Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

So if no boost then what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-08, 04:57 PM
donaldmejr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So if no boost then what?

So if SC or a turbo is out of the question then other the I/H/E upgrades what other parts are there for the IS250's???
Old 07-13-08, 05:44 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

u can lighten you're vehicle by stripping out unnecessary stuff, lighter rims and tires, lose weight yourself, and build up your own turbo/sc kit. Oh and don't forget engine swapping.

Edit- if you had the time and money, get the 4GR built
Old 07-13-08, 05:50 PM
donaldmejr
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nabbun
u can lighten you're vehicle by stripping out unnecessary stuff, lighter rims and tires, lose weight yourself, and build up your own turbo/sc kit. Oh and don't forget engine swapping.

Edit- if you had the time and money, get the 4GR built
I was thinking about building the 4gr but then what about the ecu whats the deal with that??? Im sure there more performance parts out there if there was a fix for the ECU
Old 07-13-08, 06:09 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

have this as your daily driver and get a sports car that is dedicated for performance only and enjoy it on the weekend

I feel you on this and there just isn't much out there for us....Lowering the car and putting on some good tires makes a world of difference on the handling if you like to drive hard. Other then that the rest is all "sound" & "looks" unfortunately.
Old 07-13-08, 06:32 PM
donaldmejr
Driver School Candidate

what about cams?? I know there isnt any aftermarket cams out there but has anyone had theirs reground?
Old 07-13-08, 11:16 PM
kuuqi
Lead Lap

sadly, almost all new cars lack any sort of aftermarket now, particularly in the luxury segment. the precision of engines now pretty much require complete engine rebuilds and retuning to produce higher power. and currently, yes intake, exhaust and headers are the only parts readily available without custom builds.

the only recommendation is to trade in for an is350 or is-f to gain higher performance, which is basically changing the engine. even the 350's supercharger gains aren't significant enough to justify the costs. as passnu said, run the 250 as a daily driver and do suspension modifications for cornering.

that being said, if you're staying rwd, go for a 350 or F. if you have awd, then tuning with header, full dual exhaust and intake can get you to about 240hp (though slight custom mods are needed to match the header and exhaust). at which point you'd have a 240hp, 200tq awd car that won't lose significantly against a 350 while theoretically cornering slightly faster due to lighter weight (check me on that, i forgot the curb weight) and the awd traction. that's the path i'm going seeing i prefer the awd with our snowy and cold winters. plus the gas mileage for the 250 is nice
Old 07-14-08, 12:06 AM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ sure there's an aftermarket for new cars nowadays.. just not our cars.. Anything with a turbo will still get big gains for relatively low $$$

and even if you manage to squeeze out 240hp on a awd IS.. It still will lose pretty bad against a stock 350. Not to mention being totally illegal with missing cats and getting a lower mpg along with your extra hp. You're also mistaken that you'll be lighter than a 350 since a awd 250 is like 3600+ lbs. It's about 100lbs heavier than a 350. The lighter one is the 250rwd model.
Old 07-14-08, 03:28 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by donaldmejr
I was thinking about building the 4gr but then what about the ecu whats the deal with that??? Im sure there more performance parts out there if there was a fix for the ECU
replace the ECUs
Old 07-14-08, 06:36 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

even with a turbo.. this segment really doesn't offer to much aftermarket support. I mean yea you can get a 335i boost the hell out of it..but then worry about warrenty issues... or get the dinan chip which is isanely overpriced and there is still limp mode issues with it.

Or get a G37 and drop a twin turbo kit in it... but sacrificing your warrenty and a lot of reliability.

Basically if you bought a lexus to supe it up for a lot more speed then you really made a bad decision lol.

If you wanted that then i'd look into the EVO or a STI, those cars tuned destroy any car on the market.
Old 07-14-08, 06:40 AM
SebsIS350
Driver

I agree with Mike, that if you want a straight out performance car buy it as a weekender and keep this one as a DD. Eventually thats what im going to do.. althought it would of been nice for lexus to come out with a twin turbo.. i mean they are one of the few that actually get it right
Old 07-14-08, 08:08 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If you want your IS250 to be significantly faster, trade it in for an IS350.

If you want your IS250 to be faster and MUST have AWD (which honestly most people could replace with improving their driving and getting good snow tires) then trade in for a GS350.

Anything else is chasing your tail and dropping a bunch of cash for results that won't be as good as the solution I just described.

Now, if you live someplace that you don't care about being legal, the mazzuri header offers pretty decent bang/buck, but it's still not going to make the car near as quick as a 350.
Old 07-14-08, 09:20 AM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

i don't know why you 350 guys like bashing on us 250 guys.

we want mods to make our cars faster than it is or just to make it special and stand out from others. most of us either couldn't find or afford a 350 in the first place. we were attracted to the 250/350 just like u guys were for the luxury and what this car has to offer over it's competitors.

why do you buy red outs and get coils and stuff for your car?

why don't you stop spending money customizing it and just get a car with all the stuff your looking to do? it's not really constructive to just shoot down ppl's dreams and goals like that.

I am for creating and innovating. I hope we can find ways to upgrade the 250/350 motors and make some power to compete with the 335/g37 guys and not have to switch marquees just to get that kind of performance. ya dig?

Last edited by nabbun; 07-14-08 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-14-08, 10:01 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

we want mods to make our cars faster than it is or just to make it special and stand out from others. most of us either couldn't find or afford a 350 in the first place. we were attracted to the 250/350 just like u guys were for the luxury and what this car has to offer over it's competitors.

why don't you stop spending money customizing it and just get a car with all the stuff your looking to do? it's not really constructive to just shoot down ppl's dreams and goals like that.

I am for creating and innovating. I hope we can find ways to upgrade the 250/350 motors and make some power to compete with the 335/g37 guys and not have to switch marquees just to get that kind of performance. ya dig?
I don't buy red-outs. Nobody sees em except people I'm passing and I don't really care if they like my taillights or not.

If you want to compete with a G37 then get an IS350. Last I checked the IS350 had the same marquis as your car.

I'm not bashing on your car, I'm telling you the truth about what your car is and what it can do.

The amount of money it would cost in motor mods to make an IS250 engine produce the power the IS350 does would cost you MORE than just getting an IS350 (or trading your 250 in for one).

It's an idea that doesn't make any sense.

There's no reasonable forced induction option for you, no amount of bolt ons will add 100 hp, and there's nothing you can do to the ECU. If you want an extra 100 hp your cheapest option is to trade your car in for an IS350.

I suppose you could go with the bolt ons and nitrous and hope for the best, but you'd only have 2/3rds of your extra power for a few seconds at a time, your cost would still be reasonably high, and after enough refills of the bottle would still be higher than just getting a 350 in the first place.... assuming you didn't blow your motor before then.
Old 07-14-08, 12:33 PM
ba-b4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think we're bashing your 250 it's just that it doesn't make sense to try to mod it for power to be on the level of what you're saying 335 and G35/37. Even if it were possible you'll be sacrificing way too much to get there. Like Kurtz said if you want that level of power you should just trade it in for a nice used 350 and buy an extended warranty and you'll save time, money, and headache. If you do it's like you just got a factory backed supercharger that just gave you almost an extra 100hp on your 250. Except without all of the headache and install hassles. How much would it cost you to do so? Not as much as if you got some Greddy/HKS/LMS/TOMS supercharger and have it installed and tuned I'll bet...
Old 07-14-08, 04:48 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

meh. if i could do it al over again, I would have tried harder to locate a 350. just the dealers in my area were reluctant to help and my dad was throwing down the down payment (I pay monthly, gas and insurance) also i needed to sell my other two cars to keep the car payments and insurance down to a minimum. kinda had a short time span to get this car.

But then again, if I did have the 350, I'd be getting rims, custom intake, custome exhaust from the headers down through a single exhaust, coils, and rear sway bar.

Quick Reply: So if no boost then what?