SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Dome/Map light replacement bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-08, 12:22 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy Dome/Map light replacement bulbs

Both of my dome or map lights went out within a couple of weeks. I looked at the forum and was directed to Sylvania which said my 2002 SC430 used a DE 3175. I bought a few and went to install them. They are festoon and mine are regular bulbs. It says Toshiba A12V8W-D. I have searched the web and can't find such a bulb. Anyone with similar problems any recommendadtions?

Also, can a normal person replace the side marker and fog bulbs

Thanks!
Old 12-20-08, 09:49 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Might want to consider LED replacements

Originally Posted by JohnMD
Both of my dome or map lights went out within a couple of weeks. I looked at the forum and was directed to Sylvania which said my 2002 SC430 used a DE 3175. I bought a few and went to install them. They are festoon and mine are regular bulbs. It says Toshiba A12V8W-D. I have searched the web and can't find such a bulb. Anyone with similar problems any recommendadtions?

Thanks!

I needed dome lights for my '02 ES300, bayonet style bulbes. I decided to try LED replacements. was able to match some up at TunerDomes.com:

http://www.tunerdomes.com/?gclid=CJL...FQNvHgodHkCUDA
Old 12-20-08, 12:27 PM
JohnMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Filiment Bulbs

The dome bulbs in my 2002 SC430 are round filiment bulbs like a flash light bulb. They kind of screw in at one end. The bulbs Sylvania says fits are the festoon ones that click in at two ends. And I can't find the ones I need on line. Any help out there? Does everyone else have the festoon type?
Old 12-20-08, 05:24 PM
ja928
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks!
A normal person can replace the side marker. remove radiator grille 3 bolts...remove front fender liner LH remove 5 screws and partially remove the front fender liner....remove front fender liner....remove front bumper cover remove the 6 screws and clips
Old 12-20-08, 07:13 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

The dome bulbs in my 2002 SC430 are round filiment bulbs like a flash light bulb. They kind of screw in at one end. The bulbs Sylvania says fits are the festoon ones that click in at two ends. And I can't find the ones I need on line. Any help out there? Does everyone else have the festoon type?
BA9S or 1895

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sea...archid=2604770
Old 01-13-09, 05:06 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I am going to retro fit my map lights to take a festoon style 6 led super white 31 mm led assembled on a board that fits inside the festoon holder. My plan is to remove the map light lens then take out a screw on either side. Gently pry out the entire map light assemble. there is a connector that i will disconect that will allow me to remove the map assemble to take to my work bench. Once I have it in hand I am going to remove the the oem style bulb as well as its holder. I will then try and fit the festoon style holder keeping in mind that I will need room once installed to snap the lens in place I will use the original wires from the oem style bulbs . There is the nav microphone inside and on top of the map light. I will have to make sure I dont disturb the microphone. I have allready bought fastoon style bulbs that are retrofitted with 6 super white led lights that point directly down. If it works out as I anticipate I will have a significant increase in real usaable light when you want it , I also know that the led will also dim as the original oem bulbs would dim when you would set the alarm. If any one else has tryed to do what I am about to do any pointers would be appreciated. The led's use very little electricty and more importantly generate no heat.

Buddy
Old 01-13-09, 05:45 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Why not just get the led board instead?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-to-l-e-d.html
Old 07-04-13, 07:35 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same issue with my 2002 sc430 and thanks for the tips. Does the lens just pop out with pressure on which side or front/back? Using a screwdriver/knife? I don't want to break the lens trying to fix the light.
Old 07-04-13, 08:01 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Just bought a set of the LED to replace the bayonet style bulbs for the dome lights. $7 for a pair includes adapter. Can not beat it.
Old 07-04-13, 11:16 AM
Autoplak
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Found out how to remove lens. Pocket knife to lift front and hand lift out. Applied extra pressure on the center contact and all seems to be working just fine. I think it best to leave it at that and invoke the KISS approach.
Old 07-04-13, 03:20 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

I took mine out to change to bayonet style LED from iJDMtoy.com. I highly recommend them. As for removing the lens, I recommend using a broad tipped, sharp flat screwdriver and attack it from the side that meets the windshield. Before I figured this out, I made a tiny "dent" in the off white plastic surrounding it on the passenger side b'c the lens looked like it had "divots" for easy removal. WRONG, they weren't for the removal, these are tiny little "boxes" on the inside of the lens that hold the internal magnification lens. Old bait and switch. If you attack it from the edge that blends into the windshield you shouldn't have any problems. Gradually apply twisting pressure (rather than leverage against the windshield) using the screwdriver to pry it up just enough then use your fingers to remove it. Just my two cents.

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-04-13 at 03:26 PM.
Old 07-04-13, 03:44 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 408 Likes on 358 Posts

My 2002 uses a bayonet style bulb. The Lexus part number is 9098112005. (The bulb had a part number written on it of A12V8W-D.)
Old 07-04-13, 06:09 PM
OBP
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Just bought a set of the LED to replace the bayonet style bulbs for the dome lights. $7 for a pair includes adapter. Can not beat it.
Glad you did it Mandy - how many LEDs on each board ? That bright white light must be real nice.
Old 07-04-13, 06:13 PM
ShawnOk
Pole Position

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

These are the bulbs I got from iJDMtoy for my 2002 and they list it as a replacement for a stock BA9 bulb. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/BA9-SMD-LED..._ba9_sku25.htm Fit perfectly.

There more info here... https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post7881767

Last edited by ShawnOk; 07-04-13 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-05-13, 12:12 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by OBP
Glad you did it Mandy - how many LEDs on each board ? That bright white light must be real nice.
Thanks OBP, 12 LED's. Can not wait.

Quick Reply: Dome/Map light replacement bulbs