Maintenance Discuss common Lexus maintenance questions here.

Jiffy Lube or Not????

Old 07-28-06, 06:37 PM
hell554
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jiffy Lube or Not????

I need to get my transmission flushed on my 1999 GS300. I called the Lexus dealer and they quoted me an astonishing $285.00. HOLY %*&$ !!! I know my local Jiffy Lube does the transmission flush, but I doubt they use genuine Toyota fluids.

Any thoughts for going to Jiffy Lube or not going to Jiffy Lube. The cost is less than $100.00 for the flush.

I do my own oil changes and other maintenance, but this is a little too big for me to do. Anyone ever had this done there? PROS or CONS or is appreciated....Thanks.

hell554

IT JUST SO HAPPENS
THAT I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW
THAT ONE CAN NEVER KNOW
WHAT MAY JUST HAPPEN
Old 07-28-06, 06:44 PM
mikal
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from jimmy lube.

My choices would be either the dealer, or an independant lexus/toyota repair shop.

Have you tried going to a Toyota Dealer to ask for the price? Might be cheaper.
Old 07-28-06, 06:48 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dude, there was an undercover reporter that did a piece on jiffylube...not a good idea. Click on the clips

http://www.nbc4.tv/mechanicinvestigation/index.html
Old 07-28-06, 06:58 PM
educk
Rookie

If you ever try and sell that car, and a potential buyer like me sees "Jiffy Lube" in your maintenance history, it would squirell me out and I'd join a forum like this just to vent.

Find a local Toyota dealer...Stuff like a drain and fill is nothing, and I imagine it would cost half of what Lexus wants (for the exact same stuff). Or, if you are really compelled to save some $$$, find out how much fluid you need for the refill, and ask Jiffy to use your stuff...Or find a mom+pop local tranny shop, and ask them if they'll do the work if you supply the materials. Most will agree, and at worst they make you sign a waiver.
Old 07-28-06, 07:15 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

It would be worth the 285.00.. Lexus dealer, lexus service, lexus responsibilty if something happened.. and you know it would be done right..

Jiffy Lube.... No way...
Old 07-28-06, 07:53 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

I actually have my oil changes done at my local GoodYear tire center. My friends uncle is the manager and they do good work. I bring my own oil (Mobil1 Synthetic & K&N Filter), they do my tire rotations, alingments, wheel balancing etc etc. I had them flush my radiator and do my tranny and diff fluid not to long ago (about 2 weeks). I trust them only becuase I've been to a few others closer to my house and they have done good work as well. But when it comes to oil changes, diff fluids etc etc I go to my friends Uncles spot. If you have a GoodYear/Express tire center near you I would suggest them before Jiffy Lube.
Old 07-28-06, 07:56 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 62 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal_VIP
I actually have my oil changes done at my local GoodYear tire center. My friends uncle is the manager and they do good work. I bring my own oil (Mobil1 Synthetic & K&N Filter), they do my tire rotations, alingments, wheel balancing etc etc. I had them flush my radiator and do my tranny and diff fluid not to long ago (about 2 weeks). I trust them only becuase I've been to a few others closer to my house and they have done good work as well. But when it comes to oil changes, diff fluids etc etc I go to my friends Uncles spot. If you have a GoodYear/Express tire center near you I would suggest them before Jiffy Lube.
Same here, I have a trusted mechanic that I've been dealing with for 10 years. He's good and he's honest.. I would also suggest a Good year tire center.. Thats where my mechanic was before he opened his own auto shop... GL
Old 07-28-06, 08:15 PM
HGill
Pole Position

Jiffy lube wont use the Toyota tranny fluid, I would pay extra and just take it to the dealer.
Old 07-29-06, 01:09 AM
hell554
Driver School Candidate

I figured that much about Jiffy Lube...I talked to a guy I work with, who used to be a Toyota tech. He told me to schedule the maintenance through a Toyota dealer, to avoid the high dealer price...He said the Lexus dealer is pricing their service, based off their name...I have never used Jiffy Lube, due to changing my own oil and other maintenance myself. I look at all the "terds" that are working there and it worries me to say the least....Anyway, thanks for tips.
Old 07-29-06, 01:19 AM
flyfl1pguy

You want to learn more about jiffy lube in s.CA. . . Watch the video. . .

JIFFY LUBE
Old 07-29-06, 01:56 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

I've never done it but several friends of mine who change their own oil have done the drain and refill method every other oil change depending how often you change your oil

I would avoid places that deal in mass make and model buisness, the room for mistakes increases with every car they add to their list, I've seen friends spend more getting the job done right the second time or fixing the problems that the 1st place created

Just do you research and take it to a good place, we all have to take a chance once in awhile, but I'd go to a Toyota dealer cause they have good prices long as you don't let them services the vehicles with all the BS they recommend
Old 07-29-06, 01:58 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

hell554, if you do your own maintenance, why not just drain and refill everytime you do an oil change. Eventually, your tranny fluid will be practically new.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-29-06, 05:27 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to Jiffy Lube. I used to take my parents blazer in there and they were always trying to sell something and get other services done. Plus the video confirmed what I suspected and is the reason I would NEVER go there again
Old 07-29-06, 05:58 AM
BRADSGS4
Lead Lap

Default Trans Flush!

Go To The Dealer! Lexus Or Toyota
We Sell It For $200.00???
Old 07-29-06, 07:42 AM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I change my own oil but tranny fluid, I would go to a toyota dealer