Browse all: Lexus IS Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

DOme light cover removal need help

Old 10-25-09, 08:06 PM
DJSirkit13
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dome light cover removal need help plz

I just ordered 5 led boards from nigel jdm parts. but having a few issues with this.

1.) I can't get the front cover of (yes i did remove the two screw)
i searched but couldn't find any DIY with pics and I knw for a fact alot of ppl have changed the bulbs so please help, ive read to pull the front down hard as possible but which front the one by the windshield or the side facing the rear?

2.) Has anybody ordered the LED boards from nigel and are they really as bright as some people say they are?

3.) if they are really that bright do I need two in the rear dome or is one enough? ( PS I plan on putting two in the rear and 3 in the Front but if i only need one in the back then i can use the xtra for the trunk)

4.) Where in the front & rear dome light housing did you stick the board two I wouldn't think it would be safe to stick some thing to the connectors that hang dwn but if there is no danger y not.

5.) can those led boards be used for the door courtsey and the mirrors again where and how would i stick them too.

Thankyou & please help really need help with these problems want to get it all done within the next couple of days

Last edited by DJSirkit13; 10-26-09 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-26-09, 08:04 AM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all you don't need to remove the whole thing. All you need to do is get a very small flathead and pry the lens off VERY carefully cause it'll dent. And that's it.
Old 01-14-10, 04:14 PM
GoGators
Rookie

I have the same question. I found one other post that kinda shows how to do it, but not really how to get the clips to disengage. I also read to remove just the lens, but again, no pics and risk of damage. With so many folks that have done the light mod, please help us with your lessons learned. The last thing I want to do is break something or damage it because I do not know how to get it apart. Thanks to all the great members who are always willing to help a newbie out!!
Old 01-14-10, 04:22 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

I'll post some pictures later tonight, but it's very easy. I went to the kitchen and got a strong steak knife. Found the two clip on the cover and just pop it over, took less than a minute and is much easier than going through the sunglasses cover.

My biggest mistake was twisting off the cap as I thought that's how you remove the light. It took me 20 or 30 minutes to put it back in place. Remember you just need to pull the light bulb down and it will pop off from the adapter.
Old 01-14-10, 04:28 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Thanks, I look forward to it. Did you do the rear one and the courtesy lights too? I just got my interior LED kit and am changing all of them.
Old 01-14-10, 04:36 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GoGators
Thanks, I look forward to it. Did you do the rear one and the courtesy lights too? I just got my interior LED kit and am changing all of them.
Yes the rear was easy. Just use a flathead. Just make sure you put some tape over the flathead as the plastic will scape easily.

I only used two white led, one in the front dome and one in the back. It was really bright (don't look directly into the light or your eyes will burn).. so 5 might be overkill. I might put one in the truck.
Old 01-14-10, 05:08 PM
djsai
Lexus Test Driver

I just did this mod 2 days ago its very easy.

For the Front Dome:

1. Open the sunglass holder in the dome. Take a small flathead or something that has a tip that looks like a toothpic and put it in the opening of the clip and gently put pressure on the flat head pushing it away from you and at the same time pulling it down. Do the same for both of clips to access the screws

2. Then all you do is unscrew the screws and the back part of your dome compartment that is closest to the windshield will open up. All you have to do is slowly start applying pressure and work your way to the front and just apply force and pull it down. It will not break. Its just has two clips that is holdin the front. Just pull it down with force.

3. Now just put the led's in and your good to go.

Sorry if my instructions are hard to understand. If you still need help just pm I can give my number and help you out.
Old 01-14-10, 05:32 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Cool beans dj. Will do. I will be doing this over the weekend (car in the shop for some rework tonite or I would be doing it now). The members on this forum are awesome.
Old 01-14-10, 10:57 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

First get a small thin knife like this. If you have a very thin flathead that will work too, but all my flathead were too big. You will need this something thin and strong enough to detach the clips from the socket.

There are four clips holding the dome cover together. Unclip the two that I highlighted using the edge of the knife. Shouldn't take too much force to unclip it from the socket. Once you detach the two clip, it should come down easily.

Next, don't twist on the light bulb. Simply pull straight down.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Initial_K; 07-30-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-14-10, 11:35 PM
jschao
Driver School Candidate

Man I had a lot of trouble with installing the LED boards for the front dome light. The knife trick above seems like it'll do the job, but I took a much longer approach after failing using a flathead from the outside:

I removed the two screws in the sunglasses holder and pulled down the entire assembly (detaching the cable). Then I removed the three bulbs (since we're using the LED boards) and used a pencil with an eraser on it to push on the corners of the lens to pop it from the inside out (eraser side, of course). After that it was just plugging in the boards. Good luck!
Old 01-15-10, 04:31 PM
GoGators
Rookie

Thanks, will try tomorrow. The IS is in the shop to get the front lip spoiler repainted and the mystery object blocking my cupholder from opening removed. Has anyone got pics of the rear and courtesy lights? Any tricks that we need to know so we (I) don't break anything?

Edit: Knife trick worked perfectly. Rear cover has a little slot, so it is really easy, and the courtesy lights pop out very easily. Thanks forum!!

Last edited by GoGators; 01-16-10 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-31-10, 01:30 AM
ennjay
Rookie

So hows the quality of the bubs? Was two in the front bright enough? How about the back?
Old 01-31-10, 03:19 PM
Initial_K
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ennjay
So hows the quality of the bubs? Was two in the front bright enough? How about the back?
You can put 3 in the front dome, but one is enough and super bright for me.

One in the back.
Old 02-10-10, 05:04 PM
GoGators
Rookie

I want to give big props to V-LEDs. Their customer service is second to none and their product is top notch. Get all of your lights from them. Put all three in. How can it be too bright? The 5K light looks great. I wish had more bulbs I could replace. Yellow filament bulbs are obsolete in my opinion.
Old 07-30-10, 02:19 PM
Synetix250
Driver

i read this post a coupel hours ago and randomly decided to try initial k's method on my lunch hour cause I was bored. it seems to be a little easier and less nerve-racking than taking out the scrwes and pulling the housing down. if you work really carefully, you can pop off the lense without damaging any plastic surrounding it. and if you look real close you can see the two tabs near the corners of the lense on where to put your credit card, screwdriver or whatever you're using. when i get my led's i'm gonna use the lense pop off method.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DOme light cover removal need help