Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

new here, ecu for IS220d?

Old 07-31-07, 05:38 AM
greek220d
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new here, ecu for IS220d?

Hey everyone, I've lurked here for a while and have seen a lot of good information, and it's about time I ask a question of my own.

I have an '06 IS220d, and my experience with turbo cars in the past has led me to believe that the easiest way to get hp is an ecu upgrade. I haven't been able to find anything for the 220d (also used search and came up dry).

Anyone have any insight? Thanks a lot
Old 07-31-07, 02:44 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt you are going to find anything in the near future. I've been working on a piggy-back for the IS350 and IS250, but I don't know of anything else out there.
Old 08-01-07, 12:29 AM
caribmon71
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gernby
I doubt you are going to find anything in the near future. I've been working on a piggy-back for the IS350 and IS250, but I don't know of anything else out there.
What will your piggy-back do for the IS250 and how is that project going for you? It sounds very interesting. I've heard that due to high compression, a turbo kit is unlikely for the IS350. Does the same hold true for the IS250? Or is this something that may be available sometime in the future?
Old 08-01-07, 06:13 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

You can read about my piggy-back from the thread in my sig. I'm sure someone will eventually put a really low boost kit on a 250, but I think it will be a total waste. The 250 has even higher compression than the 350, and the cost certainly would be more than just getting the 350.
Old 08-01-07, 01:08 PM
edualc
Rookie

i know there are some things for the is220d and there are even german testdrives with it. if i'm not wrong its a "chip"tuning from 177hp to 220hp. i'l look it up.tte presents a "chip" for the diesel
http://www.autobild.de/tuning/news/a...tikel_id=11266
Old 08-01-07, 01:46 PM
JDKane527
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caribmon71
I've heard that due to high compression, a turbo kit is unlikely for the IS350. Does the same hold true for the IS250? Or is this something that may be available sometime in the future?
Blitz made a sc kit for the 350, but it's in Japan. The 250 actually has more compression.
Old 08-06-07, 03:47 PM
IS666
Driver School Candidate

for the IS220:

www.hopa-tec.de

you can find also some info about the engine here: toyota-avensis.de.vu

Also for the TTE, they still don't offer anything that you could buy for this engine.
Old 01-11-09, 07:59 AM
Tommyvdv
Driver School Candidate

Lightbulb

I just "chipped" my IS220d, (google for ventura tuning) it took me about 10 minutes to install the diy kit. (They can do it as well but I didn't wanna drive that far, and they give an "8 day money back guarantee")

Theoretical numbers are : 207bhp and around 460Nm
Even though I can't confirm those numbers I have to say the car just drives better, the extra power is nice to have and even a little addictive.

PS: It costs about 480 Euro's
Old 01-12-09, 07:59 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

If it only took 10 minutes, and didn't require any tuning, then it sounds like you fell prey to the IAT sensor scam. How many wires did you have to connect?

Last edited by Gernby; 01-12-09 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-12-09, 02:31 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

If it only took 10 minutes, and didn't require any tuning, then it sounds like you fell prey to the IAT sensor scam. How many wires did you have to connect?
It's a diesel. You need to forget most of what you know about controlling gasoline engines since it doesn't apply. IAT isn't a big problem with a diesel engine because the engine has no throttleplate and is completely controlled by fuel quantity. This is why you can turbo a diesel without being concerned about much of anything. It just raises the smoke line. If you want more power, you have to feed it more fuel. It's also the case in point for understanding turbos work off waste heat, not airflow. Diesels always take a full gulp of air because air is unrestricted. It has to be to allow the combustion chamber to get hot enough to ignite the fuel when it is sprayed into the cylinder.

Whatever these guys are doing, it has to affect fuel directly.
Old 01-12-09, 03:20 PM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Wow, I didn't know that about diesels. I knew they didn't have spark plugs, but I had no idea they don't have throttle plates. In that case, what could an electronic gadget do for a non-turbo'd diesel that the OEM wouldn't have done themselves? I looked at their website, and they claim to make large gains on tons of diesels. I find it hard to believe that there would have some huge secret tweak that none of the OEMs know about.
Old 01-12-09, 06:53 PM
Jefe's IS
Pole Position

Wow, I didn't know that about diesels. I knew they didn't have spark plugs, but I had no idea they don't have throttle plates. In that case, what could an electronic gadget do for a non-turbo'd diesel that the OEM wouldn't have done themselves? I looked at their website, and they claim to make large gains on tons of diesels. I find it hard to believe that there would have some huge secret tweak that none of the OEMs know about.
The problems occur in the EGTs. The new programming only adds fuel. The more fuel, the more power, the higher the EGTs. The higher EGTs shorten the life of the turbo hence why OEMs don't "tweak" the ECU for more fuel. In addition the extra power places increased loads on the drive train that may exceed the comfort zone for the OEMs. Again a possible reliability issue. There also the emmisions. More fuel = more smoke (unburned fuel) = soot.
Old 01-13-09, 06:17 AM
Gernby
Lexus Champion

Does the IS220d have a turbo?
Old 01-14-09, 04:35 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,834 Likes on 2,323 Posts

Does the IS220d have a turbo?
Apparently so.
Old 01-14-09, 09:20 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

goddamit, who would have thought the IS that is the most tunable is the turbo deisel engine ( i knew about the desiel but i guess i missed the turbo part) a 35hp theorital increase is great even though manufactureres almost always overstate their gains

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new here, ecu for IS220d?