RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Newbie with a question about rear seat entertainment????

Old 09-04-09, 07:52 AM
Oooop2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie with a question about rear seat entertainment????

Hello...I'm a newbie to Lexus and this forum.
I purchased a 2010 RX 350 fully loaded in the smokey grey color about 2wks ago. I am currently on a road trip and wanted to know how can I operate the rear seating entertainment in the back, and still listen to the radio up front. We do have wireless headsets also.

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Old 09-04-09, 01:17 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i haven't tested my rses on a road trip, but i know it's possible. try using the radio up front, then have the rear passenger activate the rear screens via remote control. head phone volume needs to be turned on of course.
Old 09-22-09, 03:02 PM
reefguy
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone know if you can listen to a CD while a DVD is being played on the RSES from the in-dash DVD player and not via the optional input in the center console ??
Old 09-23-09, 10:00 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by reefguy
Does anyone know if you can listen to a CD while a DVD is being played on the RSES from the in-dash DVD player and not via the optional input in the center console ??
you are asking if the DVD player can play both a CD and a DVD disc at the same time, right? no, it can't. the DVD player can only play one DVD or CD at a time. to play a second disc (CD or DVD disc), you would need a separate portable player that plugs into the aux input.
Old 09-23-09, 01:36 PM
reefguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the reply / info. Next question, if using the aux input for video, so that I can listen to a CD, will it transmit the sound to the wireless headphones or is that only when the movies is played using the built-in DVD player ??
Old 09-23-09, 01:42 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Thanks for the reply / info. Next question, if using the aux input for video, so that I can listen to a CD, will it transmit the sound to the wireless headphones or is that only when the movies is played using the built-in DVD player ??
mmm, not sure as i don't have a portable CD player to test this out. but i'm guessing that if you plug the portable CD player into the aux input, it will transmit the sound to the wireless headphones.

off topic: i could listen to the radio (FM/AM/satellite) through the regular speakers while driving, and the DVD player could play the movie for my daughter in the back seat. of course, rear passengers would then need to put on the wireless headphones in order to listen to the movie. note: rear passenger can turn the movie on by using the remote control, or you can control this from the front. listening to the movie through the main speakers should be the default setting tho.

Last edited by Stormforge; 09-23-09 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-23-09, 01:57 PM
reefguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again for the info. Last question, I hope. Is the RSES worth it as opposed to an after market one ? I'm having to wait longer for the car as the ones with this option are in short supply. After just looking at the cost, it's about 3K & change. I'm sure I can get something comparable for a lot less in the aftermarket category. What's you opinion ? What would you consider the pros & cons of both ?
Old 09-23-09, 03:41 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Thanks again for the info. Last question, I hope. Is the RSES worth it as opposed to an after market one ? I'm having to wait longer for the car as the ones with this option are in short supply. After just looking at the cost, it's about 3K & change. I'm sure I can get something comparable for a lot less in the aftermarket category. What's you opinion ? What would you consider the pros & cons of both ?
imho, i'd go with the oem rses. yes, you can get it cheaper aftermarket, but then you would have to spend extra money on professional install (unless you are comfortable with doing install like this).

reason for going with oem rses:
PRO
- oem look and factory warranty (balance of factory warranty, usually 4-5 yrs or X number of miles driven)
- no need to worry about installation/fitment issues
- seamless integration with lexus navi/radio via mouse control (i feel this is an important aspect that shouldn't be ignored)

CON
- aftermarket is cheaper
- professional installation of aftermarket can be expensive; if the installer is not experienced, it could look like a cheap install job (that is a on a top of the line suv)
- aftermarket warranty is usually 1 yr unless you pay for extra coverage

i would only go with aftermarket if i knew the car audio installer had a good reputation for doing high quality install, and if the aftermarket rses had better quality or options that the oem rses doesn't have. if you decide aftermarket, make sure you compare apple to apple in terms of flexibility, screen resolution, ease of use, etc. before you pull the trigger (ie: oem rses has 2 screens, 2 headphones, 1 remote control that controls both screens. will the aftermarket rses have this ability too?, etc). good luck with your decision.
Old 09-23-09, 04:53 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

$3k for two screen DVD player is little too much. For some reason, entertainment package in RX is twice as much as others. You can link to my profile and see what I have done with portal device attached to the headrest. We drive all over east coast playing hockey so portable entertainment is very useful. I had purchased this 7inch dual screen Emerson unit about 4 years ago for about $180. I have the wired headset which both headsets and remote are kept in the rear seat center console. Wired headset will not require battery so there is no need to change or charge batteries. Soon as portal players that supports Blu-ray disc are down to $4-500, I will replace this current one so kids can play both DVD and Blu-ray discs which I begin to accumulate. Like VHS many years ago, DVD format is on its way out
Old 10-04-09, 09:35 AM
Theojt
10th Gear

When I ordered mine, the dealer mentioned that they would do an aftermarket install that was built into the headrests. Note that these are "active" headrests, so they said it was a little complicated but could be done.

I preferred the OEM RSES though - really happy with it now that I have the Prestigious Society override installed too.
Old 02-17-13, 08:30 AM
flkeysdude
Driver School Candidate

Default Necessary to have the remote RSEC controller...???

My 1st post...Great forum...!!!

I recently purchased a RX350 with the rear seat entertainment center from a private party and I'm just attempting to learn to use and take advantage of all of the great features. Somewhere along the line, the remote controller was damaged or lost. Can the RSEC be operated by the rear seat passengers without using the remote controller...???

TIA
Tom
Old 02-18-13, 06:40 AM
Theojt
10th Gear

Originally Posted by flkeysdude
My 1st post...Great forum...!!!

I recently purchased a RX350 with the rear seat entertainment center from a private party and I'm just attempting to learn to use and take advantage of all of the great features. Somewhere along the line, the remote controller was damaged or lost. Can the RSEC be operated by the rear seat passengers without using the remote controller...???

TIA
Tom
No, there are no buttons/controls. It can be operated from the front seat however. Your best bet is to purchase a replacement remote on eBay for $125-$158. Search "Lexus rx 350 entertainment remote".

I have a 2010 and my remote looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails Newbie with a question about rear seat entertainment????-remote.jpg  
Old 02-18-13, 07:42 AM
flkeysdude
Driver School Candidate

Thank you ,,,VERY...much for the prompt response. Your illustration is the same as my instruction manual. I'm taking your advice and will order from eBay. Thanks again...very much appreciated !
Old 03-14-13, 06:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Rear seat entertainment 'other' option

I was just skimming through my latest Hammacher Schlemmer email and came across this for a very reasonable price. It's a real benefit for those that already have an iPad and have some digital movie's copied to it. Price even includes two wireless headphones for watching the movies. It's sure a lot less than the factory option and you still have it when you sell or trade

http://www.hammacher.com/Product/Def...1&promo=xsells
Old 12-04-14, 09:49 PM
flygirl04
Driver School Candidate

Default need help with dvd/rear entertInment

I just purchased a lexus rx450h 2012 fully loaded
I cant for the life of me figure out how to turn on the dvd/rear tv? Its off and i pressed every button on that remote. Also i cant even see the movie on the nav screen. I hear the audio of the movie in the car but nothing on the screens. Help!!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Newbie with a question about rear seat entertainment????