IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

so what happened to remote start??

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 05:15 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
Default so what happened to remote start??

just wanted to know if anyone had installed it to date on their IS, any interference, if your spare key was needed for the install.......

thanks
Old 10-29-08, 05:54 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I remember seeing it awhile back. You are going to have trouble with the MT though!
Old 10-29-08, 06:17 PM
2k2 R1
Lead Lap

do a search
Old 10-30-08, 08:26 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

^^did the search beforehand, came up old news

i know its illegal to install the remote start in MT at a chain store, but most independent audio places will do it
Old 10-30-08, 09:19 AM
Feirax
Driver

I finally bit the bullet and had a remote start installed in my IS350 last week.

They did not need my second fob.
I opted for an AstroStart RS-5224 (1 mile range, 2-way).

Limitations so far with the Lexus are:
-Can't hit the remote-start button once the car is running, get out and then shut the car down remotely. (Most people probably wouldn't be concerned but can be handy when u pickup people who are often late and decide you want to shut the car off because they won't be ready for awhile.....)
-If I start the car with lights on AUTO, and then shut down the car remotely (without ever getting in) the headlights never shut off. I'm going back to the installer to see if we can get around it, but I think the car is looking for the door open/close in order to start the light shutoff timer.
-Not so much a limitation, but a minor annoyance (at least for me) is that to hand-off control of the ignition, I have to hit the unlock button on the remote and then within 45 seconds hit the brake.

The place I went to say they will do both AT, or MT with no problem on most cars.

Good luck.
Old 10-30-08, 09:59 AM
Gus738
Driver

Since they are doing the remote start doesnt that remove or bypass the coded key thing so the car starts? if so can be stolen since oem key is not needed?
Old 10-30-08, 10:23 AM
Feirax
Driver

The remote start module won't let you drive the car without the factory key, if you put your foot on the brake without the factory key it kills the engine. The car can only be started from the remote, or using the factory key. They told me it's safe, and the lamo factory anti-theft is still in place. I tried searching but didn't see information on how a key-bypass would reduce security so I took their word for it.
Old 10-30-08, 10:28 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

oh wow awesome info

i have my own remote start unit already, how much did your store charge for the install??
Old 10-30-08, 10:40 AM
Feirax
Driver

I don't recall exactly, but I think it was somewhere around $150 or so.
Old 10-30-08, 09:13 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Feirax
I finally bit the bullet and had a remote start installed in my IS350 last week.

They did not need my second fob.
I opted for an AstroStart RS-5224 (1 mile range, 2-way).

Limitations so far with the Lexus are:
-Can't hit the remote-start button once the car is running, get out and then shut the car down remotely. (Most people probably wouldn't be concerned but can be handy when u pickup people who are often late and decide you want to shut the car off because they won't be ready for awhile.....)
-If I start the car with lights on AUTO, and then shut down the car remotely (without ever getting in) the headlights never shut off. I'm going back to the installer to see if we can get around it, but I think the car is looking for the door open/close in order to start the light shutoff timer.
-Not so much a limitation, but a minor annoyance (at least for me) is that to hand-off control of the ignition, I have to hit the unlock button on the remote and then within 45 seconds hit the brake.

The place I went to say they will do both AT, or MT with no problem on most cars.

Good luck.
Something doesnt make sense here

First no one can start this car with out the key fob? So I am not understanding how they got your car to start with out this. This to me means your car is free to start at any time. It also wouldnt know if the Key was there or not with what I am reading. I researched this last year for the IS and went to several shops that have done this for high end exotic cars and many other cars. The only way to do this is to take apart a Key Fob and get the transponder that allows the car to start out of it. They hard wire this through the battery and the remote starter. This is set up so that once the door is opened the car is killed. I saw a few of them to make certain that it really worked. I didnt believe this until I saw it. But it does work and I am getting it done on the GS and its the same process for the IS to get it done. I would get a 3rd key fob so you are not down to 1 key.

I would like to hear more info on how they got this to work and get the products they used for this. Post up a YouTube video so we can see this thing in action please.

Thanks,
Old 10-31-08, 03:16 AM
Feirax
Driver

Hey passn..

To be clear, under normal circumstances no one can drive the car without the factory key fob.

To start the car you can either do it the old fashioned way, or if you want to use the remote start it goes something like this:
1) Hit start button on remote start fob.
-> Car starts, sends confirmation back to remote indicating car started
2) You wait for car to warm up, cool off, etc
3) You walk to car, hit unlock button on remote start fob.
-> Car unlocks (and stays running)
4) You hit brake, remote start module shuts down -> if factory key fob isn't present the car shuts off, otherwise the car detects factory key and car stays running (and then you can drive away).

Also, I'm not sure exactly how they do it, but the shop uses a special key bypass for the remote start module to be able to start the car. You don't lose a factory key fob in the process.

I mentioned the remote start unit I chose, if I remember I'll ask them about the details on the key bypass next week.
Old 10-31-08, 06:07 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Please do ask them what they used. I know this is the process that they use in cars that take a key to start...This is how it is in my wifes car. Only difference is if you dont insert the key and turn to the on position before you hit the brake the car shuts off. So it follows the same thing here I just dont see how they get your car to start with out the key fob present period.

Post back with further info and see if your receipt shows anything else on there. I know for my wifes car they used something to allow this to work also. In her last car they zip tied the spare key under the dash and this time they used something that pulled the code if I recall correctly so they didnt use a key this time. I wonder if your shop used the same thing??

Thank you!
Old 10-31-08, 06:22 AM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
^^did the search beforehand, came up old news

i know its illegal to install the remote start in MT at a chain store, but most independent audio places will do it
So, you start it in neutral?
Old 10-31-08, 10:57 AM
69Stang
Rookie

Thanks for the info ! I just called a local dealer and they want 279.00 $/Cdn installed. He stated any starter will work you just have to install the correct bypass modular. Install included the starter only as I don't need the remote doors.
Old 10-31-08, 03:45 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FiveOhNine
So, you start it in neutral?
yeah, dont you leave the car in neutral anyways when parked??

Quick Reply: so what happened to remote start??