SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-06, 07:30 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Post SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation

This thread will be updated in the coming weeks as various cameras and DVD players are tested.

OK, I finally got around to installing the reverse camera/DVD interface in my SC430 today. The process was pretty straight forward.

The interface I purchased was from Navtool on Ebay. I selected this interface as someone else I know picked one up for his car (non Lexus) and was pretty satisfied plus (BIG PLUS) it has an auto switch for the reverse camera with an additional input for another input such as DVD though to utilize that input one has to use the enclosed toggle switch. But to reiterate , if you want just the reverse camera function then it is fully automatic. The unit comes with two RCA inputs. One (Input 2) is for the reverse camera. The other (Input 1)is for whatever you like such as DVD ,etc.

The instructions that come with the unit are not bad though not 100% accurate and the corrected instructions are below.

First thing, this unit appears to be of pretty stout quality. Installation is all in the back of the car, not up front. In other words you do not remove the navigation display, just the carpet in the rear of the car.

The camera I used has infrared capability though once I received it I noticed that it is too large for this application as I want it mounted at the top of the license plate recess area the same as OEM cars. But for testing purposes it worked great. I will use it for the home CCTV instead.

To start out the carpet in the rear is removed by popping out the clips and 10mm nuts on the hold downs. The side pockets will have to be removed as well along with the accessory tray in the rear.
Remove the carpet clips in order to access everything underneath. The tool I use was picked up for under 5 bucks from Harbor Freight.

Once removed you will see the following. We will focus on the DVD mav unit located to the right. On the rear are two plugs. Both plugs should be unplugged. Things are a tad tight so take you time. I used a mirror but others may find things easier by removing the nav unit altogether.
I also recommend removing the negative terminal from your battery.

The interface comes with a plug that will fit in between the harness plug and the nav unit. Simply snap into place.

Unfortunately it does not come with the other connector for the rest of the wires. I spliced into the large connector for the ground, accessory power, and the reverse signal. The reverse signal is what automates the entire process. Once the interface receives this, it switches to the INPUT 2 RCA input.
The plugs colors on the car are Grey wire is accessory power, white with black stripe is ground, and the yellow with red stripe is the reverse signal which automatically switches the RCA input once the car is in REVERSE.

Next up are the two white wires for ground and the 3rd wire (green) on the interface is connected to the handbrake (parking brake) signal wire. This will require the cars parking brake to be on before the DVD works. Instead I grounded this wire as well so that the DVD input is always available even if car is in motion.

I wrapped up all of the wiring and secured the interface to the car body next to the nav unit.

Here are some pics:

The connector I am holding is the one for splicing into for the accessory power and reverse signal. Ground can be placed on any of the nuts back there with a good connection to the body.

Unit completly installed.

You can see the 2 inputs here. I recommend securing (not pictured) the cables that feed the input lines so that they do not come out during normal vehicle operation.

Here are some pics of the unit in operation. Video playback is very sharp and I have no complaints there. The unit does have a brightness control on it but the default setting is just right IMO.

Sorry for the poor video as I used my small digi camera to preserve space.

Below are videos of the unit in action. The DVD playback is without sound as I am waiting for an FM transmitter to arrive.

PLEASE RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE ONCE on your computer to save on the server allotment.

SC430 DVD

BACKUP CAMERA

Next up is to find a nice,small wide angle camera that will mount neatly where I want it. There is a license plate camera available as posted by Imbuggin in another thread but I am looking for something a bit permanent and OEM. The license plate option does make things much simpler though.

I have a very compact DVD unit with remote on order though playing DVD's in my car is not high on my list but since the option is now there, what the heck. Another option is to use an interface cable with an Ipod video to output the signals to the nav screen. Very cool.

Just to answer, yes, the nav VOICE still works fine while playing a DVD. To view a map requires the toggle to be moved over is all. I am looking for a nicer button setup vs a toggle which is a bit cheasy IMO.

Questions ,comments are welcome
thanks
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-21-06 at 10:44 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 08:32 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Couple of additional pics of unit in action.

DVD PLAYBACK

REVERSE CAMERA
The items in the picture are about 2 feet behind the camera so it works well and the camera has a nice angle to it.
Yes, I know I need some gas.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-21-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 09:05 AM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dang Lee, very impressive writeup as always. You can't help but mod can you?

Keep up the great work!
The following users liked this post:
Colin0151 (04-20-17)
Old 08-21-06, 09:19 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome Lee, No dash work! Great. Thanks for the great write up. This looks pretty easy to get great results. Nice!!!
I will be searching for the smallest rugidized DVD\TV-tuner to mate with the unit. Exactly what car model is the one you picked up designed for?

Last edited by Radical350; 08-21-06 at 09:25 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 09:27 AM
ACleanSC4
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Your writeup's are awesome! I'm looking for a nice backup camera right now too for my carputer. I picked a nice wide angle camera up from eBay not too long ago. I'm also thinking of getting an infrared camera as well...let me know if you find a nice one!
Old 08-21-06, 09:34 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Lee, I don't know what else I can say~~~
Old 08-21-06, 09:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

holy cow, this is awesome, lee, thank you so much for the info!!!!!!!!

very likely i will talk to you soon with more questions, lee
Old 08-21-06, 10:21 AM
StunnaSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were in Cali u at? maybe you can help me with this
Old 08-21-06, 10:55 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the comments guys.
Billy, I picked up this one from Ebay. I will know more once it is installed but it is small, portable, 12v, has a remote with sensor cable.
StunnaSC, I am in the Riverside/Fontana area. Soon to be further up north in the Quartz Hill area. Glad to help
Lee

# 12v MOBILE DVD/MP3/CD MULTIMEDIA PLAYER
# AUDIO CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3/VCD
# FULL FUNCTION INFRARED REMOTE CONTROL
# MULTI-LANGUAGE OSD (ON SCREEN DISPLAY) MENU
# ELECTRONIC FRONT LOADING SYSTEM
# ANTI-SKIP MEMORY SYSTEM
# FAST FORWARD & REVERSE
# MULT-ANGLE/SUBTITLES
# DTS STREAM OUTPUT
# ANALOG OUTPUT
# EXTERNAL INFRARED REMOTE SENSOR
Attached Thumbnails SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation-pd178.jpg  

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-21-06 at 11:10 AM.
Old 08-21-06, 11:09 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Thanks for the comments guys.
Billy, I picked up this one from Ebay. I will know more once it is installed but it is small, portable, 12v, has a remote with sensor cable.
StunnaSC, I am in the Riverside/Fontana area. Soon to be further up north in the Quartz Hill area. Glad to help
Lee
Lee,

Just tell me your rate per hour and I will drive to your location!!!!! BTW do you have the picture as to where the camera was mounted?

Thanks!
Old 08-21-06, 04:04 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Lee,

Thx for taking the time to post the pics as well as detailed instructions! It's going to be beneficial when I do this project. Does anybody know what the aspect ratio for the oem screen is? Thx!

Last edited by Yeah!; 08-21-06 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-21-06, 07:39 PM
imhai217
Driver School Candidate

I was wondering who make's that interface and what model is.

Thanks,
Old 08-21-06, 08:29 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice job man.
As for the camera, I'd try one from another car. My Acura MDX has a very nice factory camera (part of the NAV/RES package) above the license plate; you can barely see it (1" x 1"), and am sure you can install it on the SC easy. It's incredibly bright; even when it's dark outside I can see like if it was daylight just with the backup lights.
As a final comment, you don't have to press the 'okay' button on the Nav for the backup screen to come up on my MDX. Seems like you must do it on the SC, in addition to opening the Nav door every time. Just for that reason I wouldn't do it (I always have the door closed), but it's a nice gadget.

What's next: power rearview mirror and power A/C vents??
Old 08-21-06, 08:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestion on the MDX, I will look into this. Just to clarify the unit bypasses the NAV system so it comes on without pressing OK. Just put it into reverse.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 08-21-06 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-22-06, 01:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

hey mark, get in mind, i already asked lee about it

lee, i have a question about audio. i glimpsed through the whole thread, i noticed about how the video is fed to the system, but how is audio done? i am just wondering if i can feed the video, that's 50% of the work. but also need to make sure good sound quality are fed correctly to the ML system/

sorry if it's somewhere but i missed it @_@

i will need to talk to you more for sure, lee

Quick Reply: SC430 Reverse camera/DVD Installation