RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Cloth Seats?

Old 03-20-09, 01:12 PM
cz9h3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cloth Seats?

Can someone define the "mystery" cloth seats on the 2010 RX350? I thought these were always a phantom option, and basically you can't get a car without leather.

That's fine, but I'm confused by the builder on Lexus.com. If I don't select the premium package, the only interior choices continue to be leather. Do I need to realistically assume the Premium Pkg is going to be on any car out there (and the price)?
Old 03-20-09, 07:58 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cz9h3d
Can someone define the "mystery" cloth seats on the 2010 RX350? I thought these were always a phantom option, and basically you can't get a car without leather.

That's fine, but I'm confused by the builder on Lexus.com. If I don't select the premium package, the only interior choices continue to be leather. Do I need to realistically assume the Premium Pkg is going to be on any car out there (and the price)?
I'm not sure about 2010 but for the 2009 Model which I have, cloth seats were rare. The dealer personally didn't have any because no one buys cloth when buying luxury. I believe Leather seats come with the Premium package which is cheap at only around $1K and comes with a Moonroof.
Old 03-20-09, 09:22 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

It does seem to be that way... that almost all RX's will come with at least the Premium package installed.

But that begs the question - the premium package adds leather and a moon roof. So the basic RX would NOT HAVE A MOONROOF. How often do you see a brand new Lexus without a moonroof?
Old 03-21-09, 07:19 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I think it's a "standard" feature to make the rock bottom list price lower for advertising. At the factory, leather is installed on all or almost all of the cars, and the sticker is adjusted accordingly.
Old 03-21-09, 07:55 AM
cz9h3d
Driver School Candidate

Let me clarify......

The Lexus.com build-your-own site does not force the Premium Pkg onto the car, but then only gives leather interior color choices as an option. The Premium Pkg is $2,400, and includes leather, moonroof, memory, power liftgate USB input, autodimming mirror, and rear armrest.

I'm suggesting a base FWD RX @ $39,025 with "cloth" seats does not exist (well, they probably build a few to be legal). They are so rare that they don't even both including it in the build-your-own section of their website. Note: available packages are shown based on the zip code you input - probably tied to what's actually available in your area.
Old 03-21-09, 11:02 AM
Carachi
Driver School Candidate

I think you could be mis-interpreting what it says. The Premium package adds a "Leather-trimmed interior". It seems to me that you get leather seats even on the +$0 model. However the premium package makes the dash/door panels have leather on them instead of vinyl or something else I suspect.

Also from the website it only mentions 3 color combination's which implies they have a cheap leather (or vinyl??) a premium leather and a semi-aniline top quality leather:

"The RX interior is available in three color combination's: Light Gray with espresso bird's-eye maple, Black with brown walnut and a newly developed Parchment contrasted against brown walnut. Available leather trim is offered in premium leather and semi-aniline varieties. Click here to find your perfect color combination"

Again it keeps mentioning trim, but not available leather seats or anything of that nature. Although car manufacturers all play all sorts of games to convince you to get upgrades so who knows what the truth is.

Last edited by Carachi; 03-21-09 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-21-09, 02:22 PM
cz9h3d
Driver School Candidate

I don't mean to argue, but Lexus has used this strategy for many years on the RX. If you do a Google search on "2010 RX350 cloth" you'll find many reputable reviews (i.e. Motor Trend, Edmunds, etc) that reference the standard cloth seats. Even on Lexus.com on the build-your-own section, when you pull up the list of standard equipment, a leather-wrapped steering wheel and shifter are mentioned - but no seats! Trust me - there are some cloth seat RX's sitting in port storage somewhere to keep them withiin the law.

I'm hoping some actual salespeople can weigh in on this issue and just confirm my suspicions (or maybe I'll have to trudge to a store myself).
Old 03-21-09, 06:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

why are you bringing up the cloth seats? do you want cloth?
Old 03-21-09, 06:55 PM
meowmix52
Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
why are you bringing up the cloth seats? do you want cloth?
Actually, I personally like cloth seats, but not in a Lexus. Cloth seats do not warm up as quickly or cool down rapidly compared to leather. Cloth seats are cool in the summer, and warm in the winter, unlike Leather which is sometimes scalding hot in the sun and freeeeeeezing during cold days. However, my heated seats do compensate for this .

Anyways, the reason why people like Leather more is because it is easier to clean, smells better (mm mm good), and also feels more supple.
Old 03-22-09, 07:59 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I do not think you will be able to fine one with cloth seats here (in the USA) it will have to be made just for you and in four months or so you can have it.
Old 03-22-09, 09:37 AM
kalvano
Lead Lap

Cloth seats are standard.

I doubt there is a single one so equipped anywhere in the USA.

We have people now and then that want to order a no sunroof / cloth seat car and it's a $10,000 non-refundable deposit because NO ONE wants that in a Lexus.

At a minimum, the Premium Package is the "standard package".
Old 03-22-09, 10:00 AM
tfischer

That's pretty short sighted, since the car they are buying will be very, very hard to resell, while they will easily recover the extra money, about 2%, spent on the standard package, and they can open the roof and enjoy the sunshine in the meantime.
Old 03-22-09, 12:25 PM
RXSF

instead of making cloth seats, lexus should make some sort of faux leather like MB and BMW
Old 03-22-09, 12:47 PM
tfischer

Faux leather seats? What good would that do?
Besides, much of the leather in a Lexus car, such as on the doors, etc., is not leather anyway.
Old 03-22-09, 02:43 PM
RXSF

well i think faux leather is much better than cloth. at least it gives the illusion of luxury. people dont seem to mind MB-tex in a mercedes, but cloth in a mercedes? thats a no-no

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cloth Seats?