LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What happens if the Camshaft Position Sensor goes bad?

Old 06-18-09, 10:43 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What happens if the Camshaft Position Sensor goes bad?

The cable to the right camshaft position sensor have been damage after being in contact with the belt that powers the power steering and so on. I tried to join it together again but it still got a check engine light and the code is DTC 13. See explanation below;
Name:  DTC13.gif
Views: 11331
Size:  13.0 KB

Must of the time the car runs fine. But sometimes it jerks like hell when the load on the engine increases, like when you tries to overtake someone. Is this because one or both of the camshaft position sensor giving a wrong signal to the ECM? Could I temporally just cut the damage cable to make sure that senor give no value at all to the ECM. Or will this make the car runs even poorly? Or could the problem be something else like a bad ignition coil?

A fast response would be very appreciated because I'm going to do a quite long road trip tomorrow. Was actually going to day but turned back home again when the jerks started.
Thanks!
/Joel
Old 06-18-09, 11:11 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

does it feel like its misfiring?? i have the engine code no 13, rpm signal 2. i have checked the crankshaft pos sensor and thats fine so i still have to check the camshaft one.
Old 06-18-09, 11:17 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Check the resistance on the sensor. On my GS430, when I replaced the timing belt, the camshaft sensor wire got sandwiched between the belt and cam pulley, and tore in two places - one of them was right where the wire joins the sensor, right on the tip. Soldered everything back together, works fine.
Old 06-18-09, 11:19 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

interesting Och...
Old 06-18-09, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, I'm not sure what the resistance specs are, but if the wire is ripped, there will be no resistance. Pretty easy to access and check that one.
Old 06-18-09, 11:25 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

well u have to remove the cam gear covers right.
Old 06-18-09, 11:28 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
does it feel like its misfiring?? i have the engine code no 13, rpm signal 2. i have checked the crankshaft pos sensor and thats fine so i still have to check the camshaft one.
Yes it do feel like its misfiring. But it's hard to tell.

Would check the resistance on them if was skilled enough so I actually could access the socket. But before the wire was damage I randomly got a code 13. So I guess it was going bad even before the wire was damaged. Hopefully the one with the damaged wire because I'm going to get that one change out.
Old 06-18-09, 11:29 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

does it do this when its missing? http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=MOV00853.flv

listen to it idle.
Old 06-18-09, 11:34 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Default Testing procedure camshaft position sensor

See attached pdf
Attached Files
Old 06-18-09, 11:42 AM
JAndersson
Driver

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
does it do this when its missing? http://s254.photobucket.com/albums/h...t=MOV00853.flv

listen to it idle.
Hard to tell because for me it's happens when the engine is under heavy load. But the needle in the rev counter moves up and down a lot when the engine "jerks". (Hope that sentence made sense.) I would guess it's a ignition problem but it could be fuel related to (lean misfire). But I'm just guessing here.
Old 06-22-09, 10:24 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LiCelsior,
That is a crazy sounding idle. I think think the tach gets it's signal from the CMP sensor Try to find a cheap replacement one, There's a few on eBay and I have 2 of them if you'd like, PM me if you'd like one.
Old 06-22-09, 10:36 AM
LiCelsior
Retired

hmm i still have to nspect that wire that runs from the connector to the sensor itself...im gonna do it tomorrow, i gotta stop being lazy lol.
Old 06-23-09, 01:28 AM
Ryeno
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hay guys i got code 13 as well. When i drive the car, if i let go of the gas the rpm drops back to 750-1000 as if i was in a manual instead of gradually declining. Would this be a symptom of a bad sensor?
Old 06-26-09, 08:03 PM
loperman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I have same the engine "jerks" situation on my 94 ls but it is happens every time i try to give it some! If I just go slow and don't press the pedal hard it is speed up and shifts with no problem! Also when i'm in "N" position I can press on gas as much as i want! engine rev up great! So it is only happens when I drive in it and trying to accelerate fast! I have "check engine" light on but my mechanic couldn't read the code, so i guess ECU is no longer working. It could be the reason or maybe part of the problem! I'm going to send my ecu this weekend to rebuild it! Will see if it will fix it!
Old 06-29-09, 09:04 AM
3UZFTE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well it never hurts to have the ECU rebuilt, because you know your working with a basically brand new unit, I have heard good things from these companies. I wouldn't ever think the ECU stopped working as it needs to work to run almost everything in your drivetrain, I'm just not sure if your mechanic knows how to read the codes, if you showed his the procedure from LexLS.com, I bet he could figure it out, even you can do it if you have about 2 inches of spare 14-16 gauge wire, even a paper clip works. Find out what the CEL is on for, then let us know, and it'll be a little easier to point your in the right direction.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What happens if the Camshaft Position Sensor goes bad?