GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Wheel Alignment ... how often ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 09:33 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Wheel Alignment ... how often ??

I took my vehicle in for service again today. I have an 04 GX with KDDS. Once again, they (Lexus service dealer) tell me that I need a wheel alignment done. I am the only driver for this vehicle. I have not hit any noteworthy chuck holes or anything that would leave me with the idea I need an alignment. So my question is this, ... How often does this truck community have to submit to their vehicles being out of alignment. In past vehicles, I rarely ever had this as an issue, except much later (higher mileage) in the vehicle life. Or is this a caveat or an ill designed suspension system?
Old 04-08-08, 10:19 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wheel alignment should be done as needed. Check for abnormal tire wear or handling.
Old 04-08-08, 11:42 AM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Default My question ....

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wheel alignment should be done as needed. Check for abnormal tire wear or handling.
I am asking how often have other owners been told they need alignment. Have you had to have it done?? If so, more than once during your ownership ... ?? I know there are various factors for such things, but how many others have had to do this more than once ??
Old 04-08-08, 11:57 AM
LexusBob
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine aligned once but that was because of a front rotor replacement under warranty. I have a 2005 with 48K miles on it.
Old 04-08-08, 12:11 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I have only had my wheel alignment done once in all my 30 years of driving and that was on a 5 year old car after many curbs and potholes.
Old 04-10-08, 09:09 AM
Salvator
Driver

I usually get an alignment whenever I get new tires... My tire shop has a computer generated printout that shows the "before" and "after"... Usually something is moderately out of alignment... Not sure if it makes that much of a difference but I figure may as well be straight with the new tires...
Old 04-10-08, 10:26 AM
coldwiz
Driver School Candidate

Toyota truck based vehicles (Toyotas with frames) aren't usually susceptable to the normal things that kill alignment. I would take it to a reputable tire shop for a second opinion if you think there is a problem. Is it pulling to one side or the other? If not it is likely you don't have a problem. Ask to see the report showing which wheel(s) is out of alignment and by how much it is out.
Old 04-10-08, 11:52 AM
alsilverbullet
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 17 Posts

I thought I needed an alignment a few months ago but after taking it to the dealer I was told the alignment was good and just needed a tire totation. I only have 21K on the trunk and about 75-80% rubber on the tires. Normally I would align after installing new tires...........
Old 04-10-08, 12:07 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

alsilverbullet, nice LS. how do you like it?
Old 04-10-08, 12:49 PM
ADVocate
Pole Position

Cool No wobble ... just uneven tire wear

I did not have any kind of usual effect that one would associate with misalignment. No steering wobble or cupping patterns on the tires. There was slightly more wear on the inner side of the tires than the outer. This is about 40K miles into a set of Michellins. The wear was equal on the front and the back, which meant it had been doing that over a period of tire rotations. This is the second time they have told me this, and both times I agreed to the process. Although, this time I had questions about if the alignment was really needed. They told me it was, and could show me a report if I wanted to see it. I would not know how to interpret such a report so I declined. I have had 2 different Range Rovers prior to this and never had repeating alignment problems. This is the first vehicle (other than a Jeep Cherokee years ago) that alignment was even brought up. And now this is twice in a span of 40K miles. A friend of mine thought I should take it to another shop, since the wear pattern may actually be part of the negative camber under the mfg guidelines. I am still under the impression that the dealership is suggesting the alignment when it is not really needed (an expense of $120). I just wanted to see if this was a pattern for this truck, or that I am a victim of a smokesreen.
Sorry for the extensive response ....
Old 04-10-08, 12:59 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

When all else fails, get a second opinion
Old 04-10-08, 02:32 PM
BLKGX470
Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
When all else fails, get a second opinion
I agree
Old 04-20-08, 10:40 AM
leximan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ADVocate
I took my vehicle in for service again today. I have an 04 GX with KDDS. Once again, they (Lexus service dealer) tell me that I need a wheel alignment done. I am the only driver for this vehicle. I have not hit any noteworthy chuck holes or anything that would leave me with the idea I need an alignment. So my question is this, ... How often does this truck community have to submit to their vehicles being out of alignment. In past vehicles, I rarely ever had this as an issue, except much later (higher mileage) in the vehicle life. Or is this a caveat or an ill designed suspension system?

Never needed alignment either in my 17 years of driving.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-20-08 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 06:32 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I don't like how Toyota/Lexus dealers take advantage of their customers with trucks and charge them for a 4 wheel alignment, I understand/know you need to put a machine on each wheel to get the specs of where the wheels are and where they need to be, but the solid rear axle has no adjustment points so why do they charge for a 4 wheel alignment.

Cars with 4 wheel independent suspension need 4 wheel alignment/adjustment