Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY brake bleeding?

Old 10-08-09, 11:45 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts
Default DIY brake bleeding?

Has anyone done a DIY brake bleeding on the 2GS?
Old 10-08-09, 11:48 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Well if you do it right while changing brakes, you usually dont need to You DO pinch off the brake line before you press the piston back in right? Also, I believe I remember seeing a plug for the caliper that allows you to bleed it with ease by yourself.

(I just re read your post, my answer is a little on a tangent )
Old 10-09-09, 12:35 AM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

i havent done it myself on a 2gs, but it should be like any other car.
attach a hose to the bleeder screws, have someone pump the brakes and hold, you open the bleeder screws for a bit and then close.
rinse and repeat until all air is gone
Old 10-09-09, 08:15 AM
lexus ASM
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do it, but you need a friend to help, not a one man job.

Front: Do it like you would on a normal vehicle: pump, hold, bleed.

Rear: Have someone at the rear bleeder screw. Turn the vehicle to the on position, apply the brakes with steady pressure, do not hold it all the way to the floor. Then have the person at the rear loosen the bleeder screw and bleed while the person inside the vehicle keeps pressure on the pedal. The ABS pump will do the work for you.

***Make sure you have a bottle of brake fluid inverted into the reservoir when you do this, the pump can evacuate a large amount of fluid quite quickly.

****If you are unsure then take it to the dealer and they can do it with a scan tool, expect to pay for 2 hours labor. It takes that long to do it properly, and it is the best way to do it(hint,hint). The dealer bleeds each line separately by actuating the pumps in order to avoid trapping air in the lines. Something that happens pretty easily whrn you do it by hand.
Old 10-09-09, 09:07 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Well if you do it right while changing brakes, you usually dont need to You DO pinch off the brake line before you press the piston back in right?
is this another joke? You don't Pinch the brake line....EVER
Old 10-09-09, 09:22 AM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd say it's the same as on most other cars, with one exception. You have to have the ignition on, or else the fluid won't flow. Took me forever to figure that out, but once I did, it was a breeze.

I would never pinch a brake line when retracting a caliper - I crack open the bleeder screw and let the "extra" fluid drain out through it.

Leon
Old 10-09-09, 09:44 AM
SorrGwa
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

start from rear passenger, then rear driver, the front passenger, then the front driver corner.

for the rears, turn key ignition to "on" position, car doesnt have to be running, just power to the brake distribution system. 1 person in the car, press the brake pedal. person at the back brake releases the brake bleeder screw. for the rears, u dont need to pump the brakes, just 1 press, and the brake pump will pump fluid out. keep an eye until the brake fluid is clear and no air bubbles. do the same to the other rear brake corner.

w/ engine off and key out, for the fronts, 1 person in the car, pump the brakes 3 times, then hold steady pressure on the brake pedal. other person opens the bleeder screw, and let the fluid drain out of the bleeder screw until the person in the car can feel the brake pedal has hit the floor. keep pressure on the brake pedal. close the bleeder screw back up. repeat process 4-5 times until fluid is clear, and no air bubbles.

make sure to top off brake fluid, but u should be ok, just keep an eye on the resevoir after every brake corner has been done. the resevoir on the GS is pretty big.

the point is to see clear fluid drain out and no air bubbles in the line.
Old 10-09-09, 09:48 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

im not sure if hes asking if someone did a TUT or a video on it.. since if i recall correctly the OP had explained how to do it on other threads.. but not sure.
Old 10-09-09, 10:00 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

This is why I use solo-bleeder valves on my calipers. One-man brake bleeding
Old 10-09-09, 11:15 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by speedaddic
is this another joke? You don't Pinch the brake line....EVER
no comment... and I'm not talking about the steel lines, I'm talking the rubber one behind the caliper. Look up ANY write up on how to change brakes and its shows how and why and what damage that COULD happen. I've NEVER done the pinching before till recently. I've never had a problem with not pinching, but what I've found out that could happen is just not worth it...

I wont go into it any further. as to create an argument/discussion. and why you say "another" joke. Did I misrepresent something in the past?

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-09-09 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 06:25 PM
NIXmx
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lexus ASM
If you are unsure then take it to the dealer and they can do it with a scan tool, expect to pay for 2 hours labor. It takes that long to do it properly, and it is the best way to do it(hint,hint). The dealer bleeds each line separately by actuating the pumps in order to avoid trapping air in the lines. Something that happens pretty easily whrn you do it by hand.
I was quoted $120 to bleed all 4 lines at the dealership. It's the only way to do it CORRECTLY. It's a PITA process that requires a scan tool. Trust me. I do all my work (personally and customers') by the book. The book I follow for my personal cars are the FSMs.

"Do it right, do it once."
Old 10-09-09, 07:02 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

From what I have searched on this forum. One member regretted bring his car to the dealership for a brake fluid change or flush however you want to call it. He responded, "All they did was just sucked out the brake fluid from the reservior with a machine and filled it up with new brake fluid and that's it". That's why his brake pedal feels soft and not hard. And that was his rant about that. According to "ALLDATA" you are suppose to use a scanner from Toyota/Lexus which is MasterTech I believe. And let the scanner do the job. There is a regulator (I think that's what it is) where you can switch to rears and to fronts. You would select one and bleed one side and to another. Needless to say, I just wanted to see has anyone done a DIY on brake bleeding themselves would like to share what worked for them.
Old 10-09-09, 07:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GSteg
GSteg, I remember I asked you this question and you said use a vacuum pump for each individual. But is that with the Key On for front and/or rear?

I also heard people saying that you can bleed the rears by turn the key to on and push once and hold the brake pedal and let the abs motor do the work. But wouldn't it burn the motor? And as for the fronts you just take out the key and bleed it normally like any other car. True?
Old 10-09-09, 07:10 PM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
+1 on the solo bleeder. except I always went to my friends and borrowed it lol.
Old 10-09-09, 07:48 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
+1 on the solo bleeder. except I always went to my friends and borrowed it lol.
Do you put the key on when doing this method?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY brake bleeding?