LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

96 LS 400 CD Changer

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-02, 03:05 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts
Angry 96 LS 400 CD Changer

Hey all !

I have been reading here for a while now, I finally registered. I am glad to be in this group of Lexii junkies : )

Well, I was driving home from work the other day and listing to a CD. All of a sudden it stopped playing and the display shows "ERR 13". I can not do anythng with it now, I cant even eject the cart from the changer.

So, today I called up my local Lexus Dealer to ask about it. I was told there was nothing I could do besides bring the car in and when I asked about what it cost, I was quoted about $700.

OUCH !!!!!

SO, I have 2 questions to ask here. Is there any quick fix for this ?
I will try to at least get the CDs out myself (I'm very handy when it comes to these kind of things). Is there directions that someone can give me to get the changer out of the dash with out doing any damage to the car ??

Thanks in Advance !
Old 04-24-02, 07:05 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to completely remove the lower glovebox assy, then the upper glovebox door, then the upper glovebox liner.

There's a 10-mm nut on the rightmost edge of the dash trim. You'll need the passenger door open to get to this. Memory is it's about knee-high. Now take everything out of the main glove compartment. Note in the back that there's a small pop-out "door" rectangular, about 1 x 1½ inch. Behind this is another 10-mmm nut that has to come out.

From here it's fairly obvious which screws have to come out. The upper glovebox door has to come off, but you first have to remove the lower glovebox completely to get at the screws. Also the upper door has a damper assy on the left side and a guide rod on the right. Both can be removed with a knife blade to pop off the triangular-shaped covers. Finally the upper glovebox liner comes out. Then you'll be able to see & reach the bolts holding the CD changer in place.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-02, 10:38 AM
wow
Driver School Candidate

Wink

Try to reset the system by disconneting the battery for 30 minutes. Some time the sytem will reset itself w/o power.
Gook luck!
Old 04-25-02, 03:18 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Thanks for the input and to you "New Owner" for your helpfull ideas on removing it (both here and the newsgroup). I will attempt it again this weekend (it's going to be hard this week)

Does anyone know if the 30-min thing will work ? I disconnected the battery for about a minute, the clock reset but, nothing different from the changer.

THanks again everyone !!!
Old 04-26-02, 10:02 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Well, Funny thing. It's been not working over almost 2 weeks. Today I was driving around and I (for the hell of it) hit the CD button and now it works. Very strange.

I Ejected the cart and Pulled out CDs to make sure there was no problem with them. Put it back in and it plays perfectly, very strange.

Well, I guess I dont need to spend $200-700 for a new one, cause this one worked fine and never skipped on a CD or anything. Just this one jam.

Should I pull it out anyway and clean it out, it is almost 6 years old now or should I wait to see if it has another problem.

I am one that believes in, if it aint broken, dont fix it.
Old 04-27-02, 06:32 PM
New Owner
Rookie

Default If it ain't broke, don't fix it

I think it's wise to leave well enough alone at this point. It's a fairly high-ticket item and one that's quite scarce at the salvage yards. Considering the age of the car I would only consider replacing the CD changer if you plan on keeping it (I do).

If you remember which cd was playing when it originally jammed, you might want to pull it out and check it along with its carrier. Doubtful you'll find anything obvious, but still worth a look.

As for the CD changer, as they say, there are "no user-serviceable parts inside".

Last edited by New Owner; 04-27-02 at 06:35 PM.