RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) DIY install upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 09:23 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) DIY install upgrade

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 RX330 with Ultra Premium package and I was surprised to find out that I do not have Adaptive Front Lighting System.

I would like to upgrade my headlights to AFS. I don't care about the AFS on/off switch since I'm planing to have it on full time.

How do I do this? Is this just a straight headlight swap?

I check with the Lexus parts department and it seems like the balst and the light computer is all build into the headlight unit with the swiveling motor. Does this mean I just swap my headlights with a AFS headlight or do I need to turn on some options in my car computer?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-02-09, 09:51 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't even think this is possible

Yes you can get the hid headlights for $1300 with AFS servo built in but it won't work without programming of some sort onto the ECU
Old 08-02-09, 11:33 PM
hchc
Driver School Candidate

I''m also looking to do the same upgrade.
At the very least I think the headlight need to communicate with the ecu about the steering angle e.g. so there should be some extra wiring or maybe thats already built-in for 2004 rx?
Old 08-03-09, 07:42 AM
kiwi
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it would be easier to sell yours and buy one with the options you want. its more than just a new headlight, you got wiring harnesses to deal with as well as tapping into the output from the steering wheel,
Old 08-03-09, 07:57 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm not sure why you would want to go through all the trouble and expense. IMO, it's more of a cool thing to have rather than a necessity. My '04 RX came with AFS (Performance Package). But I don't find it extremely useful. The cost of the headlights alone is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you can replace the bulbs instead (cheap) or as kiwi recommended, buy an RX with AFS (not so cheap).
Old 08-03-09, 07:49 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have an RX350 w/AFS and GS350 without AFS. It make almost no difference when you drive at over 30MPH. I mean they swivel, but I don't even notice it. The thing that I do miss on the GS, though, is the rain-sensing wipers, which always go together as a package with the AFS. I have them on the RX and they are nice.
Old 08-03-09, 08:03 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just sell the vehicle and get one with the options you want. The headlamps cost $1500 EACH and then you would need new or spliced custom wiring harness and an ECU re-program (if possible) or a new ECU, which would require a new security system and then the list keeps running. It's way, way cheaper to sell and buy again. Any headlamp upgrade beyond a basic cheap HID kit is money you will never see again upon resale. People expect that this class of vehicle has factory HID and that should have been number one of your list when ordering/purchasing the vehicle to begin with.
Old 08-04-09, 12:37 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Miniz, the headlamp with AFS costs $525.91 each from lexuspartsonline.com so the total plus tax and shipping you are loooking at $1250 which is close to what I said before, around $1300 but honestly for that kind of money, I rather get a retrofit done with way more visibility if done right.
Attached Thumbnails Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) DIY install upgrade-afs.jpg  

Last edited by mowmow; 08-05-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-06-09, 03:49 PM
Grumpa72
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arnieosp
I have an RX350 w/AFS and GS350 without AFS. It make almost no difference when you drive at over 30MPH. I mean they swivel, but I don't even notice it. The thing that I do miss on the GS, though, is the rain-sensing wipers, which always go together as a package with the AFS. I have them on the RX and they are nice.
I couldn't disagree more with your comments on the AFS. My wife's 05 RX has them and my 07 BMW doesn't. When l leave my daughter's house and drive a windy road to get to the interstate, I really notice the ability of the headlights to pivot and "peek" around the corners. Although the road is much more fun in the BMW, the extra sight time is critical and readily noticed, especially during deer hunting season. I was actually thinking of doing this retrofit on my BMW, very similar to what the OP was thinking.
Old 08-07-09, 12:34 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Grumpa72, what kind of retrofit do you have in mind for your BMW ? 2 projectors, quad projectors ? what kind of projectors and shrouds ? Are you going to do it yourself ? Or through someone you know ?

I'm getting my friend Littodevil to work on mine, S2000 projectors instead of the stock projectors ( which are crappy ) and will try to convert it into a bixeon setup if possible. For DRL, I'm using multiple high power leds that also be use as highbeam.
Old 08-31-09, 04:18 PM
HimSelf
Rookie

Got a phone call back from the dealer and here is the brake down in cost to get AFS

Headlights: $1,300 each (on ebay they go for $100 each)
Ballast/computer/bulb
Computer to go under the steering column
Harnest / wiring
reprograming

In total: $10,000 including labour and the dealer will not do it because they don't know how to reprogram the computer.

At the start I thought I can just buy a used pair of headlights with AFS off ebay for $400 and pop it in but it seems like much harder.

Move on to my next project on the list......lights (angle eyes and LED)
Old 09-01-09, 09:43 PM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HimSelf
Got a phone call back from the dealer and here is the brake down in cost to get AFS

Headlights: $1,300 each (on ebay they go for $100 each)
Ballast/computer/bulb
Computer to go under the steering column
Harnest / wiring
reprograming

In total: $10,000 including labour and the dealer will not do it because they don't know how to reprogram the computer.

At the start I thought I can just buy a used pair of headlights with AFS off ebay for $400 and pop it in but it seems like much harder.

Move on to my next project on the list......lights (angle eyes and LED)
WOW!!!!!! for 10k I can hook you up with 6 or maybe 8 bixeons system retrofit setup with halos and high power leds for DRL
Old 09-05-09, 08:24 PM
RsSharKy
Rookie

i have a silly question to ask.....
my RX has AFS
if i installed headlight housing only w/ auto leveling
will that work or is it going to cause computer error??

btw, mowmow - is it difficult to take our head light housing apart?? i want some of those demon eye / angel eye / halo also.....
Old 09-06-09, 05:39 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I do not find the steerable headlights to be all that much help, but I am driving in the suburbs. I might say differently if I were driving in the boonies and wanted to see some deer in the road at night.

Based on the fact that the steerable headlights do not do all that much more for you, I would think that you could achieve the exact same, or better, illumination by just adding a pair of "fog lamps" with a flood beam, or just replace the bulbs in your existing flog lamps (if your car has them) with a stronger wattage (and maybe a little re-aiming).
Old 09-07-09, 09:38 AM
mowmow
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RsSharKy
i have a silly question to ask.....
my RX has AFS
if i installed headlight housing only w/ auto leveling
will that work or is it going to cause computer error??

btw, mowmow - is it difficult to take our head light housing apart?? i want some of those demon eye / angel eye / halo also.....
It's should be doable in a low temp oven setting and bake it open. ( Don't use your wife's or mom's oven unless you want to be in the dog house for a long long time, trust me I know ) I can call my retrofitter and ask him to confirm

Quick Reply: Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS) DIY install upgrade