LS - 1st and 2nd Gen (1990-2000) Discussion topics related to the 1990 - 2000 Lexus LS400

What fuel additives do you use, and how often?

Old 03-16-07, 10:11 PM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What fuel additives do you use, and how often?

I used to use injector cleaners ever 5,000 miles in my old car, but havent put anything in my LS. What have you guys used?
Old 03-16-07, 10:13 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

lucas fuel injector cleaner, great stuff
Old 03-16-07, 10:55 PM
Heepspo
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevron additives are really good.
Old 03-16-07, 11:06 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sea foam beats everything possible , once you use it you'll wonder why you never did it before. Once you start you can't stop getting new horsepower. I use it in my 3 cars , my wife's ,my lawnmower and snow blowers.
Old 03-17-07, 09:57 AM
Lexkost
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If you run good gas like Chevron you will never need any.
Old 03-17-07, 10:59 AM
TJW98LS
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexkost
If you run good gas like Chevron you will never need any.
That's all I put in my tank. I don't know about the previous owner though. 60,000 miles of...unknown. I've put about 3,000 on it so far. Filled up maybe 8-9 times.
Old 03-17-07, 01:25 PM
bicol-ini
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use BG 44K every 3 mos good stuff
Old 03-17-07, 01:40 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any good polyetheramine additive will do the trick. I like using Gumout Regane on my cars.
Old 03-17-07, 03:22 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

Does not matter what gas you use the intake manifold will always have carbon build up robbing you of power and fuel economy including the engine being smoother.

I have used the bg stuff (still have 3 out of 5 cans i bought) and it does nothing compared to sea foam , it does very light cleaning but so does throttle body cleaner. I have also used the Lucas stuff and it was no major change.

Try it ,you won't go back
Don't get me wrong they may clean but it is the difference of cleaning power of Camry and a LS both have the same principals but one is much more refined in multiple areas.
Old 03-17-07, 04:00 PM
Suneet
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Can you elaborate on how you use seafom, how often, etc? Also, where do you get the stuff? I can't seem to find it anywhere around here.
Old 03-17-07, 04:09 PM
Brandicus
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suneet
Can you elaborate on how you use seafom, how often, etc? Also, where do you get the stuff? I can't seem to find it anywhere around here.
I second that, Id love to try it
Old 03-17-07, 05:21 PM
93ls400WD
Driver School Candidate

I vote for Seafoam and BG44K. Seafoam is around $5 per can and the Bg is around $20.

I use either with around 1/4th tank of gas. When I used them with a full tank I only noticed a smoother idle. But the first time I used one in a 1/4 tank I noticed a major improvement in acceleration.

I use one or the other every 4-6 weeks
Old 03-17-07, 05:39 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

It is available at any napa for about $5 and it worth its weight in platinum never mind gold.
On my 98 i drilled a small hole in my plastic intake between the air filter and the throttle body. I then have a small copper valve i use to allow it to be sucked in when i do use it. Some people use the brake booster but i find it too far back and it does not clean the throttle body of the front of the manifold. If you do use a vac line find one closest to the front of the engine.
I do a treatment at every oil change which is twice a year ,May and November.

An easier way is to use 1/3 - 1/2 (my preferred for a V8) a can of seafoam.
let the engine warm up for 2 minutes from it being cold.Seafoam has a low boiling point so too much heat will cause it to evaporate rendering it less effective.
Then let the seafoam sucked in the intake and once it is in shut the car off if it has not already died.
Let it sit for 15 minutes to soak into any carbon deposits.
Restart the engine and watch the smoke screen . it will blow thick clouds of white smoke out the exhaust as the deposits get heated and burnt. Some say it may foul the plugs but i never have seen that on my cars.

The more smoke the more carbon deposits.
It also does wonders in the oil which is partly why i do it at an oil change but it is needed 1 time a year instead. The rest of the can i used for the intake i stick in 1/2 a tank of gas and away i go.

I prefer to do it late at night when no one will call the fire dept as it is quite thick the first time especially.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 03-17-07, 05:52 PM
skperformance
Lexus Champion

The chemicals in the cleaners are much too harsh to be adding every few weeks as it can cause rubber seals to expand. If you are having that much carbon build up you have a problem that needs to be fixed . It is like using soap to fix a wound.
Old 03-17-07, 07:45 PM
MCHolyG
Driver School Candidate

when i worked at a german car dealer i learned that vw/audi's product is really Techron by Chevron. The mechanics swore by that stuff. Meanwhile, on the Mercedes side, they used to sell the BG products and the techs there said they were great as well. I've always used techron and that stuff will make a noticeable difference as soon as you put it in, particularly if you put it in an empty tank, then add only like 5 gallons and take a long ride. i've had camry's that wouldn't run come back to life with it.

that's a good gen. maintenance add. the SEAFOAM that everyone is talking about is a great product when you have a problem. we recommend that in my motorcycle forum for bikes that have been sitting a while and the carbs gum up. dump that in the intake running it wide open so it won't stall until the bottle is empty. like a new machine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What fuel additives do you use, and how often?