Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

LS400 horn problem.

Old 12-14-04, 10:30 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS400 horn problem.

92 LS400, the horn works only half of the time when pressed on the horn pad at the steering wheel. seems like there are some contacts/swith that activates the horn when pressed, but I want to know how to replace them. I have gone through the search and found how to take out the steering wheel, but it doesnt address how to just take the cover off to find out where the horn switches are.
any help will be appreciated.
Old 01-31-05, 08:45 AM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

I have yet to get any replies on this.
I'm sure someone has the solution to this. what i have also noticed is that if i press on the horn atleast three of four times then it starts working. but the next day the first two or three tries dont activate the horn again.
I amm sure it's a switch that needs to be filed down or replaced. how do i get to that swich is what i want to know.. where are the techs ?
Old 01-31-05, 12:26 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexs400
I have yet to get any replies on this.
I'm sure someone has the solution to this. what i have also noticed is that if i press on the horn atleast three of four times then it starts working. but the next day the first two or three tries dont activate the horn again.
I amm sure it's a switch that needs to be filed down or replaced. how do i get to that swich is what i want to know.. where are the techs ?

Sorry, i never saw this There actually isnt any sort of switch under the air bag. There is a wire that is connected to the case of the air bag, and when you push the horn, the case connected to the metal case in the steering wheel and completes the circuit. If you remove the air bag unit, two torq screws one on each side, you will see the wire, and how its attatched. You may also see the contact points of the air bag case and steering wheel, you can clean those. I have to ask though, does it matter what position the steering wheel is in, meaning turned left or right, if so, it could be a spiral cable problem. Also, does it matter if the wheel is telescoped in or out, or tilted up or down? I ran into a problem once, where there was too much grease on the column tube, and it couldnt ground, so i have to run a new ground from one peice of the column to the other. I hope some of this has helped...
Old 01-31-05, 01:29 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

thanks a bunch for answering !
no it doesnt matter what way the steering wheel is tilted and it didnt matter if it is telescoped in or out. it's a shame the lex dealer here tells me i need to change the whole airbag assembly for 2500 . i think they're crazy !
at this point what i want to know is how do i go about removing the air bag ? i did extensive serach and didnt come up with much information regarding this particular year. they all are for the newer year and models.
any pics would be of great help. it's the first gen lx with cruise control and telephone buttons mounted on the sides of the steering wheel.
thnx again.
Old 02-04-05, 01:32 PM
Lexs400
Lexus Test Driver

any more ideas ?
Old 02-04-05, 06:25 PM
Jet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lexs400
thanks a bunch for answering !
no it doesnt matter what way the steering wheel is tilted and it didnt matter if it is telescoped in or out. it's a shame the lex dealer here tells me i need to change the whole airbag assembly for 2500 . i think they're crazy !
at this point what i want to know is how do i go about removing the air bag ? i did extensive serach and didnt come up with much information regarding this particular year. they all are for the newer year and models.
any pics would be of great help. it's the first gen lx with cruise control and telephone buttons mounted on the sides of the steering wheel.
thnx again.
Hey sorry to hear about athe problems you seems to have with your car... First I dont know how mechanically inclined you are but taking apart the air bag on that car requires you to use torex sockets and obvious some safety knowledge about cars and not to mention its always dangerous if you dont know what you are doing when dealing with air bags.
In your case if you are capible, take apart the steering column cover. its held on by three screws, two you can see by turning the steering wheel and the third one is on the bottom.of the lower cover. once thats done locate tthe Black connector that has a total of 14 wire spots on the connector and find the wire thats Green with red tracer on it. use a volt meter red to the wire and black to ground. with out the horn pad(air bag) pushed down you'll see approx 12v and with the pad pressed you should see 0v. turn the steering wheel full lock to lock slowly with the horn pad pressed down and just see if anytime the voltage comes back. if it did. most likely you have a problem with your spiral cable. RTcamaroSS is absolutely right, theres nothing you can file down and its not a good idea to temper with air bags. Once you have come to your conclusion of what the car needs its a good idea to bring the car to the Dealer and have them change it.

Last edited by Jet; 02-04-05 at 06:28 PM.
Old 11-17-06, 05:25 AM
pilotjohn
Driver School Candidate

Question LS400 Hirb Problems

When I push the horn (AirBag) area, I do hear and feel clicking on the horn relay fuse in the fuse box in the front of the car. Does this usually mean that the problem DOES NOT appear to be the horn (AairBag) button or area.
Thanks so much all.
Pilotjohn
Old 11-17-06, 06:44 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to this forum !

I am attaching the horn wiring diagram for a 1995 LS400.

(your profile suggests yours is a 1945?)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
1995 LS400 Horn.pdf (20.8 KB, 600 views)
Old 11-17-06, 04:05 PM
pilotjohn
Driver School Candidate

How did you guess a 1945 Tammy
Old 11-17-06, 04:12 PM
pilotjohn
Driver School Candidate

I see my mistake and fixed it Tammy, Thanks. John