RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

Rear Marker Light - How to Remove/Re-install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-08, 11:36 AM
PhxWilsons
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear Marker Light - How to Remove/Re-install

2005 RX330

The passanger-side rear marker light (bottom corner of bumper) is broken . I would like to replace it myself, but can't figure out how to remove it. By looking from underneath the car, it appears the assembly is bolted on, but the nut is in an impossible to reach place, even using socket extensions and a universal joint.

Other than removing the rear bumper cover, does anyone know how to remove the entire rear marker light assembly? Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by PhxWilsons; 02-22-08 at 11:39 AM. Reason: forgot model
Old 02-22-08, 04:51 PM
triplecore
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine replaced at the dealer. It is really expensive because the service advisor said its hard to get to. I know for sure that the rear bumper must come off. the total came $115. 2.50 for the bulb lol. sorry i couldnt be of better assistance. I have the service invoice if that helps
Old 02-22-08, 05:04 PM
tjain
Driver

Originally Posted by integra144
I had mine replaced at the dealer. It is really expensive because the service advisor said its hard to get to. I know for sure that the rear bumper must come off. the total came $115. 2.50 for the bulb lol. sorry i couldnt be of better assistance. I have the service invoice if that helps
That is sick, Probably the bulb costs less than $5,

Manufacturer's including Lexus have figured a way to make more money after selling a vehicle. They have made things so complex, you need to take the Bumper off to replace a marker bulb.
Old 02-22-08, 06:29 PM
PhxWilsons
Driver School Candidate

Aww Man, I was really hoping I was looking at this wrong! The bumper has to come off to change a f***ing lightbulb! Was the assembly the first damned thing down the assembly line?
Old 02-23-08, 12:46 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats nothing to uncommon. harder and harder to do anything yourself
Old 02-23-08, 05:46 PM
sama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PhxWilsons
Aww Man, I was really hoping I was looking at this wrong! The bumper has to come off to change a f***ing lightbulb! Was the assembly the first damned thing down the assembly line?
Here you go.. Good Luck , let us know how it goes.
Attached Files
File Type: doc
RearSideMarkerLight.doc (276.5 KB, 14473 views)
Old 02-24-08, 09:05 AM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Sama delivers again! Thanks!
Old 02-24-08, 07:57 PM
PhxWilsons
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sama
Here you go.. Good Luck , let us know how it goes.

Sama, Thank you - I'll give it a try, as soon as the replacement arrives.

Are you willing to share whatever manual that came from?
Old 02-25-08, 08:28 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

No need to take the bumper cover off. After reading this thread I went to the garage, removed and re-intalled the light just to see if it is possible. Took me 15 minutes. The bolt was removed with a rachet, long extention, U-joint and the 10m socket. Wiggling the light assembly out of there was the toughest part, but still it took me only about 3 minutes.
Old 02-26-08, 06:44 AM
mandyfig

U-Joint....please explain? Thanks for doing this, we all feel better.
Old 02-26-08, 10:07 PM
arnieosp
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, how can I explain the U-joint... The little device that you snap on betwen the extention and the socket, so you can turn the bolt at an angle.
Old 02-26-08, 10:51 PM
ho0n
Pole Position

The Universal Joint--it looks like two U's hinged together, and flops around when you shake it.
Old 03-11-08, 12:45 PM
ai2380
Driver School Candidate

Smile You don't have to remove the bumper!

I had to replace the entire assembly. It was a pain to figure our, but possible. Here's what I did:

1. remove the bolt on the corner of the bumber near the tire well
2. take off the plastic bolt under the bumper near the opening where you gain access to the light from behind the bumper
3. carefully pull the top of the fender away from the wheel well

With those three steps done, you can get a little more room to use a 10mm socket to remove the screw holding the entire assembly in place.

If you just need to switch the light bulb out, you should be able to access the plug with 1-3 done. It twists off of the main assembly of the marker light for relatively easy access.
Old 03-12-10, 09:06 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by ai2380
I had to replace the entire assembly. It was a pain to figure our, but possible. Here's what I did:

1. remove the bolt on the corner of the bumber near the tire well
2. take off the plastic bolt under the bumper near the opening where you gain access to the light from behind the bumper
3. carefully pull the top of the fender away from the wheel well

With those three steps done, you can get a little more room to use a 10mm socket to remove the screw holding the entire assembly in place.

If you just need to switch the light bulb out, you should be able to access the plug with 1-3 done. It twists off of the main assembly of the marker light for relatively easy access.
Let's bump this one. This is a good technique for those who have busted rear markers.
Old 12-26-11, 08:06 PM
owenshady
Driver School Candidate

So my driver side rear bumper light went out on me, I tried to get the whole assembly out it was pain in the butt to get to the bolt, however during the process I was able to twist off the bulb and changed it just like any other bulb. I didn't have to jack up the car or anything like that, the whole thing probably took me not even 10 min. On the note of removing the light cover I was able to put the socket on the bolt but since there weren't a lot of room to work with I had a very hard time turning the ranch.

Quick Reply: Rear Marker Light - How to Remove/Re-install