Search this Thread

Old 07-16-06, 12:21 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FS - Custom Exhaust Piping/X-Pipe

Guys,

This is for a GS400.

I am going back to stock on my car for the most part so I am selling the exhaust I had custom made.

It is a MANDREL bent 2.5" exhaust starting right after the 2 cats. It has a custom X-pipe with deleted 3rd cat, and dual straight through piping with no resonators. I have video of it somewhere which I will post and also some pictures that I will dig up when I get home. I am sure Hammeed would vouch for the noise of this exhaust - he loved it!

It also has a bung welded in it if you decide to install a wideband.

Obviously this would be difficult to mail so that won't work unless the buyer wants to pay for it. I would have to have it cut in several places and you would have to reweld it.

I need your stock piping in return so if you can come to Tulsa I can have my guy who designed my system take yours off and switch them.

I want $250 for it + your stock piping.

This DOES NOT come with mufflers - use your own or bring some.

Jonny
Old 07-17-06, 07:24 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Here is the video of your exhaust Jonny - http://www.gs400.ca/gs_exhaust_l-tun...resonators.mpg

Yes, this type of exhaust is so awesome, I also did the same mod to my car!

I had a pic of your exhaust too, but can't find it anymore.
Old 07-17-06, 08:37 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Here is the video of your exhaust Jonny - http://www.gs400.ca/gs_exhaust_l-tun...resonators.mpg

Yes, this type of exhaust is so awesome, I also did the same mod to my car!

I had a pic of your exhaust too, but can't find it anymore.
Thank you sir Here is the only picture I can find of it.

Jonny
Old 07-17-06, 10:37 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

r u sure that's a lexus? cuz it sound somewhat like a mustang
Old 07-17-06, 11:08 AM
ShaneC
Lexus Champion

that must sound insane at WOT with load....
Old 07-17-06, 11:13 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Just curious, how come you didn't make the piping a true dual setup instead of having the X-pipe? Any reason for the X-piping?

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-17-06, 11:48 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
Just curious, how come you didn't make the piping a true dual setup instead of having the X-pipe? Any reason for the X-piping?

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Yes,

Something to do with backpressure. My exhaust guy told me it is a must have - and he knows his stuff!! I am sure there is exact information out there on it but I don't know where!

Jonny
Old 07-17-06, 11:57 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by Dx3
Yes,

Something to do with backpressure. My exhaust guy told me it is a must have - and he knows his stuff!! I am sure there is exact information out there on it but I don't know where!

Jonny
How And Why "X"-Pipes Work
By Bruce Wayne, MagnaFlow Performance

There has been an enormous amount of press about getting more out of performance exhaust systems. By incorporating "cross-over" or "X"- pipes in dual pipe systems, to balance out flow, many enthusiasts have found an extra edge. However, the perception is that this is new technology. Nothing could be further from the truth. But, why is an "X" pipe better than an "H"?

The reason an X-Pipe crossover works better than an H-pipe crossover isn't more flow because of volume, but more effective use of exhaust gas velocity. Exhaust gas (or air) has surface tension, and flows much like liquid would through the same pipe system. As the cylinders of each bank on a "V" style motor fire, they create a pulse in the system. The pulses will alternate back and forth from bank to bank as the motor runs. With multiple cylinders, such as a V-8, the eight cylinders alternately fire creates lots of pulses in the system.

If you put your hand behind the tailpipe, it would feel like a constant flow of air, but what it really is a lot of singular pulses giving the impression of constant flow. The idea behind the H and X style crossover is to unite the two banks of cylinders for better exhaust gas scavenging. Instead of two separate banks of four cylinders doing their own work, the crossover uses the pulse created by a firing cylinder of one bank to create a vacuum in the other bank because of surface tension. When a cylinder of the other bank is ready to fire, instead of the piston having to force the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, the vacuum that was created by the other cylinder bank helps suck the exhaust gas out of the cylinder, hence the term "scavenging."

Whenever you can reduce the load on an internal combustion engine, you are likely going to see performance and efficiency benefits. The difference between an H and X crossover is a smoother path for the exhaust gas to follow. Exhaust gas, like a liquid, will follow a path with the least amount of resistance. An H crossover has a path with two sharp 90-degree angles that are close together. An X crossover has a path with a much more gradual bend to allow the exhaust gases to continue their path back out to the ends of the tailpipes, rather then turning sideways for a short distance, then turn again to head out the tailpipes. Smooth flow with high velocity means more power by use of scavenging. Using an exhaust system with too large of piping diameter work against scavenging in the same way that running an exhaust with too small of tubing chokes the motor and forces it to work harder to expel the exhaust gases.
Old 07-17-06, 04:01 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

hey bud,

Could it be modified for me? you know the 3? Cause i luv it... and it would sound more subtle on mine... and im in town...
Old 07-17-06, 04:07 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mattress
hey bud,

Could it be modified for me? you know the 3? Cause i luv it... and it would sound more subtle on mine... and im in town...
Matt,

I would love for you to have it but I don't think it would work. I think you need a Y pipe instead but I could be wrong. Also, I don't think there is anyway to get yours to mount up to mine??? We can go up to see Chris my exhaust guy and see what he thinks though. Let me know,

Jonny
Old 07-17-06, 04:30 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

yea it sounds plossible, probably would change the way it sounds but my engine would do that anyway... it might fit with a custom front or at least somethin compatible... just one of the best sounding exhausts i've heard... oh, but one downside even if it worked... you wouldnt have a stockie.. 300/400 problem

im at work right now but ... whats up for tommorrow
Old 07-17-06, 04:32 PM
Mattress
Pole Position

hey btw, just the piping, does that l-tuned stay with you?
Old 07-17-06, 08:06 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dx3

This DOES NOT come with mufflers - use your own or bring some.

Jonny
Soo, ummm, nooooooooooooo~~

I gotta work tomorrow man so I can't make it unfortunately. Not to mention my car is in pieces in the garage! Print out the picture I posted and bring it to Chris at K&M Mufflers in BA and ask him if he can make yours work with mine and mine with yours.

Jonny
Old 07-18-06, 07:05 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by ShaneC
that must sound insane at WOT with load....
It sure does sound insane at WOT.

Here is a video of mine, although not under WOT, but moving off fairly quickly. This will give you an idea of how good this type of custom exhaust is.

http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...00_Revving.wmv
Old 07-18-06, 12:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
It sure does sound insane at WOT.

Here is a video of mine, although not under WOT, but moving off fairly quickly. This will give you an idea of how good this type of custom exhaust is.

http://www.prudensconsulting.com/yah...00_Revving.wmv
U da man Hameed I thought more people would have been interested in this

Jonny

Quick Reply: FS - Custom Exhaust Piping/X-Pipe