RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

how to change fuel filter on lexus rx300

Old 02-07-08, 11:33 AM
desantura
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to change fuel filter on lexus rx300

hello i got lexus rx300 milege is 106000 so think the fuel filter needs to be change. when i was buying that. thay told me that the filter is inside the tunk. so to change the filter sould i take off the tank or they have some easier way to change? thank you
Old 02-07-08, 12:27 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I would not think you need to do that, I have 148k miles and have never changed the filter. It can be assessed by removing the rear seat. Lex Mex on this site was doing pictures. but unless the car has been in a third world country I dont think I would bother, unless you are having problems or someone tampered with your fuel tank.
Old 02-07-08, 12:28 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 159 Likes on 136 Posts

Avoid it, you have what I call magic gas in the United States, nice and clean, good combustion.

At some point in the future, not now, I am going to do this. Likely when I re-enter the U.S. since the gas here frankly sucks. After blowing one pre-cat on the stuff, I can only imagine the second time I will see the fuel filter changed again. Last time it was at a Lexus dealer years ago and it was the worst filter they had ever seen, loaded with crud. Generally, they see not much, and usually do a fuel filter change out only when the customer absolutely demands it, thank god I did.

To do it, you have to remove the driver's side rear seat and there is an access hole, but I can tell you that from the instructions alone, this is a major PITA.

What I would recommend is using some Redline Fuel System Cleaner. That seemed to get my little RX much happier and I don't seem to get the P0171 errors that I used to get only a few months ago. I used to get them because I was ramming an obscene amount of air (still am) into my engine with one of my air intake adaptations and the fuel system obviously couldn't keep up as much, but would I have been noticing is that almost within a day of using that product, the errors are still there but MUCH fewer. I used to have a P0171 lean error everyday, but now rarely, maybe once a week.
Old 02-08-08, 12:13 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Don't do it. You don't need it.
Old 02-08-08, 06:14 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I think with these fuel systems(wich I believe they should have external filter)You really dont need to change unless the pump goes bad.
Old 02-08-08, 09:14 AM
acerx300
Driver School Candidate

Funny how maintenance items recommendations vary widely from manufacturers. I just replaced my wife's '02 Bmw 325 CiC fuel filter w/ only 68k miles on it. And it's recommended by most Bimmer heads enthusiasts every 60k miles. Luckily it's a relatively simple procedure on these cars.
Old 02-08-08, 04:40 PM
salimshah

Received 992 Likes on 897 Posts

Bmw uses in line filter. Any thing that enter the pipe from the tank clogs up the filter.

The in-tank filter prevents things getting in the pipe. As fuel sloshes around in the tank the filter gets surface cleaning.

Salim
Old 02-29-08, 01:08 PM
SLPR
Driver School Candidate

Do you guys happen to know the part number of the RX 300 filter or a good place to buy one? Thanks!
Old 02-29-08, 01:29 PM
SLPR
Driver School Candidate

Nevermind, just found it. Here is the link if anybody is interested:
http://www.***************/store/?N=10...656+11921+9293
Old 02-29-08, 05:25 PM
gsrthomas
Lexus Champion

I'm not going to change it until my fuel pump goes. No way I'm going to drop the tank and replace a filter. I have 110k miles on my car.
Old 05-25-10, 07:42 PM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced the fuel filter in my RX, I thought it was pretty easy. But I have replaced over about 5-7 fuel filters that were in the tank before. The only plus about the RX, is the access hole on top for the pump. It makes it a lot easier than dropping the tank. I did that once to help a friend, never again. I will only help out with the access from the top.
Old 05-25-10, 09:13 PM
code58
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

A lot, if not most in tank FP's have a filter sack incorporated into them. Strangely, I don't remember reading of anyone else having to replace one. My DIL's '99Rx has 140K + mi. on it and the original filter with no problems at all. At least Lexus was thinking with their head when they made the underseat access. Hope you didn't change those others while they were full of fuel! Just poke a hole in the bottom corner of the tank to drain it and then put a screw in the hole when you're done. JK JK JK
Old 05-25-10, 11:17 PM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I replaced the fuel filter in my RX, I thought it was pretty easy. But I have replaced over about 5-7 fuel filters that were in the tank before. The only plus about the RX, is the access hole on top for the pump. It makes it a lot easier than dropping the tank. I did that once to help a friend, never again. I will only help out with the access from the top.
I too would like to know what drove you to replace it. What was the condition and how many miles? Inquiring minds want to know.

Salim
Old 05-26-10, 05:58 AM
JohnLX300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am the second owner of my RX. Not knowing how the original owner kept up with it, drove me to replace it. I had 95k when I replaced it. Any yea it looked brand spankin' new.
Old 05-26-10, 07:58 AM
salimshah

Originally Posted by JohnLX300
I am the second owner of my RX. Not knowing how the original owner kept up with it, drove me to replace it. I had 95k when I replaced it. Any yea it looked brand spankin' new.
I am not surprised. The inline fuel filters need replacement as any thing that is pumped will be trapped there (at least that is the theory). The in tank filters remain clean due to sloshing in the tank and the junk forms sediment in the tank.

Tank rust and quality of fuel are the main reasons for the junk in the tank. Out side of US, I have seen places where the gas station owners would stop selling gas for hours after truck load of gas is brought in [fresh gas in the underground tanks, stirs up the junk which would interfere with their pumping equipment .... I really doubt that the welfare of the motorists was ever in their mind ]

Salim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how to change fuel filter on lexus rx300