RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Lights come on while driving

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-09, 05:22 PM
alsader
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lights come on while driving

Hello,

I bought a 2005 RX330 a couple months ago. It now has 48,500 miles. The following happened 3 times while driving:

The ABS, Brake, and VSC lights come on solid and the Low Tire Pressure light blinks. Things go back to normal after I turn the engine off and start it again.

Dealer wants to see it first before they do anything about it. Problem is that every time it happened the dealer was closed. I live about an hour away and I’m not even sure I want to drive for one hour while these lights are on.

Reading some postings it seems like this was a known issue with the 2004 models (brake light switch). Has anyone seen this problem with a 2005 model?

Thanks,
Old 01-01-09, 07:39 PM
steve_m
Driver School Candidate

my '06 RX330 has the identical problem. First time to the dealer, they could not get any codes. Later in the day, the lites came on again, they took a look and pointed at a bald spot on the front right tire, and said "that's your problem!". I put four fresh tires on it, and the lites still come on perhaps once per day. As the dealer that's been working the problem is 45 minutes away, I'll need to find a time to drive it in while the lites are on again. thanks for your info re recent postings, I'll look that up...
Old 01-02-09, 05:00 AM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alsader
Hello,

I bought a 2005 RX330 a couple months ago. It now has 48,500 miles. The following happened 3 times while driving:

The ABS, Brake, and VSC lights come on solid and the Low Tire Pressure light blinks. Things go back to normal after I turn the engine off and start it again.

Dealer wants to see it first before they do anything about it. Problem is that every time it happened the dealer was closed. I live about an hour away and I’m not even sure I want to drive for one hour while these lights are on.

Reading some postings it seems like this was a known issue with the 2004 models (brake light switch). Has anyone seen this problem with a 2005 model?

Thanks,
I think it might have something to do with traction control. Because when I got mine stuck in a snow bank the same thing happened as the back wheel kept spinning. One the tow got it off the mound and I drove it for a while it went away. Have you tried resetting your tire pressure?

I'm guessing something is causing the unit to trip and its over heating which why I believe the unit malfunction with the indicator lights and hence it sporadic.
Old 01-10-09, 08:44 AM
alsader
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

Hi,

I took the care to the dealer today (8 days after the last time the lights showed up). They found a code in the computer. It was switch code C1249 which was the brake light switch. Same problem as it was in the 2004 model. The dealer replaced the switch and hopefully I won't see these lights again.
Old 02-04-09, 02:17 PM
clague
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by alsader
Hi,

I took the care to the dealer today (8 days after the last time the lights showed up). They found a code in the computer. It was switch code C1249 which was the brake light switch. Same problem as it was in the 2004 model. The dealer replaced the switch and hopefully I won't see these lights again.
I had the same symptoms and the same diagnostic result from the ECU... code C1249 on my '06 RX330. The dealer replaced the stop switch assembly today under warranty, and no sign of the lights again as of yet.
Old 11-30-10, 06:26 PM
Tajai7
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For a couple weeks, my Check VSC, the Alert/Warning light (Red Triangle with Exclamation Point), ABS, and Brakes warning lights all would come on when starting my car up intermittently. If I turned my car immediately off and restarted, no lights would come on. Now these lights come on every time at start up.

I had the trouble codes scanned for my '06 IS250 AWD and it spit back two code: C1249 and C1223. C1249 is an open circuit in the stop light switch and C1223 is a ABS control fault error.

After reading several threads I had my buddy install a new stop light switch and reset the computer and no lights have come back on. I've started multiple times and have drove about 50 miles now and the lights have no returned! So if you get a c1249 and c1223 trouble code error on your Lexus, this is probably the solution. The only rip off is that I had to get the part from Lexus because I didn't want to wait to have it shipped from partsgeek.com (http://tinyurl.com/34len8a) and the $40 part became $83 through Lexus. I'm sure they probably would have charged $50 to diagnosis the issue and another $150 for labor...I'm pretty sure I came out way ahead in this situation. Hope this helps some you out there!

(search tags: Lexus Trouble Codes Errors C1249 C1223 Stop Light Switch Open Stop Light Circuit)
Old 12-30-10, 08:14 PM
Montimar1
Driver School Candidate

Had the same problem on my 330/06 took to dealer today and they replaced Brake Lamp Switch
P/N 84340-47020 $75.00 Labor $68.00. Gave me a 2010 350 loaner, what a ride and difference. Wish it was a Christmas present!!!!!!!

Last edited by Montimar1; 12-30-10 at 08:15 PM. Reason: wanted tto add "today"
Old 04-10-11, 11:25 PM
hyiu
Driver School Candidate

I have a 06 RX 330, and also have the same problem once in a while:
The VSC, brake, tire pressure and ABS will light up when driving.

traced back to the code C1249 also.

the guys checked the brake lights, saying sometimes if you have burned out bulbs, you might have the same pblm. Once that is checked out fine, he looked into the switch.

he did checked and said the part is 84340-35030.

There are other parts mentioned before, and he said its for other models, but he said at times, they are interchangeable.

Attached is a pic of my old part... its near the brake pedal.
Attached Thumbnails Lights come on while driving-switch.jpg  

Last edited by hyiu; 04-11-11 at 12:32 PM.
Old 04-15-11, 06:28 AM
Pete60
Driver School Candidate

Default Pete60

HeyU,

Thanks for the info, part # and Picture. This may be just what I need!

I want the 3 icon lights (check E, VSC and Traction) to go off and stay off

Pete
Old 09-19-11, 06:31 AM
srx
Driver School Candidate

Hi. I have just removed the brake switch, opened it, cleaned the contacts inside (very simple switch) and installed it back. It's doable and not complicated, but one has to take an uncomfortable position to remove it. Installing back it's a bit easier. It may also take time, because every move you do to remove the switch is slow (lack of space). I followed this steps:
1.removed the spring to get access to the sensor.
2.using a 14 mm wrench loosened the nut a bit and then removed the switch by rotating it (you need to remember the position of the nut).
3.unplugged the cable as soon as I could get access to it. You do not want to damage any contacts by rotating the switch too much with the cable plugged in it.
4.Opened the sensor by unbending the 4 aluminum contact connecting the plastic part with the metal part of the switch. Inside I found a sort of oxide on the contacts. Apparently the switch remained on (because of the oxide) when it was supposed to be off.
5.Reinstalled the switch.
Old 04-04-16, 09:07 PM
RoWu
Driver School Candidate

Default RX330 brakes by itself in freeway!

It all started with this same problem:
"The ABS, Brake, and VSC lights come on solid and the Low Tire Pressure light blinks. Things go back to normal after I turn the engine off and start it again."

Went to a mechanic and they fixed the brake light switch. Right after that was done, I took the car on the freeway and the steering wheel started shaking pretty badly when going faster than 60mph. The strongest shaking appeared when braking.
Went to a mechanic again: They fixed the front brake rotors.

Vibration during braking was gone, but not during high speed driving.
They told me the lower control arm bushings are worn but before spending a bunch of money on that I should rebalance the tires.

Rebalanced, and the car seemed fine, other than one thing:
When driving 65/70mph and faster, sometimes when I step on the brake (just VERY slightly), the brake pedal is hardly pushed down but feels really stiff and the car brakes really hard and KEEPS BRAKING by itself after that. The brake pedal doesn't feel like it usually does. Even when I try to push the pedal down really hard, it barely moves. At the same time the car brakes way too hard and keeps slowing down after I'm long gone from the brake pedal. If I push the gas, the car won't accelerate at all, but keep braking by itself! I can barely keep it at around 50mph when pushing down the gas pedal a lot.
Once I get the car to a stop, it's all back to normal again.
One time this happened and I had enough of it, so I pushed the gas pedal down all the way. The car seemed to accelerate, while it was still slowing itself down at the same time... And it started feeling unstable and shaky.

I took it the a mechanic 3 times but whenever they drive the car apparently this is not happening. The can't find anything out of the ordinary. This doesn't happen all the time on high speeds, but pretty often.
Any ideas??

BTW: all these problems (the shaking and car braking by itself) started after I got the brake switch light fixed...

Old 04-04-16, 11:49 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you need to find a better mechanic.