RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

brakes make a clicking noise

Old 05-20-09, 08:39 PM
Pat55
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question brakes make a clicking noise

I hear a very loud click when hitting the brakes, doing a complete stop. I took it in and was told the brakes were ok, just to expect this noise because of the age of my 2001 RX300. Anyone else have this problem. It can't be ok, and I am worried that it really is something that is going to get worse and cost more to fix.
Old 05-20-09, 11:52 PM
rfakinbile
Rookie

Its not ok. Bring out your brake pad and check that the shims behind the bake pad and those that keeps the pad in position in the calliper is still there. The noise may be as a result of clearace. Thouse it won't have any serious effect on your braking but its good to fix.
Old 05-21-09, 04:55 PM
Francis
Pole Position

My brake made (wu wu wo wu woo) sound. I re-installed the brake pads and bed in properly and carefully. And the sound went away. It may not be your case but GL.
Old 05-21-09, 08:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Pat55:

Is it a metallic clicking noise (pads moving on slide pins) or is it a duller knocking noise (maybe sticking calipers)? The former is common on the RX300 and nothing to do with age. It can be alleviated temporarily by cleaning and lubing the slide pins. Interestingly, if you leave it alone, it will probably go away on its own as the slide pins get dirtier. The latter probably needs to be fixed or you will be wearing out your pads/rotors very quickly.

Last edited by sktn77a; 05-21-09 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 06:59 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Welcome to the Club.

Have you had someone observing outside the vehicle verify that is indeed where the clicking is coming from?
Old 06-21-09, 02:07 AM
afcab
Driver School Candidate

Default potential answer to clicking (from Lexus)

this is a technical service bulletin from lexus about the clicking noise. it looks like a pretty quick fix. I just (today) installed new akebono pads on the front and don't have any problems. Changing the pads was suprisingly easy and with the rotors resurfaced the brakes are in like new shape. If the pads are near the end of their life and the clicking is really that obnoxious then it might be good just to replace the old pads with the akebonos.

-Chris
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Lexus Brakes pdf from lexus.pdf (60.0 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by afcab; 06-21-09 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-21-09, 03:38 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat55
I hear a very loud click when hitting the brakes, doing a complete stop. I took it in and was told the brakes were ok, just to expect this noise because of the age of my 2001 RX300. Anyone else have this problem. It can't be ok, and I am worried that it really is something that is going to get worse and cost more to fix.
My 2003 model did the same thing. It would only do it if you changed direction as in from reverse to forward. Two different dealers assured me it was normal and nothing could be done. Had to do with floating something or another but it never affected the braking. I sold it just this past Friday to Carmax and my new RX 450h should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.
Old 06-24-09, 11:44 AM
lexina
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The clunking noise (reverse/forward) is not normal. I had to take it in a few times for the dealer to finally fix the problem before warranty went out. They kept telling me it was normal, and kept doing funny thing to it which worked a day or two. They finally took it apart and did it right. I showed them the same problem, step by step tsb how to fix it, from another auto maker. I can't believe the level of lexus customer service is doing this to customers. I wonder if they didn't know how to fix it, or really just want to ignore it, or think they would fix it when it is time for us to bring the car in for brakes service. They got to understand not only quality counts but customer service is as important. How would we trust them with other services if they kept saying it is normal while it is showing problems.

Any automakers, always deny it is a problem. No automaker can afford to admit it is a problem.

Originally Posted by Cruiter
My 2003 model did the same thing. It would only do it if you changed direction as in from reverse to forward. Two different dealers assured me it was normal and nothing could be done. Had to do with floating something or another but it never affected the braking. I sold it just this past Friday to Carmax and my new RX 450h should be here tomorrow or Tuesday.

Last edited by lexina; 06-24-09 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-24-09, 12:38 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Francis
My brake made (wu wu wo wu woo) sound. I re-installed the brake pads and bed in properly and carefully. And the sound went away. It may not be your case but GL.
"wu wu wo wu woo" Hey thats pretty good!! But don`t call me Shirley
Old 06-24-09, 01:37 PM
Cruiter

Default What is, 'IS'

Originally Posted by lexina
The clunking noise (reverse/forward) is not normal. I had to take it in a few times for the dealer to finally fix the problem before warranty went out. They kept telling me it was normal, and kept doing funny thing to it which worked a day or two. They finally took it apart and did it right. I showed them the same problem, step by step tsb how to fix it, from another auto maker. I can't believe the level of lexus customer service is doing this to customers. I wonder if they didn't know how to fix it, or really just want to ignore it, or think they would fix it when it is time for us to bring the car in for brakes service. They got to understand not only quality counts but customer service is as important. How would we trust them with other services if they kept saying it is normal while it is showing problems.

Any automakers, always deny it is a problem. No automaker can afford to admit it is a problem.
Not trying to start a confrontation here but if you have a late model RX300 (mine was an 03), the 'clicking sound' between forward and reverse use is for lack of a better expression 'built in' from birth with that model. More than one dealer including a Toyota dealer told me that and there is even a Lexus notice posted above re: it. Yes, they've found a work around to diminish it and you might have had that done but it's not permanent. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 06-25-09, 03:52 AM
artbuc
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Not trying to start a confrontation here but if you have a late model RX300 (mine was an 03), the 'clicking sound' between forward and reverse use is for lack of a better expression 'built in' from birth with that model. More than one dealer including a Toyota dealer told me that and there is even a Lexus notice posted above re: it. Yes, they've found a work around to diminish it and you might have had that done but it's not permanent. Just the nature of the beast.

My 95 LS400 did the same thing. One of the many reasons I got rid of it. My 99 Avalon & 99 RX300 also do it. It is a design issue. Does anyone know if Toyota has solved this problem, yet?
Old 06-25-09, 05:02 AM
Cruiter

Originally Posted by artbuc
My 95 LS400 did the same thing. One of the many reasons I got rid of it. My 99 Avalon & 99 RX300 also do it. It is a design issue. Does anyone know if Toyota has solved this problem, yet?
I heard it was gone in the 2nd gen RX. My new RX450h doesn't do it either. Totally quite. They evidently got away from teh floating calipers & pads.