Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2jz-gte + w58...clutch component concerns...

Old 10-25-09, 02:05 AM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2jz-gte + w58...clutch component concerns...

Well I obliterated my stock aristo tranny a while back so im in the process of going 5 speed with a stock w58 trans a buddy gave me. My motor is basically BPU at around 17-18 psi (i did the wastgate bleeder T mod) in TTC mode.

I have a stock clutch right now but i do not know if it can handle it. My buddy also gave me some sort of aftermaker pressure plate that is red (maybe south bend?) but i have no clue what brand it is. Would that aftermarket pressure plate mated with a stock disk suffice the power im putting down (around 400 rwhp). Does anyone know what the limit is for the stock clutch? I really would like to know for sure cz i have a new one sitting around and ill just use that if it will hold the power.

My concerns are that this vehicle is my daily and i drive alot so i dont want anything rash or hard pedal feel wise. I can live with a little stiffer pedal but nothing too extreme. I do, although, drive "sprited" so i want to be able to put the power down and not worry about blowing **** up.

Also im looking into lightweight flywheels but im just worried that it may make alot of noise or chatter. Anybody have experiance with this? Help make my decision, i need to get back in my Lexo, get it on the road, and get the F out of my sisters Honda Prelude (yuck, stupid hondas)...

-Zeeshaun

Last edited by jdmJZA70; 10-25-09 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-25-09, 03:06 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dont do it i just blew my w58, dont waste time go r154 or 6speed.
Old 10-25-09, 04:57 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
dont do it i just blew my w58, dont waste time go r154 or 6speed.
I need to get on the road, i cant stand VTEC...I cant wait any longer so the w58 is my only option as of right now. From my understanding, the w58 should hold 400 to the ground no problem. Ill go 6 speed when i go single. I just need to know what the stock clutch capacity is and what are some good aftermarket clutches that can hold the power to the ground. I am personally very interested in the Southbend Clutches...anybody have experiance with these clutches?
Old 10-25-09, 05:33 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

dude, i dont care what clutch you use. stock clutch will slip and a beefy clutch your going to break the w58 400 BS im running 13-15 psi and it blew up. if you do put it in its gonna blow and your gonna have to wait even longer. once you drive the car your gonna be addicted like crack and when it breaks and you cant feel BOOST any more your gonna go crazy. your basically wasting money and time. take it from someone that has done the same exact thing and im telling you its gonna blow.. im trying to be helpful so just stick with the POS honda. do it right the first time, dont waste time!
Old 10-25-09, 06:11 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

dude, i dont care what clutch you use. stock clutch will slip and a beefy clutch your going to break the w58 400 BS im running 13-15 psi and it blew up. if you do put it in its gonna blow and your gonna have to wait even longer. once you drive the car your gonna be addicted like crack and when it breaks and you cant feel BOOST any more your gonna go crazy. your basically wasting money and time. take it from someone that has done the same exact thing and im telling you its gonna blow.. im trying to be helpful so just stick with the POS honda. do it right the first time, dont waste time!
Woah, calm down man...im not trying to start anything. I dont know what the condition of ur tranny is but i know of a few guys down here in Texas running the w58 well over 400 rwhp day in and day out and it hasnt blown up anything. I personally know a guy, GTE and single on a w58 who dynoed 427 rwhp and has been running that setup for a while now. Im sorry you blew ur tranny up but that doesnt mean that mine will too. I have personal experiance bc iv owned them all...1j's, 2j's, r154s, w58s, a340s, you name it, iv had it. So i have a basic idea of what item can take what kind of abuse. I also have access to a v160, im just trying to peice together the matching 6 speed diff, ds, lsd, etc (i dont want to use the gs400 rear end). Like i said, ill go 6 speed when i go single...

I will agree with you, the w58 is not the wisest choice for a BPU motor but its all i have for now that is readily availiable to drop in and needs to make due for now. Yes, the w58 is prone to failure at raised power levels but i dont think under 400 is an issue, it is pushing it but i should be ok. Im sorry urs failed you.

The Honda is my sisters car and she kinda needs it back..so i really have no choice but to get my car running. I just wanted to get a good clutch kit and wanted ppls opinions...

Im currently looking at the:

-Southbend Steet series clutch kit

-PHR street/strip clutch

-Spec Stage 2+

-Clutchmasters

-I dont know about ACT though, i dont want there unsprung solid disk, iv sat in it and its way to harsh for me liking...any opinions would be great.

-Zeeshaun
Old 10-25-09, 06:19 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

if you have experience and you have owned them whats the point of this thread? lol i might sound like a jerk but im the farthest thing from it man. im super nice i just get irritated. sure it will handle 400hp but if you are doing any real driving you will blow it up all i did was a 3rd gear pull into 4th and BOOM blew it up. if you are just driving around normal and not shifting or trying to haul *** then yea it will hold it.
Old 10-25-09, 06:21 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

well i have had only one clutch combo in my bpu'd 1jz+w58 it was the fidanza lightweight alum flywheel and the centerforce dual friction clutch kit.. it worked well and held the power i was putting down. the pedal feel was nice not super stiff, not noisy either. it probably cost 300 for the fly and 350 for the pp disc. once my new motorsetup is up and running i will be doing the ppg w-series straight cut doggear set.. and that same clutch combo as it only had like 2500 miles on it. should be fun
Old 10-25-09, 06:36 PM
TURBO819
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I was using the stock clutch with my 2jzgte swap. I was unable to get full boost (11psi) without the clutch slipping. I baby it for a year. I was told by a friend to use the RPS pressure plate with the stock disk. I went with the stock disk because I wanted it as close to the stock feel as I could get.

This was taken from MVP Motorsports.com

"This package includes the RPS Max Pressure Plate and the RPS Street Disc. It is a full face organic disc that is extremely slippable and the most friendly disc you could ever put in your Supra.

This clutch kit can hold up to 440 foot pounds of torque & is 60% stiffer than stock. This clutch is the most streetable clutch you can buy and will hold 400+ RWHP."
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...780&SearchYN=N
I am in the process of going single so I can't shine any light on this clutch set-up yet
Old 10-25-09, 06:42 PM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

i wouldn't bother with the stock friction disc at all. The pressure plate might hold the disc down a bit more, but i would think that the disc would go out even faster than a stock pressure plate.

i can't offer any aftermarket recommendations, but anything other than the stock one would be better.
Old 10-25-09, 06:55 PM
Carfreak70
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Cleanshots is 100% correct. Dont waste your time man. The W58 is crap. Im going to do the R154 swap to my GS eventually
Old 10-25-09, 06:57 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

if you have experience and you have owned them whats the point of this thread? lol i might sound like a jerk but im the farthest thing from it man. im super nice i just get irritated. sure it will handle 400hp but if you are doing any real driving you will blow it up all i did was a 3rd gear pull into 4th and BOOM blew it up. if you are just driving around normal and not shifting or trying to haul *** then yea it will hold it.
Like i said, this car is my daily, i need it for school work. Yes i drive spirited from time to time but im not lead footed if that is what you mean. The point of this thread is to try and find different opinions on different kinds of clutchsetups. Im sure im not the only one who is curious.

You say ur a nice guy but then come off as a hard ***. You being irritated is not my problem so plz dont take it out on me...i dono man, im sorry if i offended you in any way.

Originally Posted by audi2nr
well i have had only one clutch combo in my bpu'd 1jz+w58 it was the fidanza lightweight alum flywheel and the centerforce dual friction clutch kit.. it worked well and held the power i was putting down. the pedal feel was nice not super stiff, not noisy either. it probably cost 300 for the fly and 350 for the pp disc. once my new motorsetup is up and running i will be doing the ppg w-series straight cut doggear set.. and that same clutch combo as it only had like 2500 miles on it. should be fun
I was looking at that exact setup that you are referring to, i just dont know if the lighweight flywheel will chatter or make odd noises of any sort. I like the centerforce dual friction. Did you find it suitable for DD?

Originally Posted by TURBO819
I was using the stock clutch with my 2jzgte swap. I was unable to get full boost (11psi) without the clutch slipping. I baby it for a year. I was told by a friend to use the RPS pressure plate with the stock disk. I went with the stock disk because I wanted it as close to the stock feel as I could get.

This was taken from MVP Motorsports.com

"This package includes the RPS Max Pressure Plate and the RPS Street Disc. It is a full face organic disc that is extremely slippable and the most friendly disc you could ever put in your Supra.

This clutch kit can hold up to 440 foot pounds of torque & is 60% stiffer than stock. This clutch is the most streetable clutch you can buy and will hold 400+ RWHP."
http://www.mvpmotorsports.com/Templa...780&SearchYN=N
I am in the process of going single so I can't shine any light on this clutch set-up yet
That looks like a good candidate also. I dont want a "puck" style disk as iv experianced to much effin noise. Im looking into something with semi organic/kevlar facing...Im trying to stay away from metal disk as i dont want that sucker to get welded on to my flywheel.

Originally Posted by StiCk3
i wouldn't bother with the stock friction disc at all. The pressure plate might hold the disc down a bit more, but i would think that the disc would go out even faster than a stock pressure plate.

i can't offer any aftermarket recommendations, but anything other than the stock one would be better.
My assumptions exactly, thats why i made this thread.
Old 10-25-09, 08:08 PM
audi2nr
Lexus Test Driver

i would say the fidanza/centerforce combo is extremely plesant for dd and it held up to the abuse i threw at it which included quite a bit of hard launching. as far as noise/chatter i have had zero problems with this setup. if i had any noise it was from the damn spring on the clutch pedal lol.
Old 10-25-09, 10:51 PM
jdmJZA70
Pole Position

Originally Posted by audi2nr
i would say the fidanza/centerforce combo is extremely plesant for dd and it held up to the abuse i threw at it which included quite a bit of hard launching. as far as noise/chatter i have had zero problems with this setup. if i had any noise it was from the damn spring on the clutch pedal lol.
wow. i think we have a winner! may i ask a couple of questions though?

-What was ur setup engine wise?

-How much hp/tq were u putting down?

-How many lbs of boost?

-How long did u use that flywheel/clutch combo for?

-Tires/suspension setup (wider wheels have more stress on tranny)?

-Where is a good place to purchase this clutch from?

thanks man, u have been very helpful!

-Zeeshaun
Old 11-01-09, 02:49 AM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

I've had a custom Kevlar Kevlar clutch plate on my w58 for a couple of years. It's successfully held ~420whp and 408wt, though I do not beat on this car. Right now it is the weak link in the most recent upgrade that bumped my number up to those in current sig.

There is no chance in hell that a stock plate handles that power.
Old 11-01-09, 04:45 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it all depends on how you drive your car with the W58, ive been drifting on my w58 for 2 years with about 380hp and 383 torque and its been just fine. on the steets i drive like a woman so that probably helps. you need to learn how to drive and your w58 will be just fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2jz-gte + w58...clutch component concerns...