LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Auto Wiper Malfunctioning

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-09, 10:54 AM
garyr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Auto Wiper Malfunctioning

Is anyone else having problems with the rain sensor set on auto. On a perfectly sunny day the wipers go on. Usually happens after about 3 mins after start up and does it about 4 or 5 times intermittently. It seems to be getting worse.

I think my car is trying to tell me something, not sure sure what.

Anyone else experiencing this.
Old 04-02-09, 11:18 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is the sensor area clean? Sometimes it needs to be wiped down if it's getting false readings.
Old 04-02-09, 11:56 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 185 Likes on 144 Posts

probably dust or so around the sensor area.
Old 04-02-09, 12:08 PM
jmcraney

Received 257 Likes on 197 Posts

Gary,

I had a difficult time understanding the operation of the Auto windshield wiper. Perhaps it is just me, so if I am talking beneath your level please forgive me.

The control and operating instructions were very confusing for me initially. Here is what you need to know and this only applies to cars that are equipped with the rain sensor.

The windshield wipers have five modes:

Mist
Off
Auto
Lo
Hi

The "Mist" mode produces one, and only one, wipe cycle each time it is entered. You enter the mist mode by raising the wiper control stem away from the floor until it stops. When you let it go it returns to the "Off" mode.

The "Off" mode is, well, off. The wipers will not operate for any reason when the control is in this position. I always leave my wipers in this mode.

You enter the "Auto" mode by moving the stem one step down from the "Off" mode. The "Auto" mode uses inputs from the sensor that is forward of your windshield mounted rearview mirror to control the frequency and speed of your wipers based on current conditions. The sensitivity of this sensor is controlled by the ring on the wiper stem that says "Auto" on it. The sensitivity adjustment has four positions, moving toward the + makes the sensor more sensitive and moving toward the - decreases the sensitivity. You might be able to decrease the false operations of you wipers by decreasing the sensitivity. But it is almost impossible to design a system like this that will not respond to some false stimuli - there is bird stuff and tree sap and all manner of things to sort out. Again, I think it is best to not leave it in the "Auto" mode, but leave it in the "Off" mode. Wait until it starts to rain and then put it in "Auto" then the process of making good decisions is much easier. If you forget and leave it in the "Auto" then the first time it operates falsely just set it to off until the next time you need it.

You enter the "Lo" mode by moving the stem one step down from the "Auto" mode. The "Lo" mode is just slow speed continuous operation in the old conventional sense.

You enter the "Hi" mode by moving the stem one step down from the "Lo" mode. The "Hi" mode is just high speed continuous operation in the old conventional sense.

And then there is the washer that is initiated by pulling the stem toward the rear.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jmcraney; 04-02-09 at 12:12 PM.
Old 04-02-09, 01:01 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Thanks for all the input......Keeping my car clean is an understatement. When your neighbors think your nutz because your out side cleaning your car several times a week and more, you know you have a clean car.... or your obsessed . Nothing on the glass but perhaps to much "Inviable Glass" cleaner.

Jeff, Thanks for the operational feedback. I did'nt realize the delay lines were levels of sensitivity, I thought they were delays for the timed speed of the wiper motor. I've been playing with the mast many times to make sure I was not in the "on" position but automatic. This is exactly how my wind noise started, I keep opening and closing my drivers window while driving thinking it was not closed all the way. Now I'm driving around on a sunny day with my wipers on trying to adjust them

What gets me is I've always had it on auto and just now it's starting to act up. It started about 3 months ago only going off in sunlight once and a while. Now it's a couple of times a week in Sunny weather.

My 07 is still under factory warr but thats why I bought the Platinum Extended. This 1st model year car has provin to be what everyone says "don't by the first model year car" for me.

I'll log the info to the dealer the next service.
Old 04-02-09, 01:39 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I have mine set on the least sensitive setting (topmost) 90% of the time. Occasionally, if the rain is light and misty, the system may not respond quickly enough, so I drop it one or two settings. If the rainfall gets quite heavy, then manual may be the better choice. Snow is another matter, and it can get irrational there as well.

In the heat of summer, and ours is fairly brief in the NW, the system can act up when left on Auto, and wipe for no reason. That's when I shut it off altogether. I don't know why it does this (somewhat how you describe yours), but turning it off gets rid of that unpredictable behavior. I suspect the sensor, coupled with the logic or software behind it, forces the designer to apply default settings that may not work in all meteorological conditions.
Old 04-02-09, 06:24 PM
garyr
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Burnaby
I have mine set on the least sensitive setting (topmost) 90% of the time. Occasionally, if the rain is light and misty, the system may not respond quickly enough,
Yup, mine works the same, It actually does not come on fast enough when it's actually raining. My other cars had this option and it worked perfectly. Wifes GL 450 works flawlessly. Now I pay attention to this.