IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

low battery key fob

Old 07-02-08, 09:24 PM
shrka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default low battery key fob

Not sure if it has been discussed or if anyone has experienced this, but
I always wonder if I would know when the battery in the key fob is low.
Well, today, the display in the car let me know that.
So if you were worried...there you go. Just check you display in your car ...
Old 07-02-08, 09:39 PM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently noticed that too and I almost missed it. I saw it when I was turning the car off and for some reason the dash was still lit and I got worried that something broke (CEL light or something) but I saw the low key battery message. I turned the car on and off a few more times to see if it would warn me again but it didn't. Anyone know how many times it will show up after the initial warning? Anyway, I've been on that battery since Dec. 05!
Old 07-02-08, 09:53 PM
shrka
Pole Position

is the battery easy to change?
Old 07-02-08, 10:19 PM
Little E
Lexus Champion

I got this message about a month ago and meant to do something about it, but I totally forgot. Then about two weeks ago, I ended up having to use my manual key to get in my car because my fob battery was completely dead (I've only had my car 7 months brand new).

I ordered some batteries from Battery Bob http://www.batterybob.com, and he shipped (free shipping) a 5 pack of batteries to me over night. The fob takes battery CR 1632. It was easy to swap out. If you need any help changing the battery, PM me. I'll be glad to walk you through it.
Old 07-02-08, 11:00 PM
Navigatn
Pole Position

i just recently had my car tell me my fob is low on batt. pretty good considering i've had it since nov 05! so instead of replacing the batt, i just switched over to my spare fob. brilliant!
Old 07-03-08, 04:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I think you'll find a lot of posts where there had been no warning, as well.
Old 07-03-08, 07:14 AM
MLIAISON
Lead Lap

It's always good to keep a spare battery in the glove box.
Old 07-03-08, 07:17 AM
shrka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Little E
I got this message about a month ago and meant to do something about it, but I totally forgot. Then about two weeks ago, I ended up having to use my manual key to get in my car because my fob battery was completely dead (I've only had my car 7 months brand new).

I ordered some batteries from Battery Bob http://www.batterybob.com, and he shipped (free shipping) a 5 pack of batteries to me over night. The fob takes battery CR 1632. It was easy to swap out. If you need any help changing the battery, PM me. I'll be glad to walk you through it.
sweet...thanks for the info.

7 months...! wow that's short.
Old 07-03-08, 08:37 AM
RshaoKh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shrka
is the battery easy to change?
It's really easy.... Take the metal key part out of the FOB and use a flathead screwdriver to pry the case apart (gently so you don't scratch anything). There's just a small chip in there with 2 batteries. Pop the batteries out and insert the new ones. Put everything back and snap the FOB together. Put the metal key back in. If you need more pictures on where to "pry" the FOB apart, check the Owner's Manual. The pics help a lot.

As for people not getting warnings of a low key battery msg.... I'm wondering if they didn't see it? I ALMOST missed it and I could not get the message to show up again (well after several tries at least). It was one of those times where I thought something was wrong with the car and I just thought it was my imagination when I caught a glimpse of of the warning (that didn't last long as well).
Old 07-03-08, 10:35 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Little E
I ordered some batteries from Battery Bob http://www.batterybob.com, and he shipped (free shipping) a 5 pack of batteries to me over night. The fob takes battery CR 1632.
In addition to the vendor Little E mentioned, they are also readily available on e-bay. (And if time is of the essence, the dealership). Don't waste your time with CVS, Radio Shack, the supermarket, etc. it's not a size that typically on those watch and calculator battery racks.

I can confirm that some of these batteries die an early death without warning. It happened to me when my car was 2 1/2 months old. The replacement battery has been working great for 2 years and 5 months.
Old 07-03-08, 10:37 AM
sirkfc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my car for 1 year, 7 months, and driven it about 16K miles. I use both key fobs about the same amount, and store them apart when at home. I haven't had any battery issues thus far (knock on wood). I wonder what's causing the disparity with some people having keys that don't last a year. Are you storing your key within range of the car, and/or do you sit in your car for a long time every day?
Old 07-03-08, 10:43 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sirkfc
I've had my car for 1 year, 7 months, and driven it about 16K miles. I use both key fobs about the same amount, and store them apart when at home. I haven't had any battery issues thus far (knock on wood). I wonder what's causing the disparity with some people having keys that don't last a year. Are you storing your key within range of the car, and/or do you sit in your car for a long time every day?
I think some fobs just come with a bum battery. Just like when you buy a new tv and the remote batteries don't last that long the first time around. I bought my car brand new back in Dec 07. I don't keep my fob close to my cell phone in purse, nor do I start/stop lock/unlock my car a lot (I only have 4k miles on my car) yet I had to replace my fob battery already.
Old 07-03-08, 10:48 AM
slee18
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm... I have mine since dec 06 and still running strong. E it might have been hitting something in your purse and depressing one button. or the battery was bad like you said!
Old 07-03-08, 10:53 AM
Little E
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by slee18
hmmm... I have mine since dec 06 and still running strong. E it might have been hitting something in your purse and depressing one button. or the battery was bad like you said!
Nope, I keep my fob well protected in an isolated zipped up area away from any contact with other objects in my purse (I am **** about things like that).
Old 10-16-08, 08:27 AM
sirCharles
Lead Lap

Damn stealer wants $12.95

not big deal but seems most get it free. Damn Nalley Lexus in Atlanta.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: low battery key fob