IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Check VSC, check engine and traction control lights keep coming on

Old 04-07-08, 03:08 PM
horrorbiz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Check VSC, check engine and traction control lights keep coming on

Hello all, I am new to this forum but in need of some help...
I have a 2007 IS250 with less then 7,000 miles on it. In the last 3 months, it has been in to the dealership 5 times now (and as i type this it is sitting at the dealership AGAIN for the sixth time!).
The "check vsc, check engine and the traction control light all come on at once. It has come on when i have been on the freeway and on surface streets.
The first time it went into the service department, they checked the gas cap and also replaced an air intake valve. The second time the did the same thing and replaced the oil. The third time they re calibrated the ECM and replaced the PCV valve, and same with the fourth plus they replaced the A/F sensor (all of these things mean nothing to me). The fifth time they said they had someone "higher up" from lexus come out and look at it, and this time they replaced the yaw sensor and promised it wouldn't happen again.
This is getting old and really annoying. Does anyone have any suggestions?! I just dropped it off today and they are going to call me tomorrow... Any advice would greatly be appreciated. Maybe I can tell them how to do their job.. Oh, and if it matters, it has been serviced by Park Place Lexus, Mission Viejo, CA.

Thanks everyone!
Nikki Hororbiz13827@aol.com

Last edited by horrorbiz; 04-07-08 at 03:50 PM.
Old 04-07-08, 03:13 PM
DrShoe
Lead Lap

When life gives you lemons, you asked for a brand new Lexus from the dealership. Your IS250 shouldn't have that much problems for just 7000 miles unless you go off-road with it every weekend.
Old 04-07-08, 03:19 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

possible lemon case.......

if they cant solve the problem this time....you should call the corporate for the issue.....
Old 04-07-08, 03:30 PM
FiveOhNine
Lexus Champion

Keep in mind that you only have a limited amount of time to lemon it (15 mo/15k mi in most places). Don't dawdle getting the process started if you are at that point.

Also, keep in mind, you may have gotten a bad one, but it is extremely rare for Lexus, so don't let the current bad taste in your mouth ruin your taste for the brand, that would be a big mistake.
Old 04-07-08, 03:49 PM
horrorbiz
Driver School Candidate

I will look in to the lemon law... I didn't think it would qualify. I purchased the car in November of 2006 so it might be too late... Thanks
Old 04-07-08, 04:06 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

for CA it is 18 months or 18K miles, which ever comes first....

http://ag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon.php

I would still suggest you to call the lexus corporate...see what they can do for you.....
Old 04-07-08, 04:42 PM
Rxh & IS
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Check VSC

I had this same issue on an '08 IS350. I bought it in Nov with 9 miles on it. The day after I took possession (with 40 miles on it) the VSC and traction control lights came on. Took to the dealership and they couldn't replicate the problem...although a pressure sensor in the driver's side rear tire was not functioning properly. They replaced the sensor and I haven't had any trouble since.

Good luck.
Old 04-07-08, 06:35 PM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Whenever the check engine light comes on, the car records one or more DTCs, diagnostic trouble codes, that should help point to the problem. Can you share with us which code or codes are coming up?
Old 04-07-08, 07:13 PM
horrorbiz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bichon
Whenever the check engine light comes on, the car records one or more DTCs, diagnostic trouble codes, that should help point to the problem. Can you share with us which code or codes are coming up?
I have a couple that i can decipher from the invoices: p172, p0175, po031... most of the paperwork does not list this information though. I decided to let their corporate know and they have contacted the dealership and have promised me better results... they seem to think it has something to do with the fuel pump. will wait and see what their conclusion is this time
Old 04-08-08, 04:59 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by horrorbiz
I have a couple that i can decipher from the invoices: p172, p0175, po031... most of the paperwork does not list this information though. I decided to let their corporate know and they have contacted the dealership and have promised me better results... they seem to think it has something to do with the fuel pump. will wait and see what their conclusion is this time
The first two codes indicate a rich condition. Normally a problem with the MAF sensor or a vacuum leak. The third indicates an oxygen sensor problem.
Old 04-08-08, 07:23 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by horrorbiz
I had the P0172 come up on mine using a scanner tool, dealership said they reprogrammed the ECU and changed the oil. Anyone have any idea what they could have reprogrammed the ECU to? Looking at my gas mileage it seems to be a bit lower then it used to be. Weird thing is that when I used the scanner I got only one code, on my dealership invoice it also showed the P0175. When I asked the service advisor what the problem was he wouldnt say, just said they reprogrammed the ECU and changed the oil.
Old 04-08-08, 07:55 AM
Bichon
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BounceNY
I had the P0172 come up on mine using a scanner tool, dealership said they reprogrammed the ECU and changed the oil. Anyone have any idea what they could have reprogrammed the ECU to?
Probably flashed a more recent release from Lexus. The engine ECU has three dimensional timing and fuel control maps which Lexus may revise over time.
Old 04-08-08, 08:18 AM
BounceNY
Lexus Test Driver

Probably flashed a more recent release from Lexus. The engine ECU has three dimensional timing and fuel control maps which Lexus may revise over time.
Gotcha, thanks for the response!
Old 04-12-08, 06:00 PM
horrorbiz
Driver School Candidate

Unhappy

The first two codes indicate a rich condition. Normally a problem with the MAF sensor or a vacuum leak. The third indicates an oxygen sensor problem.
I finally got a tech out by calling Lexus Customer support. They said fuel was present in the oil. They did an oil change and said the oil filter quote reeked of gasoline. I had the oil filter changed march 17th and this was on April 9th. They blamed this on the fact that I take "short trips" under 2 miles "cold trips" they called it. The shortest trip i take is to work, and i only go to work once a day, btw. From start-up to arrival at work, ranges from 8-12 minutes depending on traffic its about a 1and 1/2 mile drive with 4 intersection lights. Once I start the car I always sit in my car for about a minute before driving off. I live in South Orange County CA and its never cold when i leave for work. All other trips i take are longer then that. Does this sound like it should be happening? Lexus is trying to take no blame here and i just want the problem to go away! I drove my old car for 7 years with the same driving habits and it had no problems. -rpms stay at around 750-800 in park if that helps. When i arrive to my destination the needle is always in the middle of the cold hot thingy (sorry dont know what its called)
any help / advice? Thanks!

Last edited by horrorbiz; 04-12-08 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-03-08, 12:07 AM
MoLexus
Lexus Test Driver

This just happened to me yesterday but the difference was my car started shaking and then the lights came on. When I hit the gas it was as if the car lost 100hp, no joke then I turned it off and back on and it was fine. Any advice?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check VSC, check engine and traction control lights keep coming on