Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

How hard is it to adjust ride height ( front and rear) and rear shocks with coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-08, 06:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default How hard is it to adjust ride height ( front and rear) and rear shocks with coilovers

I am going to be ordering the Tanabe pro 5 coilovers for the 3GS . The system is available with a unit similar to Teins EDFC, but its called TEAS. My question to you guys is do I really need this feature. I know it will allow me adjust shocks while driving, but I had adjustable shocks on my G35 and it was pretty simple to adjust the front, but I couldnt get the rears easily so I used to have the dealer adjust my setting. I dont have a problem opening the hood to adjust shocks myself, but can I get to the rear shock towers through the trunk or is it more involved? Also how does one adjust ride height. I know the shock tower is threaded and the system comes with a tool to turn the adjustment ring, but do I need to lift the car and remove the wheels? Or is it something you can adjust while the car is on the ground. I am ordering the coilovers to drop the car a little more and to really improve handling. At this point I am so frustrated with the handling on the car I am prepared to trade any amount of ride quality for the freakn insane handling that my previous tuned G35 had. Iknow I keep harping on the handling on this car, but I guess its all relative to what you had before the Gs.
(myG35 had tokico adj shocks set to 1.5 turns from full hard, tanabe gf210 springs, NISMO sway bar 36mm front and 24mm rear ( yes thay are actually that thick), energy suspension bushings all the way around, and Kinetix front upper control arms, and rear camber and traction arms. This was only the suspension. The car also had ECU retune, carbonfiber intake, crawford plenum, hyper grounding kit, Nismo headers, crawford high flow cats, Borla cat back exhaust, and stop tech stage 2 brake kit with slotted and drilled rotors, hps pads, steel brake line and motul brake fluid. I think you guys get the point. Bottom line is I need to edge this car a litle closer to the handling of the old ride
Old 05-22-08, 06:42 PM
07350FROST
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it sounds like its never gonna be the ride that you want it to be!! its not a race car, its a Luxury car!!

but it is def very easy to adjust the coilover set up on these cars. the front can be done in less than 3 minutes and the back takes appox. 10 minutes. all the "adjustment" does is adjust the stiffness of the coilover tho. it obviously does nothing for the height adjustment. that takes far more time and is kind-of a pain in the @$%!! I just softened up my coilovers today actually!
Old 05-22-08, 06:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 07350FROST
it sounds like its never gonna be the ride that you want it to be!! its not a race car, its a Luxury car!!

but it is def very easy to adjust the coilover set up on these cars. the front can be done in less than 3 minutes and the back takes appox. 10 minutes. all the "adjustment" does is adjust the stiffness of the coilover tho. it obviously does nothing for the height adjustment. that takes far more time and is kind-of a pain in the @$%!! I just softened up my coilovers today actually!
Thanks for the input. Can you adjust the rear shocks fromthe trunk? I know the front can be set by simply popping the hood and taking an adjustment key and turn the top of the shock tower until desired setting, but the rear I am confused. I have heard you can get to the rear shock towers from the trunk but I am not sure how that works. Your estimation of 10 min for rear adjustment makes me think you can reach the rears from the trunk

ps I kow the GS is not a race car. one of the things I like about the Gs is its luxurious nature, but I need to find a balance ( kind of like a BMW). My old ride would drone form the exhaust and the suspension could rattle your kidneys, so I am aware there is a fine line between street performane and ***** to the wall track performance. I need this ride to meet me in the middle somewhere. Thanks for your help man.I appreciate the input
Old 05-22-08, 10:05 PM
RufRidn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Play with the rear to see how hard it is to access it. The advantage of the box is that you dont have to get out of the car to adjust it. As far as height goes you will most likely have to lift the car to adjust the height. That will take time as you want it to be even. Once you find that perfect ride which I doubt you will, you wont really change the settings.
Old 05-23-08, 12:44 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

it's very easy to access the rear strut tower, just pull back the side lining, get in the trunk and see

adjust the height, you can't do it with the car on the gnd. probably the easiest to take off the wheel to do it

personally i don't see the need of edfc type of device, once i am done, i am done
Old 05-23-08, 09:24 AM
valgs350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 07350FROST

He can get it like a race car or close to it, I put Tein SS with Toms lower brace and Strut but the TEIN SS, wow!!!

I've taken it to Willow Springs race track and canyons and handles great and with the right set of tires, there is no stopping a GS owner from achiving BMW handling!!!!

Last edited by valgs350; 05-23-08 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-24-08, 12:13 AM
808 GS
Rookie

I can't believe you had coilovers on your G35, but yet you don't know how to adjust them.

Also, by the mod list you gave for the G35, I would hardly call that "tuned", no offense.

If you want to really improve the handling on your GS, look into something more hardcore like Zeal or Tom's for suspension parts. Something like Tanabe, to me, would be mediocre at best. I have nothing against you wanting to make your GS more "sport", just look into right parts to make it happen.

I agree with rominl about the remote adjustable dampening. If you have it, you will play with it. If you don't have it, you aren't missing anything. Just set it and forget it. Why would you want your car to ride stiff one day and soft the next?
Old 05-24-08, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by 808 GS
I can't believe you had coilovers on your G35, but yet you don't know how to adjust them.

Also, by the mod list you gave for the G35, I would hardly call that "tuned", no offense.

If you want to really improve the handling on your GS, look into something more hardcore like Zeal or Tom's for suspension parts. Something like Tanabe, to me, would be mediocre at best. I have nothing against you wanting to make your GS more "sport", just look into right parts to make it happen.

I agree with rominl about the remote adjustable dampening. If you have it, you will play with it. If you don't have it, you aren't missing anything. Just set it and forget it. Why would you want your car to ride stiff one day and soft the next?
amen... 808 hit all the points
Old 05-24-08, 01:38 AM
anotherLS
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well he never really had coilovers on the g35 he had adjustable shocks, probably tokico illuminas and tanabe gf210 springs...so he actually never adjusted collars on a coilover...not that hard bro, just hard to get perfectly even...unless you know someone that corner balances?
Old 05-25-08, 03:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

[QUOTE=808 GS;3550025]I can't believe you had coilovers on your G35, but yet you don't know how to adjust them.

I didnt have coilovers before. I had springs with adjustable shocks. Thats why I am asking. And as far as Super Street and Nissan Sport magazines are concerned that ride was tuned enough to grace the pages of their well know magazines. Mods list is alot longer. Thanks for the tips . I will look into the parts you are suggesting.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 05-25-08 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-25-10, 10:13 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

....bringing this one back with a question...

If you have a system, can you access the rear coilovers to adjust dampening from inside the cabin? I was thinking either taking out the rear seats, or the rear deck.
Old 04-25-10, 11:42 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ only way I can do this is from the trunk. I think its a far reach from the rear deck and if you remove the rear seat I would think you need to cut some large holes to reach?

Im sure you could fabricate something custom to make it work.
Old 04-25-10, 11:45 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by passnu2
^ only way I can do this is from the trunk. I think its a far reach from the rear deck and if you remove the rear seat I would think you need to cut some large holes to reach?

Im sure you could fabricate something custom to make it work.
I'll try to remove the seats later....usually, there are "holes" behind the rear seats.
Old 04-25-10, 11:17 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

May I ask why it must be from inside the cabin?
Old 04-26-10, 05:25 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TWong1200
May I ask why it must be from inside the cabin?

...to avoid having to remove this............

Quick Reply: How hard is it to adjust ride height ( front and rear) and rear shocks with coilovers