RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

is the new RX towable?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-09, 02:45 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts
Default is the new RX towable?

From what I have researched, the 2008-2009's are, but not the 2010's. What has changed so much that makes the new model not towable? Is it just lawyers, computers, and warranty concerns or was something mechanically changed? Being able to tow this vehicle will be a deal-maker for me.
Old 11-27-09, 06:50 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never heard of a car that is not towable. At the worst case, you can get a flatbed to carry the car. What have you read?
Old 11-27-09, 07:13 AM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's exactly the same as on the previous RX

Old 11-27-09, 11:40 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

always flatbed a lexus
Old 11-27-09, 03:24 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Great responses. I should have specified, this would be for towing with all four wheels on the ground behind a motorhome (no trailer or dolly). Most vehicles cannot be towed this way due to issues with the differentials, transmissions, drivelines, etc. The last RX was towable for two model years, then taken off the list without any sort of explanation why. If it's just a matter of shutting off certain programs, maybe there's a way to get around it with the new RX (?). This car is for my mom and dad and being able to tow it is a huge factor in their purchase. Often manufacturers make these vehicles towable, only to say it's not, to keep people from screwing up something and having warranty issues. Their current MDX is officially towable only if you go through a transmission shift regime and wait several minutes before driving off. Anything similar possible with the new RX? I'm doing everything I can to help them get in this vehicle.
TIA
Old 11-28-09, 08:19 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

I believe some of people are never worrying about "how to tow". They either don't know or don't care. A few weeks ago I just saw the old couple's RV towed a 2G RX on I-280? without the flatbed or the wheel-lift. I have seen the similar things with varied of models of SUV/sedan frequently. FWD, RWD, or AWD, they don't care...
Old 11-28-09, 08:37 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxets
I believe some of people are never worrying about "how to tow". They either don't know or don't care. A few weeks ago I just saw the old couple's RV towed a 2G RX on I-280? without the flatbed or the wheel-lift. I have seen the similar things with varied of models of SUV/sedan frequently. FWD, RWD, or AWD, they don't care...
They better care! Towing a care that is not made to be towed will chew up and burn out axles, transmission, and other driveline parts. Either a car is made for it or it isn't. I am having the hardest time figuring out if the new RX is or not.
Old 11-29-09, 06:17 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by rxets
People are so incredibly ignorant sometimes.

I agree with RXSF, always flat bed the RX.
Old 11-29-09, 12:55 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
People are so incredibly ignorant sometimes.

I agree with RXSF, always flat bed the RX.
If a vehicle is officially designed to be towed, there is no harm in doing so as long as you take the right precautions and follow the instructions in the manual. For those just towing anything w/o researching it, then yes... that is ignorant. But there is a whole world of RV'ers out there who tow their Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, and many other things behind their $500k diesel motorhomes. We aren't talking about a break down and calling a local tow truck. This is a known industry and passtime where manufacturers specifically make vehicles for towing behind recreation vehicles. At this point, I'm trying to find out here what the new RX can or can't handle and why Lexus might have switched since the last model.
Old 11-29-09, 10:55 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

trust me, it was exactly the same
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...html&locale=en
Old 11-30-09, 12:45 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
If a vehicle is officially designed to be towed, there is no harm in doing so as long as you take the right precautions and follow the instructions in the manual. For those just towing anything w/o researching it, then yes... that is ignorant. But there is a whole world of RV'ers out there who tow their Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, and many other things behind their $500k diesel motorhomes. We aren't talking about a break down and calling a local tow truck. This is a known industry and passtime where manufacturers specifically make vehicles for towing behind recreation vehicles. At this point, I'm trying to find out here what the new RX can or can't handle and why Lexus might have switched since the last model.
Fizzboy
As posted in the placard on the 1st page of this string, the FWD only models can be towed on the rear wheels with correct equipment (dolly under the FWD wheels). If your car is AWD then an additional dolly for the rear wheels will be required. Now if you have a $500,000 motor home do it like our friends in FL. They have a painted (like the motor home) enclosed car trailer they tow their car and two motor cycles in, and completely out of the weather .
Old 11-30-09, 01:51 PM
lex
Lexus Test Driver

you need that, but bigger, to fit the RX

Old 11-30-09, 10:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Fizzboy
As posted in the placard on the 1st page of this string, the FWD only models can be towed on the rear wheels with correct equipment (dolly under the FWD wheels). If your car is AWD then an additional dolly for the rear wheels will be required. Now if you have a $500,000 motor home do it like our friends in FL. They have a painted (like the motor home) enclosed car trailer they tow their car and two motor cycles in, and completely out of the weather .
I'll be sure to mention the SUV in motorhome idea to my parents. hehe
Thanks for the info and tips.
Old 12-01-09, 10:35 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lex
you need that, but bigger, to fit the RX
This one is so cool. I heard about that before, but am never able to figure out how this RV works.