RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Error 2 code on CD changer.

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-08, 02:00 PM
Ali4509
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error 2 code on CD changer.

Hey for some reason, I have a error 2 code on my CD changer, The Cassette deck, FM radio all works fine, but it cannot read any CDs, it could change the discs fine, but gives me a error 2 code.

Lexus won't tell me what that code means, and tryed to sell me a new system, problem is Nakamichi Doesn't make Premium sound systems anymore, They can only get pioneer.

Anyone else has this code? any solutions? any place can tell me what it means?

and if I should get a after market audio system, how difficult is it to install, since the audio and climate controls in integrated.
Old 08-13-08, 05:27 PM
bob2200
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome to ClubLexus.

If you are new to the RX300 too, it might be possible that the CDs are in backwards. The RX300 CD magazine loads backwards from what is intuitive, and I think this might give this error code.
Old 08-13-08, 10:12 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Error code 2 indicates that the file cannot be located on the disc. As bob2200 said above, it may be due to something as simple a loading the discs upside down. My RX 300 and my Panasonic disc players all used the same system that seemed to be backwards from the rest of the world.

If the discs were some you burned, there could be other errors, but a regular commercial CD should play properly if the code 2 report is all that is wrong.
Old 08-14-08, 11:30 AM
Ali4509
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Error code 2 indicates that the file cannot be located on the disc. As bob2200 said above, it may be due to something as simple a loading the discs upside down. My RX 300 and my Panasonic disc players all used the same system that seemed to be backwards from the rest of the world.

If the discs were some you burned, there could be other errors, but a regular commercial CD should play properly if the code 2 report is all that is wrong.
Thank you and Bob.

Yeah it's weird, I couldn't find a answer anywhere and Lexus wouldn't tell me what the error two code meant, and were trying to sell me another system, didn't do well since I was told by the parts and service area that Nakamichi does not make car audio systems anymore.

It did work, and burned cds work as well.

anyways thanks for the help.
Old 08-14-08, 07:10 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Do you have a CD label on the CD, I had a problem with my GS430 which has the Mark Levinson system - turned out to be the label on a homemade CD I had.
Old 08-15-08, 07:07 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

habee is quite right, you do have to be careful with CD labels. In my business we burn as many as 500 CD's or DVD's a month, and because my wife is a music collector, she burns all of the music CD's for our RX. We use Neato (by Fellowes) matte finish labels, and have never had a problem with labels peeling or otherwise interfering with the disc or the loading mechanism.

These are considered "permanent" labels, and that can be a drawback - once they touch the disc - even if you accidentally touch it down in the wrong spot, that's it, you're NOT going to peel it off cleanly. Make a mistake, you burn another disc. If you use one of the jigs provided to locate the label, centering it is not a problem.

If you need to change the label for some reason, DO NOT place another label over the original - it won't stick as tightly, and may interfere with the loading mechanism. CD's are cheap - burn a copy and put the correct label on that disc.

That label also helps protect the data on your CD or DVD. The TOP of the disc is the vulnerable spot, not the bottom as you might expect. The way the disc is made, there is a fairly thick protective plastic layer on the bottom of the disc to which the metallic film on which the data will be inscribed is applied.

Depending on the manufacturer, the layer on top of the film may be a very thin plastic sheet or a coat of lacquer. For that reason, a good label will help protect that vulnerable top of your disc from mishandling. Of course it is always a good idea to protect your discs in a rigid CD wallet, jewel, or clamshell case.

At this point we should mention disc repair. If you have a disc that becomes scratched, there are several commercial products that can help recover the data. Toothpaste (paste, not gel) has been used successfully to polish out the worst scratches, although I've used a good auto polish to do the same thing. Carefully apply polish and buff from the inside of the disc outward, not around the disc. You want any remaining marks to be perpendicular to the track. If you can get the disc to play properly, copy it to a fresh disc and discard your repaired one - it's never going to be completely right.

If you have small children in the house, teach them to handle discs with respect, by the edges - the way we used to handle vinyl discs. I don't know how many movies we've rented that were smeared with sticky fingerprints, oil, carpet fuzz, and undifferentiated goo that can wind up inside your player. It's a good idea to LOOK at any disc before you load it.