RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

RX 350 best tire price

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-09, 09:29 AM
chuck youn
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 best tire price

it's time for new skates.
I've got 50,000+ on my Michies and need replacements
Where is the best place to get value for the buck.
And what is the best tire to buy for my 08 RX 350 which I adore.
I bought my wifes Yokahamas for her IS at discount tire. Got them good price May be thats the best place to purchase??????
Old 04-23-09, 10:19 AM
hesham1
Driver

everyone recommends the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza's. Im putting them on next week. Right now if you buy 4 bridgestones before May 2nd you get $100 mail in rebate.

Cheapest ive seen for the alenza's is $169 on tire rack each plus around $45 shipping

Discount tire has them for $189 each

Costco is probably somwhere in between the 2
Old 04-23-09, 10:33 AM
chuck youn
Driver School Candidate

Excellent response. After reading through many of the threads it looks like the Alenzas seem the best choice.
I love the soft and quiet ride of my current Mich MV's so I'm hoping I'll get equally as good with the Bridgestones.
Thanks for the heads up on the pricing at DST as well as the may rebate
Old 04-23-09, 10:48 AM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck youn
it's time for new skates.
I've got 50,000+ on my Michies and need replacements
Where is the best place to get value for the buck.
And what is the best tire to buy for my 08 RX 350 which I adore.
I bought my wifes Yokahamas for her IS at discount tire. Got them good price May be thats the best place to purchase??????
50,000+ miles from a set of Michelins and you are considering about brand??? That would seem like a no brainer to me. We have tried other tires on the RX models we have owned and like on all other cars came running back to Michelins.
Old 04-23-09, 10:59 AM
chuck youn
Driver School Candidate

You have a good point. I've gotten good HWY miles from my Mich and the ride is exceptional. I'm a little concerned trying anything else.
Old 04-23-09, 02:46 PM
iKon_RX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

try toyo open country h/t, i have those on my stock wheels and the quietness on highway, and grip is great
Old 04-24-09, 07:10 AM
jayvis
Driver School Candidate

The Alenza was originally designed for large suv use. You see them as OEM on Tahoes and Yukons. It's a decent tire for a little less money but is not as quiet or smooth as the Michelins. My opinion on tires has always been to never try to fix what isn't broken. If you are happy with the overall performance of your original tires, stick with them or risk disappointment.
Old 04-24-09, 09:19 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jayvis
The Alenza was originally designed for large suv use. You see them as OEM on Tahoes and Yukons. It's a decent tire for a little less money but is not as quiet or smooth as the Michelins. My opinion on tires has always been to never try to fix what isn't broken. If you are happy with the overall performance of your original tires, stick with them or risk disappointment.
The new 2010 RX are coming with OEM Bridgestone Alenza's.
The after market Alenza's for 04 to 09 RX come with 65000 mile tread warranty and have excellent grip and more tread depth of 12/32 compared to 9/32 for other brands. Michelin does not provide 65000 mile tread warranty

Last week my friend put them on his 07 RX350 to replace the crappy "Bad" Year tires with the Alenza's and was very happy with the quiet/smooth ride. Less roll while making the turns and feels confident while driving compared to the "Bad" Year's. Bought them at discount tire for $170 + $13 installation for each tire after a $25 coupon and a $100 rebate, came to $632 installed.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DTCpn.pdf (87.7 KB, 982 views)

Last edited by sama; 04-24-09 at 09:22 AM.
Old 04-24-09, 10:58 AM
hesham1
Driver

$170 is an excellent price, i just called discount tire here (middle georgia) and they are $189 each so it will cost around $80 more than what you paid
Old 04-26-09, 06:17 AM
Who_Me
Rookie

Originally Posted by sama
The new 2010 RX are coming with OEM Bridgestone Alenza's.
The after market Alenza's for 04 to 09 RX come with 65000 mile tread warranty and have excellent grip and more tread depth of 12/32 compared to 9/32 for other brands. Michelin does not provide 65000 mile tread warranty

Last week my friend put them on his 07 RX350 to replace the crappy "Bad" Year tires with the Alenza's and was very happy with the quiet/smooth ride. Less roll while making the turns and feels confident while driving compared to the "Bad" Year's. Bought them at discount tire for $170 + $13 installation for each tire after a $25 coupon and a $100 rebate, came to $632 installed.
I think almost anything is better than the "Bad"Year tires on my 2007 RX. There is a reason the NASCAR guys are always complaining about "Bad"Year tires. I have had several sets of Michelins on other vehicles and have always liked their ride and durability. My last two sets on big luxury sedans had about 80,000 miles before they started to even show signs of wear. The "Bad"Years on my RX are showing major wear, after 22,000 miles. The wear is even, so it isn't a problem with alignment, balance, braking, etc...just sorry tires.

I am not going to scrimp when/if I replace my tires. I can't see paying nearly $50 grand for a car and putting me or my family at risk, trying to save $50 bucks on tires. I will research the various consumer magazines and web sites and try to get the best combo of value and safety. If I have to pay a few bucks more for a good tire, over a set of "Maypops," so be it. In all probability, I will just get rid of the car before that big 60K miles maintenance bill.
Old 04-26-09, 07:04 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I've driven RXs with Goodyear, Michelins and Alenzas. I believe the Alenzas is a much better tire from any standpoint. Handling, ride, cornering, quietness, snow, (yes we get a lot of snow and in WI) and treadwear. I currently have 15k mi on a set of Alenzas 235/55-18 and I absolutely love them.

The Goodyears wore out fast, were noisy and offered sloppy handling. The Michelins had soft sidewalls and cornered poorly. They became loud at around 20k miles and were also very bouncy. I hated both of these brands.

I see some new tires showing up in this size that are showing promise but I'm very pleased with my Alenzas so far and would definitely buy them again.
Old 04-27-09, 06:46 AM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Who_Me
I am not going to scrimp when/if I replace my tires. I can't see paying nearly $50 grand for a car and putting me or my family at risk, trying to save $50 bucks on tires. I will research the various consumer magazines and web sites and try to get the best combo of value and safety
I never asked you to save $50 it's your choice. I posted the coupon for forum members who may have some savings if they opt to buy this tire or any tire at discounttire. My friend bought them based on the positive experience of the forum menbers and also lot of positive reviews on tirerack.com which is a CL vendor. $50 saving was an icing on the cake the time he bought the bridgestone tires.

Bridgestone is no ordinary brand, it is being used safely on lot of big passenger planes everyday all over the world. They have been dominating the F1 racing in the past few years where tires are tested in extreme driving conditions upto speeds of 200 mph.
Attached Thumbnails RX 350 best tire price-tiremrktshare.png  
Old 05-11-09, 08:00 PM
Hayk
Lead Lap

Received 291 Likes on 230 Posts

Hey guys, our tires wore out on our RX350 (235/55/18) and I'm looking for a set of 4 that are best for NJ weather(occasional deep snow) that won't break the bank. The Goodyear RS-As are awful.

I searched around and found these 3. Need All-Seasons.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza - 173/ea(TireRack)
Goodyear Fortera TripleTred - 189/ea(TireRack)
Hankook Ventus AS RH07 - 142/ea(Discount Tire)

They all seem to have good ratings. And you guys are suggesting the Bridgestones so I'm kind of considering them now.

p.s.: Is there a good site to research tires? I heard TireRack is not a very reliable source and can be biased.
Old 05-11-09, 08:17 PM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBooby
Hey guys, our tires wore out on our RX350 (235/55/18) and I'm looking for a set of 4 that are best for NJ weather(occasional deep snow) that won't break the bank. The Goodyear RS-As are awful.

I searched around and found these 3. Need All-Seasons.

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza - 173/ea(TireRack)
Goodyear Fortera TripleTred - 189/ea(TireRack)
Hankook Ventus AS RH07 - 142/ea(Discount Tire)

They all seem to have good ratings. And you guys are suggesting the Bridgestones so I'm kind of considering them now.

p.s.: Is there a good site to research tires? I heard TireRack is not a very reliable source and can be biased.
I have the Bridgestone Alenzas and love them. They are way better than the GY OEMs. They are great in deep snow too.

I like the Tire Rack ratings. Typically you can find a few good and a few bad ratings for a given tire but when you look at the ratings over a large group of users they tend to be better than most any other rating service I've found.
Old 05-12-09, 05:28 PM
catdaddylo
Intermediate

Received 106 Likes on 72 Posts

I use Tire Rack. My local Firestone dealer told me he would match Tire Rack's price (this was after I bought some Bridgestones for my BMW). I had called and asked for his best price which was higher than Tire Rack so I bought from Tire Rack. Later the dealer said I should have told him the price of Tire Rack so he could meet or beat it duh. Anyway the story is, tell your local tire dealer what you can buy what ever tire you decide on and ask him to match or beat it. If he can't you know what to do.

Quick Reply: RX 350 best tire price