GS - 1st Gen (1993-1997) Discussion about the first generation GS300

Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!

Old 01-01-03, 09:56 AM
marcus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!

I finally received a generic repair kit for bad hood supports. This kit is attached to the existing bad strut. When you open the hood all the way, a spring-loaded rigid plastic arm swings into position and supports the bottom of the old strut. (see pic)

It took 15 minutes to install, and yes it is a perfect fit for 1st Gen GS. It has 3 different sized clamps and the largest one is the right size for our cars. The instructions tell you to disconnect the strut at the lower connection so you can slide the bracket over the end and onto the chrome shaft. The kit assumes your bottom connection is flat. It is not. Therefore save yourself the time and just place a little oil on the chrome shaft and force-snap the new plastic clamp on.Then you also get a little saw and mitre box to cut the rigid plastic brace to the correct length.

It works perfectly!!!! I bought it thru mail-order to J.C.Whitney in Indiana. It cost $8 plus shipping. It is called "Pylon Lift Lock" It is part number 8200. It claims you only need 1 kit even if both front struts are shot.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION. As the pic shows, I mounted this kit so the support brace faces the back of the car. If you mount it so it faces the front of the car, your hood will not close all the way

No More Ghetto brooms or wood stakes to hold up the hood!
Attached Thumbnails Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!-fixer1.jpg  
Old 01-01-03, 10:01 AM
marcus
Driver

Default One more pic

This is what the package looks like. (also.. no extra charge... a shot of the washing machine. )

You might be able to purchase this directly from the manufacturer.

The name of the company is "Pylon Manufacturing Corp" out of Deerfield Beach, Florida.

Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!-fixer2.jpg  
Old 01-01-03, 01:30 PM
Sovero1
Pole Position

What do you do when you need to close the hood with those things attached? Just lower/drop it like usual?

Thanks

Ed

Last edited by Sovero1; 01-01-03 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-01-03, 04:08 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

marcus long time no see, great write up, but i have the same question. how do you close the hood. will you have to walk to the side and pull the clamp back?
Old 01-01-03, 11:02 PM
marcus
Driver

All you need to do is go to the side of the car, grab the hood and raise it slightly,then move the end of the plastic support away from the bad strut and gently lower the hood. There is no automatic hood release.... I am sure you all agree this small effort sure beats hauling out and then removing a wood stake.
Old 01-02-03, 12:01 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

sure beats my broom stick.
Old 01-02-03, 07:26 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how much are new hood shocks from the dealer?
Old 01-02-03, 07:34 AM
marcus
Driver

You don't really want to know...... new hood supports are $67.00 each, expensive, but I'm sure the Lexus dealership will throw in a free smile as you leave with the new support ! Sorry to have such an attitude, but the Lexus dealership in Grand Rapids,Michigan leaves much to be desired in customer service.
Old 01-06-03, 01:55 PM
Pianoman72
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did anyone try this idea? I was going to try this in the trunk because apparently it lifts it on its own or something, I think all you need to do is find this part and drill a small hole. I might go and try this sometime.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=40752

Another question, though. What if someone forgets to move the arm and tries to close the hood? Would a bent hood result? I've seen that happen before on cars where the support is along the side instead of up front.
Old 01-07-03, 11:06 AM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

The check is in the mail...its too bad we couldn't get a group buy on these things. I need 4. 2 for the hood and 2 for the trunk.
Old 01-07-03, 06:33 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

i don't think it would work for the trunk. even if it did, everytime you want to lower the trunk you would have to reach way back there and fold down the trunk lining because the struts are hidden.
Old 01-10-03, 02:12 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

Hey John... I was talking about the shocks. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a little rusty with trying to get my points across.
Old 01-10-03, 02:14 PM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Rico's Revenge
Hey John... I was talking about the shocks. Sorry for the confusion. I'm a little rusty with trying to get my points across.
shock, the trunk shocks that hold the trunk up right?? if thats what your referring to on the first gen gs they are wwaaaayyy in the back. and from the picture that marcus posted on how to close the hood. you would need to reach back there everytime to close the trunk with these installed.

Last edited by Jmai22; 01-10-03 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-10-03, 02:17 PM
Rico's Revenge
Lead Lap

No I meant a group buy on the shocks themselves, not the clips. I want to replace all four of them. Two in the front and two in back.
Old 01-10-03, 05:55 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i need 4 too, we should try to do the group buy. maybe post something in the vendors forsale section and see if any of them would do a group buy?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally, A cheap fix for bad hood struts!