LX - 1st and 2nd Gen (1996-2007) Post here for topics related to the LX470 or LX450

Nakamichi 6 CD in dash issues

Old 06-17-02, 04:23 PM
GS450h FTL
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Nakamichi 6 CD in dash issues

I just got my '99 LX470 and everything works perfect except for the cd changer. First the CD's would sometimes load then sometimes not. Now all it does is nothing, it shows all 6 cd's are loaded(they are not) wont eject wont load, gives err3.

ARRRRRGGGG.

Lexus wants $500 to put in a reconditioned with a year warranty, does anyone know anything about these systems? where to get them repaired outside of Lexus. I have a friend who bought a '98 LX and it has the same problem. I love this truck but I need my music.

Thanks
Old 06-18-02, 06:44 AM
LX470Mann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ATL, Me and a few other people on this board have had the same problems with our CD changers. Lexus has changed our changers at no charge. Is your truck still under warranty?? I would try a different dealership or call Lexus customer satisfaction. Here is a link to the earlier thread:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=28371
Good luck...
Old 06-20-02, 07:59 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nakamichi LX Head Unit Problem

The objective of Lexus’ audio exchange program is to provide customers with a convenient service experience when faced with audio-related concerns and to provide our dealers with an efficient, reliable system for answering those customer concerns. Utilization of a remanufactured exchange parts system results in a lower cost of ownership for customers while maintaining Lexus’ quality standards.

When repairs are required to the following audio components dealers remove the defective components and replace them with remanufactured ones.

Head units
Amplifiers
DAC units
CD changers
Each audio exchange component is inspected, cleaned and restored to original equipment specifications. All out-of-specification components are replaced with new components, and if any component upgrades or improvements are applicable, those are also incorporated.

Lexus Audio Suppliers

Pioneer, Nakamichi*, Panasonic, Mark Levinson, and Fujitsu Ten supply Lexus audio system components.

*Exchange / Repair Service provided by Pioneer

About the Exchange Core Return Requirements

After replacing a defective audio unit with the exchange unit, the defective core is returned by the dealer to the applicable manufacturer’s exchange center within 30 days of the date the exchange request was made. If after 60 days a unit is still not returned the dealer is charged the dealer cost of a new unit. These charges are not reversible.

Warranty Terms

Each audio unit is warranted by Lexus under the terms of the Lexus New Vehicle Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for a period of four years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. The four-years/50,000 mile warranty period begins on the date the vehicle is sold to the first purchaser or the date it is first put into service as a demonstrator vehicle.

Each audio exchange unit is covered by a 12 month/unlimited mileage service part warranty or the remainder of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty applicable to the vehicle in which it is installed, whichever provides the greater amount of coverage.

Any unit that has been subjected to abuse by the customer or damaged by outside materials or forces is not warrantable.

Out-of-Warranty Exchange Program

The audio exchange program and procedures also apply to out-of-warranty exchanges with the one major difference that there is a charge to the dealer for the units.

Your head unit is actually manufactured by Fujitsu Ten (#86120-60380) but operates on a Nakamichi System. Talk to your dealer about the price then possibly negotiate sending your unit directly to Fujitsu Ten ( though, you will be out of a radio for about 4 weeks).
Old 06-29-02, 03:43 PM
Seadee456
Driver

My changer is now taking a long time to eject...does this mean its going to break soon? It is a 2000 model so its still under warranty.
Old 02-26-06, 11:19 AM
harrylexus
Driver School Candidate

Default 1999 lx 470 6cd changer problems

I have a 1999 lx470 cd player that is jammed. It has 6 cd's inside and when i press play it says "ERR3". I cannot eject any of the cd's in the player. Does anyone have any advice on how i can fix this problem?
Old 02-28-06, 04:34 PM
idsrvit
Driver

Default cd player issues

I can give a suggestion to get the cd's out, but cannot guarantee it will work. When the cd's jammed in my 99, the guy I bought it from told me to "swipe" a credit card in the cd slot back and forth while pushing the eject button. All of the sudden, the cd will catch and eject.
This may get your cd's out, but it will no doubt continue to happen. This problem has been an issue for quite some time and it is not a cheap fix, most dealers charge about $500 and you dont get your original back..you get a refurb. Once upon a time, there was a contact within this site that fixed them I think for about half that. I will try to find it for you and post later.

My 2 cents...put the $ into a good aftermarket unit in your 99....at least you can hook yourself up with nav and/or dvd too.
Old 03-03-06, 04:17 AM
Bobhgd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gx470atl
I just got my '99 LX470 and everything works perfect except for the cd changer. First the CD's would sometimes load then sometimes not. Now all it does is nothing, it shows all 6 cd's are loaded(they are not) wont eject wont load, gives err3.

ARRRRRGGGG.

Lexus wants $500 to put in a reconditioned with a year warranty, does anyone know anything about these systems? where to get them repaired outside of Lexus. I have a friend who bought a '98 LX and it has the same problem. I love this truck but I need my music.

Thanks
My '99 had the Nakamichi unit replaced twice under warranty, due to CD changer problems. Evidently, there were problems with the early units.

I'm on the third warranty-replaced unit now, no problems since replacement near the end of the warranty term. Now 91k+ miles on vehicle.

But it is no longer covered by warranty. If it craps out again I'm going to replace it with a good aftermarket single-CD head unit and separate amp. CD changers are known for having more problems than single disc players, and I am not too fond of the CD changer idea anyway - never can remember what CDs are loaded, and it takes longer to cycle through them than it would take me to swap CDs by hand in a single disc player.
Old 03-07-06, 07:07 PM
thenod
Driver

I have the same problem in my 99 LX. It's out of warranty now. I've had this problem for awhile too. I just didn't know that it was a major problem unitl now. That sucks! I guess I'm buying a new aftermarket one now unless anyone has some advice on how to get it fixed on an out of warranty vehicle. I read the previous posts and it seems like $500. Forget it!
Old 03-08-06, 04:17 AM
idsrvit
Driver

Default stuck cds

Sorry guys...I thought maybe I had saved the info of the guy that will fix them for less than dealer cost... You may try checking with CL member "LexusAudio" He is very good with Lexus/Pioneer equipment and may be able to fix it or at least point you in the right direction.
I personally went with the Pioneer AVHP-7500 and love it. Although..after a year my flip out motor went out on me...at least it died with the screen in the out position so I can still watch dvd's or the tv tuner I am connected to XM satellite radio (head unit is XM ready) but none of this matters...my kids usually monopolize what is on anyhow. Good luck