Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus L600/L650h Super Sedan ?

Old 07-26-06, 02:56 PM
jrock65
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus L600/L650h Super Sedan ?

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but the latest issue of R&T has a little blurb on a possible Lexus supersedan slotted above the LS600h.

I can't remember exactly what it said (the mag is at home), but the L650h will use a V12 coupled with a hybrid motor. It'll be bigger than the long-wheelbase LS. Pricing is supposedly in the range of $150,000 and the targets are the Maybach and Bentley sedans.

The blurb also had a pic, don't know if it was a photoshop, but it had people walking around it. I don't have a scanner, so someone else would have to scan.
Old 07-26-06, 03:09 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Yea I heard about that. Many have said the photoshop they have in the mag looks really good.
Old 07-26-06, 03:10 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hmmm...

The only thing I can think of that would be mistaken as something above the V8 LS is the V12 (V8+hybrid) long-wheelbase LS, or maybe the Century Royal that was made exclusively for the Japanese Imperial Family.

Old 07-26-06, 04:00 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock65
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet, but the latest issue of R&T has a little blurb on a possible Lexus supersedan slotted above the LS600h.

I can't remember exactly what it said (the mag is at home), but the L650h will use a V12 coupled with a hybrid motor. It'll be bigger than the long-wheelbase LS. Pricing is supposedly in the range of $150,000 and the targets are the Maybach and Bentley sedans.

The blurb also had a pic, don't know if it was a photoshop, but it had people walking around it. I don't have a scanner, so someone else would have to scan.
It's called the LS 600h L...
Old 07-26-06, 04:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it would help Lexus' global ambitions for it to merge with the high-end Toyotas made for the JDM, so that the Japanese royal family rides in a Super-Lexus.

When I first saw 'L 650h' I was a bit skeptical, as it seemed to lose something over 'LS 600h' but now I'm warming up to it a bit. Although 'I have an LS' sounds better than 'I have an L' (Wheel of Fortune anyone?)

And there apparently is an LS 600h AND an LS 600h L; the former is only to be sold in Japan.
Old 07-26-06, 04:57 PM
CHIS350
Pole Position

I think Toyota would need a new division to compete with the likes of Maybach and Bentley. They can do it, but not with the Lexus name. I mean, you are talking ULTRA prestige there.
Old 07-26-06, 05:04 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

There was a supposed insider from Japan posting in another forum about the development of a V12 Toyota Crown replacement, I wonder whether that car(if true) has anything to do with this rumour from the mag . . .
Old 07-26-06, 05:38 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CHIS350
I think Toyota would need a new division to compete with the likes of Maybach and Bentley. They can do it, but not with the Lexus name. I mean, you are talking ULTRA prestige there.
Ordinarily I would agree, but Lexus is all about defeating and surpassing Mercedes/BMW. I think also that Toyota wants to keep the number of divisions small. If we are talking about Lexus Ferrari-competitors (LF-A), and considering the comparisons the New LS has sparked with Maybach, I see a case of Lexus, a 'New Luxury' market brand, going upmarket without creating a completely new division. Perhaps a Lexus-Maybach thing, but not a new 'Pinnacle' brand. After all, the Japanese Royal Family currently has a Toyota Century. There is no need to leapfrog Lexus to an ever higher brand.

Why not move Lexus upmarket even further, and encroach on the ultra-luxury market? That is what Lexus is all about IMO, an upward movement designed to shake up staid luxury markets, introduce better quality and design, etc. I realize a Lexus LF-A will not be a huge player against say Ferrari, but considering the lower sales of Maybach, and the small numbers relatively speaking of this segment, PLUS the already top-in-nation high-end standards of the Lexus dealerships, it seems possible that a Lexus brand could be spoken of in a similar breath with Maybach and Bentley and others.

Currently, I foresee (hoping): Lexus GT to compete with AMG, and possibly M/R series...of which IS 500 GT and GT 450 will be the cars (GT 450 being a Ferrari/supercoupe competitor), and then the L 650h, 'Super-Lexus'...perhaps Lexus Century division to cater to the high, high end.
Old 07-26-06, 05:49 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

I agree in general ^^^, & at $150K range (if true), it will still be competing with the top end Mercedes AMG's in price, but I believe the content & material used will surpass them(& Lexus needs to), making it actually comparable to the $200K+ Bentley's . . .
Old 07-26-06, 09:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

interesting news. i strongly believe no matter how you look at it, lexus is still going to be about value, coz' for comparable cars, you are going to pay less for lexus that's for sure.

making a 150k i am sure that will easily go against the s600, s65, etc... and probably surpass them with all the goodies inside the car

but personally, i am not sure if lexus, as a brand, is ready to go against maybach, bentley, rolls royce, etc....

to us, we all know lexus has the ability to achieve that. however to people who are paying the money for thsoe brands, i am not sure if they will associate with lexus, who is also selling a 30k is250.

maybe lexus can do something like introducing another superb luxury brand later on?
Old 07-27-06, 02:39 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The pic is on autospies...I searched for info on Yahoo and the link came up, along with this pic:

I am curious what Lexus' interpretation of a super-luxury, limousine-class vehicle would be like. I imagine more modern, and more technology yet still classy and stylish, with lots of wood accents done tastefully.

And who knows--maybe some concept elements that have been dreamed of for production vehicles, but until now not achieved. Items such as holographic displays and lighted wall panels...or electrochromatic roofs, mood lighting...you name it!
Attached Thumbnails Lexus L600/L650h Super Sedan ?-maybachcrusher1.jpg  
Old 07-27-06, 07:11 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

That looks pretty distinctive LOL, not sure I like it yet, I haven't seen that before, good find
Old 07-27-06, 08:01 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
That looks pretty distinctive LOL, not sure I like it yet, I haven't seen that before, good find
I agree!!

I love the fact Lexus is really gunning up and up, as our incomes rise, we can stay with the brand

It also makes sense from a Lexust standpoint as they do LUXURY with the best. A Super luxo barge need not be sporty, which is Lexus forte.

Old 07-27-06, 09:01 AM
ic144
Driver

Originally Posted by enigma888
The pic is on autospies...I searched for info on Yahoo and the link came up, along with this pic:

I am curious what Lexus' interpretation of a super-luxury, limousine-class vehicle would be like. I imagine more modern, and more technology yet still classy and stylish, with lots of wood accents done tastefully.

And who knows--maybe some concept elements that have been dreamed of for production vehicles, but until now not achieved. Items such as holographic displays and lighted wall panels...or electrochromatic roofs, mood lighting...you name it!

WHOA.....when did they show off this concept? Which motor show was it?
Old 07-27-06, 09:02 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Looks futuristically luxurious and distinctive. It would be so cool if Lexus developed this and had unheard technology that no other automobile manufacturer has...

Last edited by Trexus; 07-27-06 at 09:07 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus L600/L650h Super Sedan ?