RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330

Old 02-24-07, 12:35 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330

Has anyone replaced the factory issued OEM battery in their RX330? I have a few questions...

1) If the battery was replaced by your Lexus dealer, what replacement battery (manufacturer) was installed? CCA?
2) What symptons (if any) were present that led to the battery replacement?
3) What needs to be reset after a battery replacement? Do the personalized settings need to be reinitalized?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

To update this post...

Battery was replaced by dealer in October 2007 died February 2010.
Even though it was covered under an 84 month warranty I did not return to the dealer so they could charge a diagnostic fee to tell me I had a defective battery.

I purchased an Optima RedTop battery. According to their webpage the 34R (8003-151) is properly sized for the RX330. The information is incorrect.
It fits in the tray BUT there is a 3 inch gap between the battery and the tie down strap.

Returned the Optima and purchased an Interstate MTP-24F. Specs for the Interstate are:
Cranking Amps: 1000
Cold Cranking Amps: 800
Weight: 44.4
Width: 6.88
Length: 11
Height: 8.75
Its a perfect fit.

After installing the battery I had to reinitialize all the windows and moonroof. Radio presets were retained however memory seating had to be reset.

I hope this updated information helps all who read this thread.
Attached Thumbnails Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330-battery.jpg  

Last edited by Nept_Mica; 02-10-10 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Updated information
Old 02-24-07, 05:24 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nept_Mica
Has anyone replaced the factory issued OEM battery in their RX330? I have a few questions...

1) If the battery was replaced by your Lexus dealer, what replacement battery (manufacturer) was installed? CCA?
2) What symptons (if any) were present that led to the battery replacement?
3) What needs to be reset after a battery replacement? Do the personalized settings need to be reinitalized?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
I'll be practically no help but I'll give it a try.

1) I replaced my battery myself with an Optima Red Top. O believe it is rated at 750CCA or close to that.

2) I simply replaced it for no other reason than I wanted to use the dual posts on the Optima for my A/V system. My original battery was still good and I put it in my old SC400 and traded that car in to a dealer.

3) You have to reset all the power windows and moon roof. The radio presets will also need to be reprogrammed. I don't believe I lost any personalized settings, although mine could all be default so maybe that is why. It also retained my Lexus Homelink settings for the garage door and entry gate.
Old 02-24-07, 08:52 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are going to replace your battery dont do it at the dealer. they'll charge you an arm and leg for it. i am thinking about siwtching to a blue top optima sometime soon when my audio goes back in.
Old 02-24-07, 09:46 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

I bought my Optima Red Top for my RX300 at Interstate and they actually helped me install it on the spot. I can't imagine it could be different from the RX330. Mine is a 34/78 Red Top.
Old 02-25-07, 08:06 AM
biff44
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I think the smart shops plug a small battery into the cigarette lighter when replacing the main battery. That keeps all the various settings alive in memory. You can do the same yourself, or go to a shop that understands how to do it.
Old 02-25-07, 08:45 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

To preserve settings, if you have every thing ready and the time in -between the swap is small, you dont loose anything.

On the other hand having the system clear out is not bad, if you do it once in a while. To soften the impact of all ckear, choose the preferred setting before disconnecting the battery. When you are done with the installation of new battery, store the current position. [For me the seat position that matters, radio is a breeze].

If you do use the ciggarette lighter to power, remember the battery leads become live and if they are shorted, you can blow some fuse.

Salim
Old 02-25-07, 03:58 PM
rxdriver
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With respect to the question about symptoms, the first sign of a weak battery on the RX300's seems to be otherwise inexplicable electronic problems. For example, some people reported strange problems with the clock or radio. All of the body electronics must put a big enough load on the battery that they have problems even before you have trouble cranking the starter one day.

Living in an area with snow and cold, I proactively change the battery about every 3 or 4 years. The absolute worst time to find out the battery is bad is when it's below zero outside.

And for instructions on resetting the moonroof and windows, see my post in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112710

Last edited by rxdriver; 02-25-07 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-28-07, 12:00 AM
Nept_Mica
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you ALL for the responses.
I have one or two remaining questions...
1) will the memory seats have to be reprogrammed?
2) what about settings such as one touch for unlocking all the doors?
Old 02-28-07, 06:55 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

1. Yes. (So put the seat in the #1 spot before taking out the old battery, and add that position to memory before you move it; you are halfway done at that point, and you can let the other driver screw around with setting #2.)

2. No. Those settings will be retained.

3. The most time consuming resetting is for the radio stations.
Old 05-22-08, 05:09 PM
LophatRX
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Silly question, but what kind of prices did any of you check on for the Optima Red top? I tried Costco cause I spent less than 160 for my other car, but at Batteries plus the wanted 189 for the red top for the lexus. And Costco doesn't always keep good stock of the one to fit the Lexus, I don't want to shop at every Costco close to me to find it, if I can get it elsewhere for about that same 160.
Old 05-22-08, 06:05 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Received 80 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by LophatRX
Silly question, but what kind of prices did any of you check on for the Optima Red top? I tried Costco cause I spent less than 160 for my other car, but at Batteries plus the wanted 189 for the red top for the lexus. And Costco doesn't always keep good stock of the one to fit the Lexus, I don't want to shop at every Costco close to me to find it, if I can get it elsewhere for about that same 160.

Got mine at Napa for $75.99; it fit nicely. It probably won't last as long as the Optima, but I usually replace the battery preventative anyway (our OEM Panasonic was still going strong, I was just getting nervous before Winter '07-08).
Old 05-23-08, 09:47 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could someone please list the settings that are going tobe erased, and how could those be programmed?

I see no point in paying $160 for a battery other if additional ports are needed. A typical battery costs $70, and lasts 4-5 yrs. Most will go through only one or two batteries while own the vehicle.

Last edited by Kostyan; 05-23-08 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-23-08, 11:14 AM
cdnewton
Advanced

I had to reprogram the power windows and the sunroof. Strangely enough, I didn't have to redo the radio settings, not sure exactly why.
Old 05-23-08, 11:51 AM
Kostyan
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdnewton
I had to reprogram the power windows and the sunroof. Strangely enough, I didn't have to redo the radio settings, not sure exactly why.
how did you reprogram windows and sunroof?
Old 05-23-08, 12:19 PM
cdnewton
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kostyan
how did you reprogram windows and sunroof?

The owner's manual has a section about replacing the battery and how the ability to control the windows from the driver's side will need to be re-programmed.

Essentially, go to each window
- open / switch down, hold for 1001,1002,1003 after open
- close / switch up, hold for 1001,1002,1003, after closed
go to next window.

If in doubt, check the manual, it gives additional info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacing the OEM battery in the RX330