RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

30,000 mile service

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 08:20 AM
chatanp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 30,000 mile service

I'd like to get the thoughts of other RX350 owners on the 30,000 mile service.

I just purchased a 2007 RX350, which had about 36,000 miles on it. According to the service records, the previous owner did not perform the "official" 30,000 mile service on the vehicle.

The maintenance guide I pulled down from the Lexus Drivers website indicates that the ONLY items to be replaced are...

1. Engine oil and filter
2. Engine air filter
3. Air conditioning filter
4. Rotate tires
5. Replace brake fluid

The Lexus dealers in my area both seem to indicate that the Transmission fluid also needs to be done. Is it normal for the dealer to go against what the maintenance guide says?

The funny part is that the maintenace guide from the Lexus Drivers website, never explicitly says to replace the transmission fluid, not even at 60K or 90K miles.
Attached Files

Last edited by chatanp; 08-17-09 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-17-09, 08:24 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual says to only replace the tranny fluid every 50,000 miles if you drive in severe weather. The 2007+ models use WS (World Standard) full synthetic fluid, so there is no reason to replace the tranny fluid unless you just want peace of mind. Also, a Toyota dealer can most likely do this using the exact same fluid and filter as Lexus can at a substantially cheaper price.

Edit: You can replace the air conditioner filter faster than you can tell the service department to do it. It is located behind the glove box door and is very simple to do.
Old 08-17-09, 08:37 AM
chatanp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Adamjeeps
Edit: You can replace the air conditioner filter faster than you can tell the service department to do it. It is located behind the glove box door and is very simple to do.
Yep, I took care of that last night. I was dissappointed in that I was not able to replace the engine air filter. Looks like this will need to remain a dealer/auto shop piece of maintenance.
Old 08-17-09, 08:49 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

The air filter replacement is not as bad. Just need patience. Otherwise, the dealer will be glad to do it for you, but will cost much.
Old 08-17-09, 10:07 AM
Scottydog
Driver

The transmission service is normally at 60k, only with heavy duty service or frequent towing. Given the number of premature transmission failures reported perhaps 30k tranny changes are a good idea. Any good transmission shop can do it cheaper than your Lexus dealer.
Old 08-17-09, 11:05 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Scottydog
The transmission service is normally at 60k, only with heavy duty service or frequent towing. Given the number of premature transmission failures reported perhaps 30k tranny changes are a good idea. Any good transmission shop can do it cheaper than your Lexus dealer.
Yes, you are correct, I meant to say 60,000 miles instead of 50,000.
Old 08-17-09, 11:22 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

I do my tranny drain and fill every 15~17K (3 oil changes) miles. Keeps the tranny fluid fresh and ready for action!
Old 08-17-09, 02:08 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Since you don't know the history of this Lexus you might want to change the transmission fluid this once. It is possible the previous owner changed it and did not use WS fluid. Just make sure that World Standard Fluid is used by the dealer or whatever shop you choose. No further transmission fluid changes are necessary for the life of the car; unless you are paranoid or don't believe what the Lexus Owner's Manual says.
Old 08-26-09, 08:33 PM
dariusf
Driver School Candidate

Yes the air filter replacement is a pain, how could they design it this way? I always threw a few curses when doing it

As for the trans, we have ~40k miles on my wife's 2003 RX330 and I was thinking about doing it. I guess World Standard Fluid should be used in that model as well?
Old 08-27-09, 05:47 AM
visual
Rookie

It took me 5 min to change the air filter. Unscrew two screws. slide the top of the air filter box to the right and lift up. Remove the old filter with new one and done.
Old 08-27-09, 07:26 AM
Adamjeeps
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dariusf
As for the trans, we have ~40k miles on my wife's 2003 RX330 and I was thinking about doing it. I guess World Standard Fluid should be used in that model as well?
I believe WS fluid began being used in the 2007 RX 350. Before that was type IV synthetic fluid. I don't know if you could do any damage by using WS though.
Old 08-27-09, 12:18 PM
Rainbird

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Adamjeeps is correct, World Standard Fluid should only be used in 2007 RX350 and newer models.
Old 09-17-09, 12:10 PM
mws4ua
Driver School Candidate

I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one...

I can do the oil, oil filter and air filter changes, but is there a DIY for the brake fluid change, or is that something best left up to the dealership? (I plan to use a Toyota dealership, if necessary... is there a different kind of brake fluid they should use, or will they do it right without special instructions?)

Last edited by mws4ua; 09-17-09 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 12:55 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mws4ua
I thought I'd revive this thread rather than start a new one...

I can do the oil, oil filter and air filter changes, but is there a DIY for the brake fluid change, or is that something best left up to the dealership? (I plan to use a Toyota dealership, if necessary... is there a different kind of brake fluid they should use, or will they do it right without special instructions?)

Well, this will probably generate a laugh, but I use a turkey baster (with a straw attached on the end) to remove the old fluid and then I replace the fluid with Toyota approved fluid. It is nothing like the fluid exchange that is offered by the dealership/independents, but I do this every 30K and it works for me. YMMV.
Old 09-17-09, 01:11 PM
Scottydog
Driver

Originally Posted by cdnewton
Well, this will probably generate a laugh, but I use a turkey baster (with a straw attached on the end) to remove the old fluid and then I replace the fluid with Toyota approved fluid. It is nothing like the fluid exchange that is offered by the dealership/independents, but I do this every 30K and it works for me. YMMV.
Brake fluid should be flushed through each line, not just empty and refill the tank. The clean fluid cannot get down 20 feet of brake line, where all the gunk is. If you've ever done done a brake flush you will see the cloudy junky fluid come out, and realize why it's done. Brake fluid picks up moisture, and degrades over time, especially when overheated.

For the average amateur mechanic it's not a huge deal. You have to take each wheel off, open the valve at the slave cylinder while someone pushes on the brake pedal, being careful not to let air into the system. I assume the order is RR-LR-RF-LF?

Last edited by Scottydog; 09-17-09 at 01:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile service