RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models
Old 01-09-15, 03:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Engine and Powertrain Guides
Print Wikipost

How often should I change the serpentine belt?

Old 09-18-08, 02:30 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How often should I change the serpentine belt?

How often should i Change the serpentine belt? I have a 99 rx300 AWD with 210k miles on it. Last time it was changed was almost 2.5 years ago right before i bought the car which was roughly at 150k miles. Also is this something that any of you have done yourself or is this best left to mechanics? Thanks for all your input
Old 09-18-08, 02:46 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine started sqeaking at about 60,000 miles, and I had it replaced, but some people here have gotten more than 100,000 miles. My feeling is 90,000 miles (timing belt replacement time), unless you hear it squeaking first.

The only issue I see is getting the tension right. The mechanic who did mine got access by removing the cover above the radiator (to get access with a long socket entender) and through the removable panel behind the front right wheel. Other writeups on this forum have approached it differently.
Old 09-18-08, 02:48 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

One more thing. I believe it is two belts, and I don't think they are serpentine.
Old 09-18-08, 03:29 PM
UNOHOO

oh ok cool, ill check it tomorrow and get a better handle on the condition it is in when i change the oil tomorrow evening, its not squeaking or anything but i would just like to know BEFORE it all goes to hell on me lol
Old 09-18-08, 05:03 PM
JAB
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Like BOB2200 said, assuming that you are not referring to the timing belt (which has a replacement interval of 90,000 miles) the belt(s) that drive the accessories, i.e. a/c, power steering, and alternator, is not a serpentine - it is two separate belts.
Old 09-18-08, 08:38 PM
HarrierAWD
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no set interval on changing the serpentine belt. Inspect it monthly for crack or wear. If it doesn't look good or starts to make noise, it's time to change it.

Do not apply any dressing or cleaner on it. Just wipe it clean with a damp cloth monthly.
Old 09-18-08, 11:09 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
How often should i Change the serpentine belt? I have a 99 rx300 AWD with 210k miles on it. Last time it was changed was almost 2.5 years ago right before i bought the car which was roughly at 150k miles. Also is this something that any of you have done yourself or is this best left to mechanics? Thanks for all your input
I changed both the belts recently on my DIL's 99RX with 120k+ and it was time to change but they were not in bad shape. Fine cracking but otherwise in sound condition- and they were the original belts. I wouldn't use anything on a Toyota/ Lexus but original equipment belts (timing, PS and Alt./ AC). I feel they make better belts than anything in aftermarket. Those belts will go a LONG ways and just do a visual check on 'em whenever you change the oil. If you have a jack and some mechanical ability you can easily change 'em- without those 2 things, I'd probably let a mechanic do it.
Old 09-19-08, 05:50 AM
UNOHOO

yea fortunately my girlfriends dad has pretty much any tool i would ever need, my girlfriend used to help her dad build cars basically from the ground up so theyre helping me learn to work on my car myself, i appreciate all the input you guys have given me and if anyone is going to change any of those belts soon thatd be cool if you took some pics to share up here
Old 09-19-08, 06:32 AM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Does he have the belt tension gauge?

That is the only special tool required, else all you need is standard set of tools and long screwdriver/bar to provide leverage.

Salim
Old 09-19-08, 07:27 AM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Wow, let your girlfriend change it....You are a lucky guy....
Old 09-21-08, 12:25 AM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have 120k miles on our original belt.

Maybe its time I change mine.
Old 09-23-08, 08:03 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by thomas1
Wow, let your girlfriend change it....You are a lucky guy....
you dont know the half of it
Old 10-31-08, 02:54 PM
GarthVader
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with new Power Steering and Alt/AC belt kit

My 1999 RX 300 has about 150,000 miles on it. I serviced it regularly at the dealership and then switched to a local mechanic at about 80,000 miles. Other than the infamous tranny meltdown reported by many users, the car has run mostly trouble-free.

During this past summer, if I started the engine with the Auto temperature button engaged (engaging the car's AC/Heating system), I'd get a horrible whistling sound from the AC belt. Turning off the Auto button would immediately make the whistling stop. Once the car had idled for a minute or so, I could re-engage the Auto temp button, and the belts would run squeal-free. (I've never had a problem with the heating/cooling system). The obvious workaround was to disengage the Auto button before shutting off the car so it would be off when re-starting the car.

Toward the end of summer, I also noticed my power steering felt a little sluggish so my mechanic suggested replacing both belts, which made sense, and they hadn't been replaced since the 90,000 mile service.

He replaced the belts but now, whenever I start the car (whether the Auto temp button is engaged or not), the belt(s) make a deafaning squeal for about 15 seconds until the belt(s) correctly seat in the groove.

I brought the car back to the mechanic right away. He checked the tension and said all was well. He put a little anti-noise goo on the belt but next day, the belt(s) starting squealing again.

I'm wondering if he replaced the belts with the correct aftermarket belts.

The larger/wider belt on top is a Contitech MultiRib 6PK 1045 (made in Romania). A second set of green numbers on the belt reads 26 03 07 (date of manufacture?). A third set of green numbers reads 10-86; 10-87; 10-88; 10-89; 10-90.

The lower, narrow belt reads Contitech MultiRib 4PK 880. There are a series of what appear to be sixteen green dots in a square (4 X 4) that may be characters or symbols but I cannot read them.

Does anyone know if these belts are wholly compatible with the 1999 Lexus RX 300?
Old 10-31-08, 06:49 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

One should always check with the dealer for the OEM part. Even with the mark up the price may not be bad.

A few weeks ago, I mentioned my alternator/AC belt broke. Went to the dealer and picked one up for $15.

Then I bought a tension gauge from Ebay and a friend of mine confirmed calibration to be -10lbs at 130.

I bought the power steering belt from dealer. And about 1hr ago uinstalled the A/c and then installed both. I was unable to get leverage to tension the steering pump (got it to about 90 and wanted 150 for the new). I will run it for a day or two and then try again. The alternator/AC was easy to tension up as it has a bolt. (got that to 90 per spec).

I bought the kent-moore gauge for GM vehicles. It works well for the power-steering belt. For alternator, the claws hook on from the wrong side but still work.

Salim
Old 10-31-08, 10:33 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by GarthVader
My 1999 RX 300 has about 150,000 miles on it. I serviced it regularly at the dealership and then switched to a local mechanic at about 80,000 miles. Other than the infamous tranny meltdown reported by many users, the car has run mostly trouble-free.

During this past summer, if I started the engine with the Auto temperature button engaged (engaging the car's AC/Heating system), I'd get a horrible whistling sound from the AC belt. Turning off the Auto button would immediately make the whistling stop. Once the car had idled for a minute or so, I could re-engage the Auto temp button, and the belts would run squeal-free. (I've never had a problem with the heating/cooling system). The obvious workaround was to disengage the Auto button before shutting off the car so it would be off when re-starting the car.

Toward the end of summer, I also noticed my power steering felt a little sluggish so my mechanic suggested replacing both belts, which made sense, and they hadn't been replaced since the 90,000 mile service.

He replaced the belts but now, whenever I start the car (whether the Auto temp button is engaged or not), the belt(s) make a deafaning squeal for about 15 seconds until the belt(s) correctly seat in the groove.

I brought the car back to the mechanic right away. He checked the tension and said all was well. He put a little anti-noise goo on the belt but next day, the belt(s) starting squealing again.

I'm wondering if he replaced the belts with the correct aftermarket belts.

The larger/wider belt on top is a Contitech MultiRib 6PK 1045 (made in Romania). A second set of green numbers on the belt reads 26 03 07 (date of manufacture?). A third set of green numbers reads 10-86; 10-87; 10-88; 10-89; 10-90.

The lower, narrow belt reads Contitech MultiRib 4PK 880. There are a series of what appear to be sixteen green dots in a square (4 X 4) that may be characters or symbols but I cannot read them.

Does anyone know if these belts are wholly compatible with the 1999 Lexus RX 300?
GV- Go back and tell your mechanic to kindly remove his backwoods made belts. Belts are made in every country in the world now - most of em you can't even pronounce. I replaced the belts on my DIL's 99RX a little while back and since I was at Pep Boys getting some other stuff I'd get them there. The original belts were Gates (Toyota), yes those were the original belts. I figured since they were good enough for Lexus to build the car with, they were good enough now. BIG MISTAKE. They squalled like a banshe whenever you'd start it up. I checked the tension and it was good, so I spent a lot of time checking other things, thinking it couldn't be the belts. I could find nothing so I decided to put the old belt with 120k on it back on and the squell was gone. I looked carefully at the belt and even compared the old and new and miced the grooves. The grooves were off slightly from the old one. I returned the belt and went to Toyota and bought new belts there and the original belts from Toyota were about $5.-6. each less than the gates at PB's. You live and learn. I can almost guarantee you that if you deep 6 those bogus belts and use original Toyota your problems will be gone!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How often should I change the serpentine belt?