GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Best place to get replacement master key?

Old 02-11-08, 06:47 PM
MeTrO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best place to get replacement master key?

Well, they are both gone. Does anyone have a good price for complete master keys?

It is an '04, so I know I will have to get the immobilizer re-programmed.

Thanks
Old 02-12-08, 05:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

You you dont have any master keys, the dealer is your best bet.
Old 02-12-08, 06:43 AM
kphu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, how did you lose both keys?
Old 02-12-08, 09:19 PM
MeTrO
Driver

I bought it with only one key....and lost that one.

Thank goodness for the valet key!
Old 02-13-08, 07:59 AM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

If you lost both master keys, I believe the only way to get new ones is to do the ECU replacement thing. Toyota/lexus offer a one-time replacement (keys are matched to the ECU) whereby they provide the parts and you pay the labor. My LX only came w/ 1 master key. First thing I did was to buy a second master from the dealer. Cost is about $200 + 50 for programming. And yes, my wife and I were dismayed to have to shell out $250 for a second master right after spending that much money on the CPO LX. The salesman never mentioned it had only 1 master key, and said lexus is only obligated to provide two keys w/ any CPO vehicle. We assumed that any car you buy from the lexus/toyota dealer would come w/ the 2 master keys and 1 valet. Had we known otherwise before closing the deal, we would have made that a condition on the purchase.
Old 02-14-08, 04:23 PM
munki3b0i
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this place offer keys a good price, http://www.lexus-parts.com/
Old 02-20-08, 01:23 PM
Chexation
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MeTrO
Does anyone have a good price for complete master keys?
It is an '04, so I know I will have to get the immobilizer re-programmed.
I bought my GX470 with only one Master Key. I bought an additional one from SpareCarKeys.com: http://www.sparecarkeys.com

Their phone number is: 866-350-4199

The cost for the master key: $120 + $6 shipping

There is a possibility that you may need to have Lexus program it. My dealer charged $25. Sometimes, you can do it yourself, but it didn't work for me.

The key is as good as a new one from Lexus except it doesn't have the gold plating "L" on the outside.
Old 02-21-08, 10:14 AM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chexation
I bought my GX470 with only one Master Key. I bought an additional one from SpareCarKeys.com: http://www.sparecarkeys.com

Their phone number is: 866-350-4199

The cost for the master key: $120 + $6 shipping

There is a possibility that you may need to have Lexus program it. My dealer charged $25. Sometimes, you can do it yourself, but it didn't work for me.

The key is as good as a new one from Lexus except it doesn't have the gold plating "L" on the outside.

I paid $50.00 for my "replacement key with a GOLD LOGO from EBAY. It is a BLANK key uncut. Brought it over to the LOCKSMITH and he CUT the key for me for $30.00. The blank key came with programing instructions so I was able to program all three buttons unlock, lock and panic. Everything worked except for the IGNITION as that is the ANTI-theft, Electronic starter kill. I brought the GX back to dealership and told them my key stopped working. They re-flashed the "replacement" key no charge.

Here is the ebay store that I got the blank key from (midwest):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2003-...spagenameZWDVW

Bottom line there are 3 things you'll need to get the key 100% working with GX:

1. Key needs to be "CUT" locksmith with the correct pattern/teeth
2. Programmed - Buttons to function with your car, unlock,lock, panic - instructions included
3. KEY FOB - LINKED to the ECU kill start - LEXUS dealer only (that I'm aware of...)

Good Luck!

-Alex
Old 02-21-08, 03:23 PM
BobsGX
Racer

[QUOTE=lonewolf69;3296794]. Everything worked except for the IGNITION as that is the ANTI-theft, Electronic starter kill. I brought the GX back to dealership and told them my key stopped working. They re-flashed the "replacement" key no charge.

Bottom line there are 3 things you'll need to get the key 100% working with GX:

1. Key needs to be "CUT" locksmith with the correct pattern/teeth
2. Programmed - Buttons to function with your car, unlock,lock, panic - instructions included
3. KEY FOB - LINKED to the ECU kill start - LEXUS dealer only (that I'm aware of...)

Good Luck!

I guarantee if you told the dealership that it was a new replacement key, they would have charged you a minimum of 1 hour labor.
Old 02-21-08, 03:35 PM
lonewolf69
Pole Position

Originally Posted by BobsGX
I guarantee if you told the dealership that it was a new replacement key, they would have charged you a minimum of 1 hour labor.
Agreed!

Which is why I told them, "Gee, I don't know what happened, but my wife pulled the spare out from the bottom of the drawer the other day and everything worked except the ignition...?"

Service replied... "Don't worry sir, it happens once in a blue, we'll take care of this for you..." 15 minutes later, the key was re-programmed, at no additional charge.

Also, please be aware that the ECU lock can hold up to 5 keys, so as soon as you "re-program" the 6th key, the 1st key will stop working, 7th key, and the 2nd key will stop. So at any given time you will only have 5 working keys. I gave them ALL of the keys, including the Valet, Credit Card "emergency" and original master key because I didn't want to run the risk of having them "fixing" the replacement key only to KNOCK out one of my existing keys. So all in all everything worked out fine...
Old 02-02-15, 08:01 AM
StaceyKell
Driver School Candidate

Default HELP PLEASE! Need to REPLACE KEYS LOST MASTER & im in BELIZE, Central america!

Can anyone advise me how to get a new set keys from all the way in BELIZE? I lost my keys this weekend. Can i require my car to start it without the keys in the interim? its a 1994 ES300 Lexus.. Please advise! Thanks!
Old 02-11-15, 10:19 AM
chicagojl
Driver School Candidate

Default Purchase Key Shell case

There is a company AutoTransponder.com that ofeers a key shell for those who just have a broken shell and don't want to buy a new key. You just remove the electronics from the broken key and insert it into the new key shell and you are good to go.

If you do have your Key Code, you give it to them and they laser cut a new key for $29.95 and had it back to me in less than a week.
Old 03-26-15, 05:27 PM
hdvipor
Driver School Candidate

Default New Master Key for less

You can Buy a re-manufactured OEM lexus master key on ebay from allkeyless for under $40 including shipping. You do have to get it cut and programmed though.
Old 07-10-15, 06:08 PM
rodeo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by StaceyKell
Can anyone advise me how to get a new set keys from all the way in BELIZE? I lost my keys this weekend. Can i require my car to start it without the keys in the interim? its a 1994 ES300 Lexus.. Please advise! Thanks!
Hi Stacey , how did you get on with this. I'm in the middle of the pacific with no dealers or access to key cutting, so hoping that I can go back to my desk in the states to provide me a new one and post it ( with reformatting instructions)
Old 07-11-15, 05:10 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

My L parts will cut the blade for you with a copy of the registration scanned and sent to them. Great prices also with CL5 discount code

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best place to get replacement master key?