LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

99 LS: just changed rear brakes, now something is rubbing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-09, 12:22 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 99 LS: just changed rear brakes, now something is rubbing

I just replaced my rotors and pads out back. As far as brake jobs go, it went pretty smooth - the little phillips screws on the rotor came right out, and I didn't even have to bust out the impact gun.

The old rotors took a a few smacks with a hammer to be removed, but it was pretty simple compared to other cars I've worked on.

I realize I have a drum brake as the parking brake, and of course when you dislodge the old rotors rust particles go everywhere. I used brake parts cleaner and blasted that whole area and wiped it down. New rotors went right on without a fight and I even made sure to align the little hole for the adjuster of the parking brake.

Brakes work great - except now I have this rubbing sound coming from the back. I'm *pretty* sure it's parking brake related because applying the regular brakes while rolling doesn't effect the sound I'm hearing.

As far as the parking brake itself goes - I use it daily since my driveway is a slight incline - it still works just like before. I think it's about 6 clicks of the pedal to engage it. It also releases like normal.

Does anyone have any info/tips/tricks of something I can check? I didn't get a chance to tear into it but I'd like to have SOME info before I have the car on a jackstand in the driveway again.

I searched several times on here and didn't find anything related to my issue - just people with stuck E-brakes, etc..

Thanks in advance....
Old 09-07-09, 10:30 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Pulled both sides apart today to see if I could tell what was rubbing - and no luck. I'm really at a loss what could be causing the rubbing noise..

The rotors came right off and went back on without any issues. It can't be the e-brake shoes because they retract in quite a bit. I thought maybe it could be the lip of the backing plate that the shoes and springs mount to so I tapped the edge in with a hammer - not sure if it really moved but a lot of rust particles were freed up.. cleaned it all with brake parts cleaner again.

Put it all back and the sound is still there, if not slightly worse. I'm thinking whatever is rubbing will wear down eventually and then I won't hear it.

All I can think of is that the rotors I purchased (Wagner) are ever so slightly different that they come in contact somewhere. I should note that while these rotors have the hole for the inspection plug, they do not have holes to thread the two phillips screws into the hub.
Old 09-07-09, 10:56 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

maybe its the shield?
Old 09-07-09, 11:45 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

I did take a look at the shield - which sits the furthest towards the car. It looked ok to me. I know when I did the brakes on Friday and when I took them apart again today, I really didn't come in contact with it at all - but the sound it's making could definitely be it. Sure wish I had access to a nice lift. Unfortunately with the car jacked up, I can't spin the wheel to try and narrow down the cause.

I really couldn't find a good spot for a jack stand, otherwise I could put the entire rear end on stands, put the car in neutral and take a good look.
Old 09-07-09, 11:50 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

u can jack up the car on the rear by placing the jack on the frame behind the diff.
Old 09-09-09, 10:33 AM
Gtask8
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe you hit a cat?!?!

Ok Jk jk