SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Spare tire kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-03, 05:32 AM
Davidtttt
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Spare tire kit

Has any one had a problem getting the tire for the spare tire kit? I have had the kit on order for six weeks. The dealer has all the hard ware but says that the tire is on back order from Japan with no projected delivery date. I am 39th of 175+ tries on order.

The real problem is that I have new set of Michelin Pilot Sports A/S and Speed Line wheels sitting at the dealer with for the spare. I am at the point of putting the new ties on, as I don’t use the car every day and hoping I don’t get a flat.

When I get the wheels mounted I will post some pictures.
Old 05-23-03, 09:42 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got my spare tire kit on May 1. The parts manager never indicated that he had a problem getting either the tire or the kit hardware.
Old 05-23-03, 11:34 AM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spare Kit

My dealer had them in stock. He gave me a 50% discount on all the parts and labor.....Pays to be nice to your dealer (also pays to have bought from him before!!).....You are REALLY going to enjoy those Michelins. It took me 22,500 miles to get smart and change. Now, with 2000 miles on them, its been like driving a whole new car.....handling, ride.....AND, the quirky little noises have stopped.....HAVE FUN!!!
Old 05-23-03, 12:33 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Thanks to Ben describing to me the deal he got on the spare tire kit, I asked my dealer to see what he could do for me. Even though I'm a first-time Lexus owner and my dealer is 150 miles away (can't easily drop by to say hello and bring pizza occasionally), they knocked $300 off the price.

In retrospect, in addition to asking the dealer for a break, I should have written to Lexus customer service to complain that I had to pay $400 for runflats which I did not want and now I have to pay to have a kit installed which would have been standard equipment on the car. Maybe they would have made an even better deal.

Michelins or not, probably any non-RF, e.g., my Goodyears, will offer a more comfortable ride. The difference in ride is the difference between thumpity-thumpity and KA-BAM!! KA-BAM!!.

Now if Larry and boyd can come up with similar onomatopoetic words that imitate the sound of their Injen, maybe I'll get one.
Old 05-23-03, 07:52 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh geez... maybe I should try to figure out a way to record it in a .WAV file and attach it here instead.. LOL
Old 05-28-03, 02:00 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Bengreen, sorry if you mentioned this in an earlier post, but what exactly did you end up paying?

My Lexus dealer doesn't have a problem with availability, but they're quoting me $616 for the parts and $220 for the tire... a total of $836 before the labor! As great as the service is, I'm getting really sick of being gouged by So. Florida Lexus dealers when it comes to service. (They wanted $350 just to change out the tires when I dumped the runflats, not including the actual cost of the tires.)
Old 05-28-03, 03:18 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

dseag ...

I had my new Goodyear tires mounted and balanced the same day i had the spare kit installed. Even though they took 3 hours(!) to dismount/mount/balance the tires, they charged me for only 2 hours ($90). I think this was because they had trouble with their recently-ourchased electronic mounting machine and didn't feel that I should be charged for their learning experience.

The kit ...
$659.12 - Spare kit parts (incl donut)
$128.58 - Labor
$787.70 - Total

$300.00 - Goodwill discount

$487.70 - My total cost

Do you have any other Lexus dealers nearby?
Old 05-29-03, 07:46 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks, Ed. I actually have a Lexus dealer right down the street, which is the one that wanted to charge me $350 to change the tires. The other dealer is JM Lexus (largest in the country), 30 miles away, that wants to charge me $836 + labor to install the spare kit.

You're lucky you have such a great relationship with your dealer. You would think that since this is my 4th Lexus I would get a break. I think the problem is that the So. Florida dealers move lots of cars and there is quite a bit of turnover at the dealerships. There seems to be no such thing as a valued customer.
Old 05-29-03, 10:41 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

dseag ...

Actually, I'm a first-time Lexus customer as well as a first-time customer with this dealer. I told the assistant parts manager about the great deal that Ben got on his spare kit, and wished that I could be treated similarly. He called back with the $300 discount. There are two other Lexus dealers who are 70 miles closer to me, but I think I'll be doing future business at this place.

As a four-Lexus customer, you should be treated much much better. Feel free to quote to them the price my dealer charged me - if you think it might make a difference.
Old 05-29-03, 03:26 PM
bengreen
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default dseag2....your question....

My Lexus dealer (Sewell) total charge was $1637. That included:
4 MIchelin tires (at $260 per......he bought them at Discount Tires and brought them to his 'shop'); spare tire, wheel, all conversion kit parts, all labor (also included scheduled maintenance
parts and labor...and beautiful 'detail' cleaning)...
Old 05-29-03, 05:16 PM
beachdrive
Rookie

I am at the same exact point. Pilot A/S are in, spare tire wheel and mount parts are in. Waiting on tire for spare. Told this week the tire will be in by end of next week.
Have waited about one mont so far
Old 12-13-05, 10:18 AM
Mary B
Driver School Candidate

Default Spare Tire Kit

I joined this forum inorder to get more info on the SC430 Spare Tire Conversion Kit for my husbands SC. Does anyone out there have any experience in the northern California area with this? He already dumped the runflats but now needs to do the conversion. Thanks!
Old 12-13-05, 10:37 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, what parts are really involved? From what I understand all it is :

New rear carpet lining-the $$ part
Spare tire which can be purchased from any Supra owner that fits perfect for less than $50.00
Hold down for spare tire which is what....$25.00?

Labor? it would take no more than 10 minutes to install it.

Lee
Old 12-13-05, 11:19 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I think I saw the carpet available for purchase for like $275 from L-Tuned parts.

Also I was wondering what the specs were for the spare tire so I could go pick one up from the junk yard can anyone chime in?
Old 12-13-05, 11:22 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Am I sensing a Group Buy here?

Carpet yes.
Tire , I would need the Supra TT tire to fit over my larger front brakes.

Lee

Quick Reply: Spare tire kit