Automotive Care & Detailing Discussions on washing, waxing, polishing, detailing, cleaning and maintaining the beauty of your Lexus.

how to remove scratches/scuff marks from vinyl?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-07, 01:24 PM
skk440
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to remove scratches/scuff marks from vinyl?

I've had my car for less than a week, but noticed that the back of the front seat (where rear passenger's knees would be if they were sitting) has this huge scuff mark or scratch. I would guess its from the dealership person cleaning the car. I know its not a big deal, but i would like to remove it. I tried armorall and it didn't work. This board has far more experience and knowledge, so i was hoping someone had some answers. Thank you for your help.
Old 08-11-07, 10:47 PM
DrexLex
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends on the sheen of the original surface. If it has some mild sheen to it, you can try different degrees of car polish. The trick is not to polish the area into a higher shine than the rest. The dullness you need can be controlled somewhat by the coarsness of the polish. Ones for cleaning of heavily oxidated paint (dull) vs one for swirl removal (shiny). In some cases for textured plastic I have used a green Scotchbrite pad with good results, to gently blur the scratch into the background. It's more art than science. Do a little and see what happens.
Old 08-12-07, 09:47 PM
SilverSprt
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skk440
I've had my car for less than a week, but noticed that the back of the front seat (where rear passenger's knees would be if they were sitting) has this huge scuff mark or scratch. I would guess its from the dealership person cleaning the car. I know its not a big deal, but i would like to remove it. I tried armorall and it didn't work. This board has far more experience and knowledge, so i was hoping someone had some answers. Thank you for your help.
This is a great question. I have a very similar scratch behind the driver's seat and have not been able to get rid of it. The "green scotchbrite" pad sounds a bit scary. that's the same stuff thing i use to take out very stubborn oil stains out of pots and pans. I'm a bit apprehensive about using that one since this pad can easily scratch the vinyl and make the scratch much worse than it already is.
Old 08-13-07, 06:51 AM
GS2006
Lead Lap

If the dealer did, make them fix it.

What they will do is have their third party car detailer repair it. It will take about ten minutes. What they will do is lightly buff the area put some filler over it and press the texture match the pattern. Then they will spray paint the area to match the color of the material. That is it.. Perfect? No, but if they know what they are doing, it will be close.
Old 08-13-07, 07:08 AM
noncom23
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can try some "Simple Green".
Old 08-14-07, 12:45 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Or try Lemon Scrub....should get the scuff out. Then use Aero 303.
Old 08-14-07, 02:34 PM
lexusnutt
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Try a Mr. Clean Magic eraser....use it lightly.

Worked for me on a BIG scuff on the dash.
Old 08-16-07, 12:20 PM
mandyfig

Received 407 Likes on 359 Posts

Erasers work well with plastics, too. Keep several grades...fine, mid and coarse. Works all the time.