GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

GX460 and Land Rover LR4

Old 01-18-10, 10:47 AM
tjp74
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GX460 and Land Rover LR4

I am currently looking at GX460 and LR4 to replace my 07 GS 350 to support my growing family (2.5 years old and 3 month)

I have been actually waiting for GX460 to come out then realized that Land Rover also made significant updates to LR3 and reintroduce it as a LR4 which now has quite attactive interior.

Has anyone considered both? and the result and reason?

I checked out both yesterday and wasn't too impressed with GX and leaning toward LR4. Here are my reasons (not particularly in order of importance). Let me know if I am missing anything.

1. Huge glass roof (tilt and slide at the front and fixed glass at the middle and rear vs 1 moon roof on GX. Heck, even a 10 Sienna has a rear moon roof too!

2. Much bigger headroom for second and expecially 3rd row on LR4

3. More power 375 vs 300 or so for GX.

4. Full air suspension allowing easy access by fully lowering when not running. I can just swing my butt and seat vs actually have to climb up and seat on GX. I wasn't impressed with rear air suspension on GX.

5. Towing assistant features: LR4 can display how the trailer will move when you back up on the LCD screen and also detect towing occilation and correct it etc. and higher towning capacity @7700lbs. I am planning to tow

6. LED daytime running light such as in Audis. I think Audi ones are way over done but one in new LR looks quite good.

7. 3 way split folding 2nd row seat vs 2 way on GX. I like the fact that two person can seat on 2nd row seat and still be able to fold the middle seat down to reach the cargo area or reach 3rd row passengers. Or use folded 2nd middle seat as a table and both back row passengers can use.

8. More leg rooms on all rows exspecially the 3rd row seat.

9. More cargo space, even behind 3rd seat when it's up.

10. LX570 style rear cargo doors

Good thing about GX

1. Reliability and dealer exprience: I am well aware of reliabilty issue of Land Rover, finishing last in JD power associate what ever...but I am not that impressed lately with the quality and relabilty of Toyota/Lexus in general either expecially my mon's 07 ES350 which turned into a mess right after warranty expired and rattle trap of my GS.

2. Cooled seat (I will definitely miss this)

3. power foldering 3rd row seat (I will probally only need this during long distance trip so not a huge deal)

4. Better fuel economy (I guess we will have to use prius more on trips not requring lugage space or 3rd row seat)

5. Distance per fuel tank

Is there any other pros and cons i am missing out? I actually haven't test drove both yet but will be in coming days before I make a final decision.

I have to admit that GX will be a better truck for everyday life going around in town. GX looks pretty and fency with new chrome grill and is an all new 2010 design but it's just that GX is way too common in my area. Heck there are 4 GXes in our little neighborhood.

Back in 90's I fell in love with the original Land Rover Discovery and always impressed with their unique timeless iconic design. I feel like GX design will age faster than LR4. But that's just me...

Anyway, let me know if I am missing or incorrect on anything. I would like to make a wise decision I will not regret as I am planning to own this car for minimum 5 years.

Last edited by tjp74; 01-18-10 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 11:18 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

Originally Posted by tjp74
I would like to make a wise decision I will not regret as I am planning to own this car for minimum 5 years.
That says it all...anything EXCEPT Land Rover.
Old 01-18-10, 11:33 AM
Booyah
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reliabiliy is CRAP compared to a Lexus!! No matter what they say LR is terrible, always last in the JD power poles.

If you like to visit the dealership and look around while your LR is in the shop for weeks then go ahead! I agree they do look nice, but the GX 470/460 is the way to go
Old 01-18-10, 01:20 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe you should lease instead of buy? That way you can enjoy the Land Rover and not have to deal with the long term headaches that may ensue. Also you could save up for an LX570 while you're on the LR lease
Old 01-18-10, 02:00 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

Land Rovers are terrible - the ride sucks and the interior is not even close in quality to a GX or any Lexus product.
Old 01-18-10, 02:16 PM
xswl0931
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm currently in the market and was debating between Lexus and Land Rover. I thought about the Range Rover Sport, however after visiting a popular Land Rover forum, it pretty much confirms JD Power's results that Land Rover as a brand is not reliable (which also affects their resale value).
Old 01-18-10, 02:23 PM
FUZION
Lexus Test Driver

my mom is in love with the new GX and she is gonna grab one here in the next 8 weeks......so the gs350 will come to me for free......haaa. But i still have my SC for the weekends and **** talking........
Old 01-18-10, 03:50 PM
tjp74
Driver

Ok so the reliability is one thing.

The ride, I am not so sure. I am going to test drive both in few days and will know for sure but if new GX460 rides similar to GX470, I am not sure.
I hated the ride of my father in laws 06 GX470. I am reading on megazine reviews that LR4 made great improvements in the on road handling and ride area with many changes to the suspesion area. Plus it's full air suspension
I guess I will find out soon enough.

I don't want to sound like I already made up my mind and only here to bash on GX. I would like to find the reason to love the new GX and trying to see if I am missing a feature on GX or facts that favors GX over LR.

Reliability issue actually doesn't faze me a bit as I have an extensive exprience in engine/transmission rebuild to troubleshooting complex electrical issues etc. I used to work on Peugeots and Alfa Romeos. What could possible worse then these cars from hell?

It's like my head is telling me to go with GX but heart is on LR4...

It's like I know this girl will be a perfect person to marry, will do everything I say so and do well and never complain but can't stop thinking about that other girl... tempermental, high maintenance, sometimes mean personality...

Last edited by tjp74; 01-18-10 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-18-10, 05:47 PM
bturkel1@v
Driver

The new GX460 rides more centered and has more HP than the previous. The drive is much improved but still a truck but closer to a crossover.
Any Land Rover product is ok first 2-3 yrs then they break.
Old 01-18-10, 05:58 PM
akfd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also Land Rover parts are expensive (you probably know that already). If it wasn't the reliability issue - which equates to purchasing those expensive parts more frequently - I would be driving a Range Rover today!!
Old 01-18-10, 07:40 PM
Chi-town
Pole Position

I'm in the same boat with an RRS. The +/-, many that you have already mentioned, lean towards the RR brand. Besides, you already have a prius, no need for two.

Get the LR4 w/extended warranty if you are looking for a challenge.
Old 01-19-10, 09:00 AM
jimmyford1
Driver

[QUOTE=tjp74;5150871]Ok so the reliability is one thing.

The ride, I am not so sure. I am going to test drive both in few days and will know for sure but if new GX460 rides similar to GX470, I am not sure.
I hated the ride of my father in laws 06 GX470.

The 2010 GX has KDSS standard. Body roll in hard cornering is greatly reduced.

Reliability issue actually doesn't faze me a bit as I have an extensive exprience in engine/transmission rebuild to troubleshooting complex electrical issues etc.

Most people want to enjoy DRIVING their vehicle rather than repairing it or visiting the dealership to see it in service.

It's like my head is telling me to go with GX but heart is on LR4...

You're the one writing the check or making the payments. Good luck!
QUOTE]
Old 01-19-10, 04:13 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Maybe you should lease instead of buy? That way you can enjoy the Land Rover and not have to deal with the long term headaches that may ensue. Also you could save up for an LX570 while you're on the LR lease
there you go

After your lease is up and you're still happy with it, buy it out.

IMO, the best looking suv is the RR sport, but I got better things to do than to make service calls
Old 01-20-10, 11:02 PM
jjbenzo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree that Land Rover is known for reliability issues, but I do feel as if they have been working very hard on reducing problems since Tata took over Jaguar and Land Rover. Either way you go, you will be under warranty for the first four years. I too like the freshened LR4 and would have a hard time deciding between the GX460 and LR4. Keep us posted!
Old 01-25-10, 12:44 PM
tjp74
Driver

If you love your GX, don't need to read this. This is not to bash GX. This is for buyers considering other vehicles in addition to GX.

Ok. I got LR4 last friday. We have 3 Land Rover dealers in our area and none of them can keep the trucks on the lot more than few weeks. Low production is the issue but it's also selling faster than anyone expected. One dealer, just under 10 miles from my house happened to receive the one I wanted, fully loaded, white with black interior and optional grand black lacquer wood trim (aka Piano finish). I had to pull the trigger on that one real fast before someone else.

Prior to the purchase, I attended the GX launch event at a local Lexus dealer and had an opportunity to check it out for extended priod of time.

When I first saw GX460 in photos, I was excited about the interior look. But after seeing LR4's all new interior and GX interior in person, that shiny silver looking plastics on GX's dash and door panels look like a joke compare to gorgeous looking brushed/polished "real" steel on LR4. I am sorry but that's way too much plastics for $60k+ car if you ask me. I remember reading a review where writer critized the new GX being over priced new 4Runner. Yeah that's not true but I felt Lexus could have done better on the interior. I learned that Toyota is trying to do a major cost cut on new models. I think I can see it. I think Lexus didn't go all out on new GX.

And 5 camera 360' surrounding monitoring system on LR4 which can be fully operational at full speed, each view can be selected, zomed in, moved around blows the wide view camera option on GX out of the water. If you are going to add a feature, why not do it all the way (cost cut)? Plus wide view camera on GX was tied to more expensive option groups and wasn't even available yet or really hard to find in early builds according to my dealer.

I felt LR made a giant leap on this 2010 redesign. They claim they had to change over 1300 parts compare to 2009 LR3. The material, design and fit of interior felt better than GX to me. Plus my LR4 came at $59K fully loaded MSRP compared to $62K plus for GX similarly equipped without wide view camera and inteligent high beam option. With standard 19" wheel compared to smallish 18" wheel on GX, it was simply a better car for the money.

The cargo space, head and leg rooms expecially the 3rd row seat was noticeably better on LR4 and my 2.5 year old daughter has been estatic about the glass roof above her head and being able to see the "twinkle little" stars etc. Plus LR4 2nd row seat are devided more evenly, 35/30/35, my wife feels much comfortable if she has to seat between two car seats. On GX, outboard passengers get bigger share of seat then the middle person.
A small family or couple with no or grown up kids, GX will be fine. But for family with very young childrens needing car seats I find that LR4 provides room and comfort I didn't find in GX.

Now no cars are without flaws. I find that it's much harder to close the door compare to my old GS and old 07 GX470. Sale's man claimed that it's because they had to put heavy duty door seals to make it water proof. LR4 is designed to go through the water that's like headlight deep.

Rear top hatch is also very hard to close. A GS style power auto closure would have been really nice.

I miss the cooled seat and auto dimming outside mirror.

Engine doesn't feel as silky smooth as GX that Lexus is known for but does give you more sporty sound and it definitely feels more powerful.
But it does feel smoother than my GS350 which also has a direct fuel injection that new GX doesn't which is known to make the gas engine feel like diesel engine sometimes.

Rear AC/Heater control doesnt have any LCD display like GX does. This is one of few items that got carried over from 09.
A 110V outlet would have been nice but 12v outlet is in the cargo area so I guess I will just buy a invertor or retrofit one my self. Does new GX come with 110v outlet? I know old one does and it came in handy few times.

Rear entertainment system, although I didn't get it, looks way better on GX. If something like that was available on LR4, I would have gladly paid for it.

The starter button has to be pressed longer than Lexus one when starting or shutting down. In my old GS, I simply touch the button and engien will start. On LR4, I have to press and hold it for 1-2 seconds. It will take getting used to.

Wiper seems noiser but I guess chaging the blades to differen kind could fix this.

Front parking sensor is sound only, no visual graphic display like my GS used to to. But I've got two cameras at the front!

Nav screen size is smaller than GX. I like the larger screen on GX plus night mode (changes the back ground color to black) navigation lacks on LR4.

No memory seat for front passenger side.

And this is one gas guzzling truck.

Anyway I am extremly happy with my truck so far and I love it so much so that I am willing to put up with any reliability issue down the road. But looking at the things they improved on 2010 redesign I am also expecting they worked hard to improve the reliability too.

Again, like I said before, Land Rover is not for everyone. I happened to love their unique old-world classic design and it fit my family better than GX. But if you are in a market for GX, do check out LR4. Don't simply dismiss it thinking of old Land Rover Discovery or LR3 with crappy interior quality, ride and reliability issues. If you do, you are going to miss a lot.

My father in law, althogh impressed with LR4 interior, will get the new GX to replace their old GX470. They don't have anyone else to ride in the back and being older folks and not much interested in design details and gadgets etc, they just want a SUV that can tow their RV trailer without any fuss.

Btw, if there are interests from potential buyer, I will post some pictures for comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GX460 and Land Rover LR4