SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Radio Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-10, 07:49 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Problem

I have an intermittent problem where when I turn on the car, every so often the radio comes on for about a half second then turns off and won't come back. All is fine when I restart the car. Sometime it will happen while I'm driving, but again, restarting the car fixes it. It's going in Friday (under warranty) but since it's intermittent I'm not all that hopeful. Any thoughts on how to handle/where to point them (if any)? Anyone ever have a similar problem? Thanks!
Old 01-27-10, 07:55 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you say turns off do you mean no power ie LED screen dead or just no sound.

If just no sound Id be inclined to think its the amp.
Old 01-27-10, 08:05 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^from what it sounds it may be the amp. There was a TSB regarding this on the 2002 year (particularly cars manufactured in '01) when either you'd get no sound, radio would mute, or maximum volume randomly and it had to directly with the amp so I'm inclined to think it should be a similar problem...from my research on the issue I've not really heard of many problems outside the first model year...
Old 01-27-10, 08:12 PM
VVTiBob

Received 264 Likes on 200 Posts

If there are issues the ECUs collect and save the data and the Lexus DTS scan tool will pick them up when they plug in at the OBCII port.
Old 01-27-10, 08:12 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

A mix of things - usually no power (sound or LCD). Once I had sound but no LCD.
Old 01-27-10, 08:52 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If there are issues the ECUs collect and save the data and the Lexus DTS scan tool will pick them up when they plug in at the OBCII port.
Great to know - thanks Bob! I'm only two months away from the end of my warranty, but this has convinced me to buy the platinum.
Old 01-28-10, 05:15 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a problem like that with my GPS, it would lose tracking every couple of days, and play nice at the dealer. If it is a problem you can capture on your phone with video, the dealership is more likely to help. I showed them a video of my GPS, which had my car 20 miles out in the ocean while driving downtown. I emailed it to the service manager, and got the problem resolved.
Old 01-28-10, 08:25 AM
VVTiBob

Read the Platinum contract carefully, not the marketing materials. There are exclusions that may surprise you.
Old 01-28-10, 09:00 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Read the Platinum contract carefully, not the marketing materials. There are exclusions that may surprise you.
The one I read look very exhaustive -- didn't see anything excluded that concerned me. Is there something I missed?
Old 01-28-10, 01:44 PM
VVTiBob

I'd very careful with the word "electronics" this is a very broad term and the SCs are absolutely loaded with electronics.
Old 01-28-10, 02:10 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^correct, I don't know if within the platinum warranty they cover electronics and speakers...etc...this would be of utmost importance as in dealing with electrical problems with this car you will most likely go to a Lexus dealership and not get it done elsewhere which equals big bucks for a problem.
Old 01-28-10, 03:08 PM
langsdale
Pole Position

i have the amp, 6 disc, nav, etc for sale if you need it. let me know. but if you have a warranty that should be your first shot. lexus was REALLY good about replacing my 6 disc changer when it jammed up. maybe they will help you on this. did they offer any support?
Old 01-28-10, 03:38 PM
robsvdp
Pole Position

It's going in tomorrow, and I'm assuming they'll replace whatever the find to be the culprit. My concern is if they can find it....
Old 01-29-10, 10:37 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

I have a copy of Lexus Platinum if anyone wants details, but it does NOT exclude electronics at all. It covers all factory installed or dealer installed Lexus equipment, EXCEPT what are essentially trim or wear items (hoses, brakes, lights/bulbs, interior trim and headliner, etc). Only "iffy" item is hinges; not sure if they'd try to exclude the top hinges or not, but otherwise all electronics are certainly covered.
Old 01-29-10, 10:38 AM
robsvdp
Pole Position

As for my original issue, they scanned the car and said I need a new head unit. Ordered and on its way.

Quick Reply: Radio Problem