GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

"Check VSC" warning???

Old 02-06-08, 05:58 AM
LarryF
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Check VSC" warning???

About a month ago the "Check VSC" warning came on in my 2006 GS300 AWD. This happened after the car was in the garage all night and when I started the car in the morning. The car was at the dealer for 2 days and the saved codes showed multiple errors for the evap system, but they couldn't find anything specifically wrong and the light warning went off after all the systems checked out. A week later the warning came on again, and the codes indicated incorrect purge flow and a gross leak. After 3 days in the shop they decided that the problem was caused by a faulty gas cap, which was replaced. You guessed it! A week later the warning came on AGAIN! I'm taking the car to the shop on Thursday. Has anyone else had this problem, or does anyone have any idea what may be causing it? I'm really getting tired of driving my car 40 miles to the dealer just to have the warning show up again in another week! THANKS!
Old 02-06-08, 05:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Mine did the same crap on monday right after I picked up a friend. kind of embarrassing. I took it to the deaker and they asked if I had recently put gas in the tank. I said yes, and they told me it was from the gas cap. They tightened the cap, reset the code ( lean motor code) and I was out the door in 10-15 min. I wish you luck. appaently the GS is very very sensitive
Old 02-06-08, 08:52 PM
MaxMax256
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys, I had the same thing a couple times and Lexus replaced the gas cap. They said it had a hair line crack on it that was keeping it from keeping a vacuum seal. I haven't had it since and it has been 3 weeks.
Old 02-06-08, 09:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

If it happens again I will ask for a new gas cap
Old 02-07-08, 01:34 AM
lexusgs408
Lead Lap

wow thanks for the info and tips........
Old 02-07-08, 06:49 AM
BmoreGS4
Pole Position

I had the same issue I found that it causes so many codes that often the dealership may just clear the code and send you on your way. I finally found a great service consultant who did EVERYTHING until he made sure it wouldn't happen again.

here is what was done 2 months ago and never happened again to me, after happening 3x's in the 3 weeks after I bought my car...

-Leaks detected @ the vacum switching valve and gas cap replaced
-Replaced PCV Valve and calibrated

1 thing you should never take for an answer is your gas cap is loose, even if you 4got tell them u didn't, so they can thouroughly check your vehicle...The gas cap is often a cop out IMO...
Old 05-31-08, 09:14 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Is this a coincidence or what??

I replaced my OEM HIDs with xenon depot 6000k bulbs today. After checking the basic functionality all seemed good. 20 minutes later I am driving the car (it is daytime so the lights were not on) and Check VSC warning comes on.

So could this be related to replacing the bulbs?
Old 06-01-08, 07:38 AM
1989Lexus
Lexus Test Driver

i changed my air filter, and the check VSC light came on.. i reset the battery and it was gone.
Old 06-01-08, 09:42 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TXprfrmnce

I replaced my OEM HIDs with xenon depot 6000k bulbs today. After checking the basic functionality all seemed good. 20 minutes later I am driving the car (it is daytime so the lights were not on) and Check VSC warning comes on.

Nope, unless you broke something or forgot to plug something back in.

Originally Posted by 1989Lexus
i changed my air filter, and the check VSC light came on.. i reset the battery and it was gone.
That usually happens because the sensor on the intake arm might not have adjust as quick as it use to with the stock filter. Stuff like this happens to many different cars.
Old 06-01-08, 02:00 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TXprfrmnce

Yes this can be the issue. Your car is constantly in communication even when you do not have the car on. If you unplugged the mass airflow sensor when you removed the airbox to access the HID light. If the car was running its check at this time you will have the check VSC light on the dash. It will self rest it self and you have nothing to worry about. I know this as my car did the same while I was working on another part of the car.

If you had just put gas in then it could be similar to what the others have posted but it sounds like what I posted above is what happened!
Old 06-01-08, 09:45 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

Thanks guys. I am hoping it is the sensor on the air filter - - as you mentioned I had to disassemble in order to access HIDs. Unfortunately I drove my car straight to the body shop and left it for the weekend and Monday. I am having it debadged. Just removing the written "LEXUS" and the "GS350" and having the holes patched and trunk insert repainted. I will pick it up late Monday and hope that the VSC warning is gone.
Old 06-09-08, 06:25 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got the VSC light too, life is wonderful.
Old 06-10-08, 08:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

There is a warning on my gas cap that states if you dont tighten the cap to 1 click the vsc light will come on.
Old 12-07-08, 01:40 PM
jrhjrh12
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation VSC Warning

My VSC warning came on. The car spent 3 weeks at the dealership being fixed. They replaced the spring in valve #5, the oxygen sensors, the pcv valve(?) and 2 other parts. I picked it up on Friday morning, drove it Friday and Saturday and this morning when I started it the VSC warning came on again. I hope this is not going to be another 3 week wait. Should I ask for a new gas cap? I keep hearing that is one reason the VSC warning goes on. Are there any other items that I can ask the dealership to look at? I know they will hook it up to their machine and get the read outs but?????
Old 12-08-08, 12:23 AM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I just posted my tale in this parallel thread. I fixed my gas cap VSC problem myself. You might find it useful. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/4062449-post8.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: "Check VSC" warning???