under the impression that this system is designed to lower the headlights when you are going up an incline or speed bump to keep from blinding people. If that's all it is and it's not an easy fix I say screw it, let them get blinded!
Any help you experienced IS owners could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance,
Fisher
Old 03-05-10, 07:47 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can lower it as much as you like without worrying about that light.

There's a dogbone sensor on the driver side rear, it probably got loosened or misaligned when installed the new shocks. Betting the dogbone is closer to a 90 degree angle more than anything. It should be straight up and down. My.is has pictures of this, would point you to the thread(s) but I can't get on at work.

edit; looks like this https://www.clublexus.com/forums/5070315-post3.html

Last edited by DonCorleone; 03-05-10 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-05-10, 11:36 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks a lot Don, I'll check it out tomorrow.
Old 03-08-10, 02:45 PM
sway162
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
You can lower it as much as you like without worrying about that light.

There's a dogbone sensor on the driver side rear, it probably got loosened or misaligned when installed the new shocks. Betting the dogbone is closer to a 90 degree angle more than anything. It should be straight up and down.
There's also one on the driver side front. I f ing broke it off when I installed my springs. Now I get high beamed all the time. lol I recently adjusted my headlights manually on the back of the actual lights. It's in your manual...very easy to do.
Old 03-24-10, 09:33 PM
Fisher
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the replies guys. Fixed it yesterday. Looks like when the left rear strut was installed the bolt holding the bottom of the sensor in place was loosened allowing it to drop all the way down, then tightened back up with it misaligned. Was done by a great tech, just not too familiar with the auto level system. All I had to do was loosen it and push it back up as pictured in the link above. All is well in Fisher's IS land.
Thanks again guys
-Fisher
Old 04-30-10, 10:08 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sway162
There's also one on the driver side front. I f ing broke it off when I installed my springs. Now I get high beamed all the time. lol I recently adjusted my headlights manually on the back of the actual lights. It's in your manual...very easy to do.
For those of us that DONT have manuals :/ .. (not to thread jack) but my damn lights are aiming WAY down and honestly i cant see ***** infront of me past 10 meters and i gotta roll high beams which sucks for oncoming traffic haha. ive searched for a thread that has some sort of HOW TO or manual as to how to level the low beams the the IS300 but no luck

Help!
Old 05-14-10, 10:19 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Wow I'm glad I found this thread, I just had my car lowered and my freaking light is on too...

But I had auto leveling problems before the car was lowered. I always see my headlights going up and down randomly. I am thinking I need to get new leveling motors, hopefully if I get new headlights they will come with the new motors right? Also I will check out the dogbone thing in the picture posted above.....

thanks!
Old 06-27-10, 01:17 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

I put the Eibach pro Kit on mine and just that 1 inch of lowering screwed my system up completely and I had to tie strap the sensor arms to the actual lower arms of the car which are a couple inches below the mount they usually sit on or the light wouldn't go off.