LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS in the hospital!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-09, 01:04 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Red face LS in the hospital!

Drove maybe two blocks after lunch today and all hell broke loose. Check VSC light came on, Check Engine light came on, message on dash saying See Dealer. The engine was running VERY rough, and if I tried to accelerate, the whole car shook.

I limped to the dealer, and the early diagnosis is a broken valve spring. They'll have to do surgery to know for sure, so they tell me I might get it back Monday.

Cards and memorial contributions will of course be welcomed.

Old 11-04-09, 01:06 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch, that sounds troublesome indeed. Best wishes for you car's complete recovery.
Old 11-04-09, 01:36 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Darn, and I had a bouquet of flowers all picked out...
Old 11-04-09, 02:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man sorry to hear that, doesn't look pretty. hope you can get the car back soon
Old 11-04-09, 02:19 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Burnaby
Darn, and I had a bouquet of flowers all picked out...
It's not too late, Burnaby ... give the flowers to the wife and send cash. I'll PM you my Paypal address!

Old 11-04-09, 02:22 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, encore and Rominl - I'm sure she'll be okay.

I WILL say it's the first time a Lexus has crapped out on me, and the first time in years ANY of my cars has gone lame like this. But anything mechanical can and will break at some point ... and this was just my car's time.

Thank goodness for warranties, though!

Old 11-04-09, 02:49 PM
Xwakeboard
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drove maybe two blocks after lunch today and all hell broke loose. Check VSC light came on, Check Engine light came on, message on dash saying See Dealer. The engine was running VERY rough, and if I tried to accelerate, the whole car shook.

I limped to the dealer, and the early diagnosis is a broken valve spring. They'll have to do surgery to know for sure, so they tell me I might get it back Monday.

In you time of need the last thing you want to hear from is a naysayer, however, this happened to my mother's LS on the way home from the dealership on the first night of ownership and the ultimate diagnosis was the cracked valve spring caused the car to die and it was replaced. Fingers crossed for a better resolution sir.
Old 11-04-09, 04:01 PM
TNLS600hL
Rookie

man that sucks which dealer did you bring it to?
Old 11-04-09, 04:10 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Stay on top of the service dept. Mike.

If the valve spring broke, most likely the valve fell into the cylinder. If it did, then the piston and cylinder wall are damaged. That requires replacement of both.

Don't let them shortchange you here!
Old 11-04-09, 07:54 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TNLS600hL
man that sucks which dealer did you bring it to?
Park Place in Grapevine. That's where I got the car.

Old 11-04-09, 07:58 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Stay on top of the service dept. Mike.

If the valve spring broke, most likely the valve fell into the cylinder. If it did, then the piston and cylinder wall are damaged. That requires replacement of both.

Don't let them shortchange you here!
I was kind of thinking along those lines myself. I mentioned to my service writer that I would expect the valve to wedge itself in the crown of the piston if the spring broke, but he said nah, it would just fail to open and cause that miss.

But unless these are double-wound springs (which they may well be), there's nothing to hold the valve in the closed position.

I might add I didn't hear the tell-tale rattling I'd expect from a valve whacking around loose in the cylinder ...

In any case, it's a leased car, so ultimately it's Lexus' problem.

Old 11-04-09, 07:59 PM
CEOEngr
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a issue that has randomly afflicted a few other Toyota engines including my 2006 Tundra. LS460 shares the same engine (short block) with Toyota Tundra and Sequoia. My truck acted exactly the same at 600 miles while idleing after a cold start and the diagnosis was the same as Mike's. Toyota replaced the engine and I was back on the road in two days and given an extended warranty by the dealer. This past August, one of my neighbors' 08 Sequoia was flatbeded to the shop under the same conditions at 8,000+ miles. The dealer replaced the head, springs, and two of the valves, supposedly no other damages to the internals.
Old 11-04-09, 08:11 PM
Mike_TX
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CEOEngr
This is a issue that has randomly afflicted a few other Toyota engines including my 2006 Tundra. LS460 shares the same engine (short block) with Toyota Tundra and Sequoia. My truck acted exactly the same at 600 miles while idleing after a cold start and the diagnosis was the same as Mike's. Toyota replaced the engine and I was back on the road in two days and given an extended warranty by the dealer. This past August, one of my neighbors' 08 Sequoia was flatbeded to the shop under the same conditions at 8,000+ miles. The dealer replaced the head, springs, and two of the valves, supposedly no other damages to the internals.
I knew I had heard something about this somewhere (here?), so I'm not completely surprised.

I know they can replace the spring without even removing the head (or at least I think they can), so I will question them about potential piston and cylinder damage.

But I figure if the valve went swimming in the combustion chamber and got intimate with the piston, it will be damaged and won't stand up to a compression test (or will be obviously bent). That will of course tell them it's time to "go in" and find out how bad things are.

It will be interesting!

Hey - maybe I can get them to bore it out to 5.0L and 500hp!

Old 11-04-09, 08:29 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear that, best of luck to your repair, I hope you get it back soon ...
Old 11-05-09, 12:09 AM
TNLS600hL
Rookie

Park Place in Grapevine. That's where I got the car.

That's where we got our 600h too. Hey we should have a LS owners meet up in DFW and cruise around! haha

Quick Reply: LS in the hospital!