New 40mm Cusco Rear STB

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 03:26 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 40mm Cusco Rear STB

I just imported a couple Cusco 40mm billet aluminum rear strut tower bars. It's probably the strongest rear strut tower bar you can buy for the Aristo JZS16# or GS300/400/430. I have an extra one and need to sell it for $200. It's currently on display at Area51 Fabrications.
Attached Thumbnails New 40mm Cusco Rear STB-type_40.jpg  
Old 10-16-01, 08:10 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

This one is 40mm...what is that measurement for the Tom's and UGO rear strut bars?
Old 10-17-01, 04:04 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks very good!
Old 10-17-01, 10:10 AM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Reply for Intellexual

Originally posted by Intellexual
This one is 40mm...what is that measurement for the Tom's and UGO rear strut bars?
It's visually double the Ugo rear STB and 3/5 larger in diameter than Tom's. However, unlike Tom's rear STB the Cusco one is polished instead of rusty-orange. Cusco makes a less inexpensive model than the Type 40O (standard streched rectangular-oval) but the rigidity is not as robust as this one (then again... who makes one as strong?).
Old 10-17-01, 06:33 PM
TX GS
Driver

Where does it mount exactly?

Will it fit an 01 GS 300?
Old 10-17-01, 06:38 PM
Shinchan
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there a web site for Area51 Fabrications?
Old 10-17-01, 07:16 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Mounts in the trunk. Some cutting of the trunk material is definitely involved...
Old 10-17-01, 07:43 PM
TX GS
Driver

Ohhh noooo...We can't be cutting in the trunk!!
Old 10-17-01, 11:28 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by TX GS
Ohhh noooo...We can't be cutting in the trunk!!
they're all lying.... you don't have to cut the trunk.

just remove ALL the carpet in the trunk. Save weight, no cutting~!
Old 10-18-01, 04:27 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The Cusco rear STB is a nice unit...however, know that THICKNESS is not the way to measure strength.

The UGO rear STB is CARBON FIBER. Pound for pound carbon fiber is much stronger than aluminum. The reason why the UGO bar isn't some big tube is because it doesn't need to be. And it's lighter (not that it matter much on a rear STB)...

Also, cuttin into the trunk liner is no big deal...I'm constantly surprised by how reluctant people are to get STB's (front or rear) because of some stupid reason...like not wanting to take off the useless engine cover that you never really see or cutting two small slits/holes into the trunk liner...it's not like the trunk liner is water/air tight or anything!

For such MINOR visual changes, the STB adds A LOT (yes, "A LOT" is TWO words, not one) IMPROVEMENT to your handling...

I have yet to run into a situation where having a couple holes in my trunk liner has affected anything...or removing my engine cover...but ever time I take a turn, my STBs make me smile...
Old 10-18-01, 05:24 PM
TX GS
Driver

Manaray,

A stupid reason to you may not be to others.

Stupid is a pretty harsh word...
Old 10-18-01, 05:55 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default Ugo is nice too...

Manaray,

You're right about the part that thickness does not measure strength. The measure is "rigidity" and +/- pole tolerance. A good way to test a strut bar is to have two people hold opposite ends of the strut brace and start twisting. An important factor overlooked in strut bar is the tolerance of the connector bolt and the lock-joint of the bar. FYI, many STB in the market wilt. To reassure people the bolt and joint of the Type-40 series are 17mm pressed billet aluminum (again aerospace quality... I don't need to go there). The thickness and design is the key advantage.

I'm not too sure about the part of carbon fiber being stronger than "billet" aluminum. I know dragcars are moving to billet aluminum driveshafts as opposed to other materials. By the way I wouldn't trust using the Ugo rear STB or any STB if it was completely made of carbon fiber... especially a reinforcement part... maybe for the exterior. Heck, I wouldn't use a carbon fiber based roll cage. That and it's not economically feasible to construct a 100% carbon fiber strut bar and sell it for $249. I'm pretty sure the Ugo bar is carbon-wrapped around rectangular-bar aluminum. In terms of round... haven't you seen the Volkswagen Bettle commercial.

But you're totally right about the handling and turns... the GS tends to have too much body roll and the front/rear STBs do help a lot!
Old 10-19-01, 02:48 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

TX GS - Maybe stupid is a pretty harsh word but I don't mean it personally. I just think in GENERAL that the reasons are stupid. People argue about visuals ("I like the way the engine cover looks") on parts they rarely see! How often do you look under the hood?

As for the trunk, when you open it up, you won't see two HOLES (unless you're completely mechanically and geometrically inept and cut some large honkin' holes )...you'll just see a nice rear STB...

The only real disadvantage to the rear STB is that your rear "shelf" space now has a bar going through it...but for me, my GS isn't a station wagon and I'm not a soccer mom so I'm not exactly carrying around a lot of crap in my trunk...

Botton line is if you like a car that HANDLES, a pair of STBs will make you smile...but I guess if you'd rather have a pretty little engine cover and a pretty trunk liner, then that's your business...

I guess it's much like the difference between the PCA (Porsche Club of America) and the POC (Porsche Owners Club)...PCA members like to just buy and talk about their pretty little Porsches...POC members rip it up on the race track...

V300 - There is no doubt that the Cusco bar is VERY sturdy...my only point was that thickness does not measure strength...I would have ABSOLUTELY NO reservations recommending the Cusco bar you're selling...

The ends of the UGO bar are aluminum and the mounts/bases/brackets (whatever you want to call 'em) are made from steel...it's a pretty sturdy setup...definitely doesn't flex a whole lot (I tried)...and the handling is par with the TRD STB (which is a massive 1-piece steel pipe setup...)

VW Bettle: Would you trade your GS for one? Neither would I.
Old 10-19-01, 03:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by manaray
The ends of the UGO bar are aluminum and the mounts/bases/brackets (whatever you want to call 'em) are made from steel...it's a pretty sturdy setup...definitely doesn't flex a whole lot (I tried)...and the handling is par with the TRD STB (which is a massive 1-piece steel pipe setup...)
so the UGO bar is carbonfiber center, aluminum ends, and the brackets steel?

What about the front STB? same thing? CF center aluminum ends and steel brackets?
Old 10-20-01, 02:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Yup, check out the photo...the pieces at the end of the carbon center which look sorta pinkish in color are anodized aluminum. Then the mounting brackets (red) are steel...and the bolt/nut are also steel (chrome steel).

On a sidenote, did you ever find out if this bar fits on a GS300?

Hey V300, can you get Cusco STBs (front and rear) for the JZS-147s?
Attached Thumbnails New 40mm Cusco Rear STB-ugo-front-stb.jpg  

Quick Reply: New 40mm Cusco Rear STB