GX - 1st Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

Accidentally Drained Transmission Fluid While Changing Oil!!!! 2007 Gx470

Old 01-27-08, 03:52 PM
Bmore26
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Accidentally Drained Transmission Fluid While Changing Oil!!!! 2007 Gx470

I accidentally drained the transmission fluid in my wifes 2007 GX470. I normally take our vehicles to lexus but figured id save some money and do it myself. Her truck only has 15K miles currently. The problem i am having right now is that her truck does not have a transmission dipstick, filler cap, etc. I have no way to figure out how to replace the fluid in her truck. My wife proceeded to drive 5 miles on the truck (2.5 one way, 2,5 back) and then came home. She told me it ran terrible and i knoew what i did wrong. Plus, i put 5.5qts of oil into the engine which already had bad engine oil in it. Well, i redrained the correct fluid this time, changed the oil filter again and engine is fine. But i dont know what to do about the transmission fluid. Can someone assist me please and let me know whether i possibly damaged the vehicle and or voided the warranty on the truck.

thanks,

ron
Old 01-27-08, 05:17 PM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fill port should be on the tranny itself if there is no dipstick. take it to a shop and have them do it.
Old 01-27-08, 05:22 PM
Bmore26
Rookie

Looked on both sides of the tranny, no fill port or nothing. The problem with taking it anther shop to do it is that i cant drive it. Ill have to tow it there. Overall, making the cost of doing this job, the same as it would have cost me to take it to Lexus and have them do it. Lesson learned!!!!!!
Old 01-27-08, 05:23 PM
brickauto
Driver

You didn't check your engine oil level after your oil change?

The 2007 transmission should have a fill plug similar to a 2004 that uses the WS "lifetime" ATF. (Sorry for the bad scan, it's a hefty manual to hold on the scanner)

Old 01-27-08, 05:49 PM
Bmore26
Rookie

Wow, thanks so much for the scanned pics. I am going into the garage to check now.

I was having a really bad brainfreeze. I even told myself as the transmission fluid was draining that it looked pretty clear and there was not alot of it. I did check the dipstick after i was done and again totally missed it. I have had the flu all week and just missed it. (pretty big mistake with a $60K truck i know!!!!)

Now, in the pictures above, on the tranny pan there are 2 bolts, the drain plug and one with a allen wrench that has the word "check" writtein on it. Is this the overflow??? Also, if i dont have a nice angled oil filler like the one pictured, how do i get the fluid in there???

thanks
Old 01-27-08, 07:37 PM
brickauto
Driver

Firstly I have a 2003, but got the 2004 manual so I have not seen a >2004 oil pan physically but I believe the allen plug with the "check" word on it IS the overflow plug.

The technique here is to remove the overflow plug and fill the transmission till it overflows out, then you'll know the tranny is filled.

Here's a description of the overflow plug

You can try to get a pump for attaching to quart bottles such as this http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=278
Old 01-27-08, 09:06 PM
schan1w
Driver

Here's the page from the FSM on how to refill the transmission. You'll need to go to a Toyota or Lexus dealer to get the Toyota WS transmission fluid. According to the FSM, you drained out 1.4 qts out of 5.6 in the system. You probably did a little damage (just guessing here, you may or may not have), but I'm sure no one would know about this to void your warranty. Good luck and let us know how you fixed it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2.pdf (40.2 KB, 1889 views)
Old 01-27-08, 09:08 PM
schan1w
Driver

By the way, an oil and filter change takes 6.5 qt of oil, not 5.5 qt.
Old 01-28-08, 03:02 PM
Bmore26
Rookie

Angry

Well guys, just wanted to say thanks for the information. I have learned alot on this mission to simply change the oil. A very expensive lesson indeed!!!! Your information was exact and right on but once i looked under the truck i had my vehicle towed to Lexus and had them put the tranny fluid back in. I was told that on 2006- models and up need to have exact amounts of fluid put into the system. This is all controlled by computers and not evne the "overflow valve" acurately can tell you this, even if you follow the directions. Considering this is a brand new truck with only 15K miles on it, i figured id let the pros do it.

1st attempt $21.50 including oil filter (drained wrong fluid)

2nd attempt $21.50 including filter (did it right this time)

3rd attempt $238.00 (towing to lexus, 2 hours labor, 5 qts tranny fluid)

Paying more for my mistake than simply taking to lexus in the 1st place for the scheduled service "PRICELESS"

I have only been a member on this site for over a year now, and i get more things answered here, than i do by calling the dealerships. Thanks to everyone who helped me try to solve my problem.

Ron
Old 01-28-08, 05:11 PM
19psi
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what a story! well, now you will never forget which one is the correct drain plug!
Old 01-28-08, 06:41 PM
onepointon
Intermediate

Received 150 Likes on 49 Posts

Im glad you took it to Lexus. I wish I would of seen this thread earlier. Haha, I was reading this thread thinking "no, no no.. ".

If you ever have a question about stuff like this, feel free to PM me and I will usually respond the same day. That goes for any of you guys that feel the need for urgent help info like this.

To check the fluid level in your GX, you need a scan tool to monitor the temp. of the transmission fluid. Once the fluid gets a certain temp, then you remove the drain plug. It is different than the 03 GX.

You can read this thread for more information, it applies to your 2007 GX470. Its not the same transmission, but it is the same design as far as fluid type/levels/maintaince goes.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=331249

Glad no damages were done.
Old 09-20-16, 03:06 PM
robertlano
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2007 GX470 Trans fluid change

I've been a DIY guy for 50 years now. Trained at Pontiac GM school in 67. Well my 1st attempt to "check " the tranny fluid made me crazy....NO dipstick as you all know. I bought my 2007 Lexus in Jan 2012with 102,200 miles on it. So proceeded to do all maint I could. This has been a dilemma because there's no such thing as a lifetime anything let alone oil!
I was pushed into retirement early I bought this car as my "last car" ever or until I'm in my 80's being 66 now. So I had a local dealer change just the 2 or 3 quarts in the tranny pan in 2012. Well last week I went to Jiffy Lube, to grease all the driveshaft "Zirks" as that's an issue with this Lexus, known as the "Thump Clunk " when you come to a stop. Anyway they changed my entire Trans fluid for $175. Lexus wants over $400. They did it by draining the first 3 qts out of the pan and running the car changing gears and draining again.
They did this until they "replaced" 11qts. It's probably in my head but the car seems to shift more quietly and seamlessly than before.
Jiffy Lube assured me their trans oil is full synthetic and identical to the infamous "WS" tranny oil. I hope their right. I figured they've been doing this to thousands of cars for years and never had an issue. Factual comments welcomed...opinions...not so much! Thanks. I love this site!!
Old 09-21-16, 05:31 AM
burny
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Wow you are one brave guy to trust jiffy lube with that task. Glad it worked out for you.
Old 09-21-16, 05:55 AM
chitown40
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FACT: I would check with Jiffy lube and inquire to the exact fluid that was put into the transmission. Toyota WS ATF is a Mobil-crafted product. The Toyota/Lexus FSM specifically calls for WS ATF. The only other alternative I have seen that is near compatible is Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF.

OPINION: Congrats on getting your 'last' truck. You picked a good one to go out it! LOL
Old 09-21-16, 11:04 AM
co4wheel
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-...er-change.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Accidentally Drained Transmission Fluid While Changing Oil!!!! 2007 Gx470