RX - 1st Gen (1999-2003) Discussion topics related to the 1999 -2003 RX300 models

Antenna problem with 2001 RX 300..HELP!!

Old 12-22-05, 08:45 AM
jcjr
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Antenna problem with 2001 RX 300..HELP!!

Hello, New to the site....GREAT SITE!!!

I just recently bought a 2001 RX 300....Just noticed that my antenna does not retract...I hear the antenna motor running but the antenna will not retarct....Can this be easily repaired???

Is this what is involved in the "antenna mast replacement" that I have seen referenced.

Appreciate any help.....THANKS!!!!
Old 12-22-05, 12:59 PM
Fern
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net
Old 12-22-05, 02:03 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Default Antenna mast replacement is all that is needed????

Thanks for the reply....Fern....I am assuming that the "antenna mast replacement" will take care of the problem....Therefore it is not an antenna motor prolem???

Thank you in advance!!!
Old 12-23-05, 10:48 AM
vp911
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our RX300 had this problem (2002) and the dealer replaced the motor. It was out of warranty but they did it on goodwill Lexus.
Old 12-23-05, 07:30 PM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vp911
Our RX300 had this problem (2002) and the dealer replaced the motor. It was out of warranty but they did it on goodwill Lexus.
OK, but he can hear his motor running so it doesn't seem to be a bad motor. The antenna has a long nylon gear tail attached to the end. The motor spins a gear which drives the teeth on this nylon piece. That's what runs the antenna up and down. If a piece of that nylon tail has broken off inside the motor, then he would have to disassemble the motor to get it out. A dealer wouldn't disassemble the motor to fix that. They'd just give you a whole new unit. Replacing the antenna is simple. Disassembling the motor is one level harder. Getting to the motor is another issue.

NOTE: That website shows the factory manual procedure for replacing the antenna. The factory manual says the teeth of the antenna gear must face toward the REAR of the vehicle. On my '00 RX300 it had to face the FRONT. Pay attention to the direction when you run the antenna out of the motor.

Last edited by ericok; 12-23-05 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-23-05, 07:37 PM
vp911
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by ericok
OK, but he can hear his motor running so it doesn't seem to be a bad motor. The antenna has a long nylon gear tail attached to the end. The motor spins a gear which drives the teeth on this nylon piece. That's what runs the antenna up and down. If a piece of that nylon tail has broken off inside the motor, then he would have to disassemble the motor to get it out. A dealer wouldn't disassemble the motor to fix that. They'd just give you a whole new unit. Replacing the antenna is simple. Disassembling the motor is one level harder. Getting to the motor is another issue.

NOTE: That website shows the factory manual procedure for replacing the antenna. The factory manual says the teeth of the antenna gear must face toward the REAR of the vehicle. On my '00 RX300 it had to face the FRONT. Pay attention to the direction when you run the antenna out of the motor.
Yes, and I could hear my motor running also. That is why I chimed in here
Old 12-23-05, 09:27 PM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fern
lol i dont agree with some of the stuff. wd 40 for upper strut mounts. wd40 tends to collect dust. so a dry lube would be better

as for the attn mast.
u dont twist u just turn on the radio and watch the attn go up. and what also happens when the plastic line brakes?

Last edited by koolaidman; 12-23-05 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-24-05, 01:23 AM
rx300_2000
Driver School Candidate

Default Antenna

Greetimgs all,

I have the same problem, unfortunately the antenna has now broken off.......I wonder how much this repair will cost?
Old 12-24-05, 07:56 AM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rx300_2000
Greetimgs all,

I have the same problem, unfortunately the antenna has now broken off.......I wonder how much this repair will cost?
Even broken off, you can still replace it. Once the outside retainer nut is removed, the radio can eject the rest of the antenna that's left inside the motor. If it doesn't, need to disassemble the motor or need a new unit.
Old 12-24-05, 08:03 AM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by koolaidman
lol i dont agree with some of the stuff. wd 40 for upper strut mounts. wd40 tends to collect dust. so a dry lube would be better

as for the attn mast.
u dont twist u just turn on the radio and watch the attn go up. and what also happens when the plastic line brakes?
If the plastic line breaks, the motor can still spin but you have to disassemble the unit to get the broken piece out. The new antenna won't go back in with a broken piece inside. If you disassemble the motor and the DRIVE GEAR is stripped, then you need a whole new unit.
Old 12-25-05, 12:39 PM
jcjr
Pole Position

Question

Is the replacement mast available ONLY at the dealers or can I get it at Pep Boys????
Old 12-25-05, 12:47 PM
ericok
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jcjr
Is the replacement mast available ONLY at the dealers or can I get it at Pep Boys????
I bought mine on Ebay.
Old 12-27-05, 07:22 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my antenna mast replacement at a Lexus dealer, but returned it. My RX's mast will only raise about 1/2 the normal distance (the upper section will not extend). I used the documented procedure for removing the mast but it would not come out. Since my mast is still usable in strong signal areas, I decided to leave it alone.

Assuming my problem is with the motor, is there an aftermarket motor available? It costs too much to buy a new replacement motor from Lexus. If the time should come where the antenna will not raise at all, I think I would invest my money in satellite radio before spending almost $200 for a new mast and motor and still be stuck with broadcast radio.
Old 12-27-05, 08:00 AM
sourLX470
Driver School Candidate

DaveJ...since you are thinking about replacing the motor, have you tried getting to the motor and opening it up and clearing any broken pieces out? I had to do this to my 99 RX and it wasn't all that difficult. I bet I could get to the motor in about 30 minutes. if you really need help, I can take pictures of each piece you have to remove in order to get to the motor. This should save you alot and you don't have to be a mechanic to get to it or to clean out the pieces.
Old 12-27-05, 08:11 AM
DaveJ
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sourlx470, yes I would be very interested in seeing the pictures of the pieces needed to remove to get at the motor. That would be a great help to me and others here. Thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antenna problem with 2001 RX 300..HELP!!