GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How To - Change The Tension On The Trunk Lid - One BIG Pic

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-01, 09:39 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb How To - Change The Tension On The Trunk Lid - One BIG Pic

Someone else had written this procedure up before with no pics, so kudos to them - sorry I can't remember who.

I've been putting this off because I never really envisioned what the orginal author had intended.

Well, today when I was spending some time on my GS, and I about decapitated myself since the trunk lid is heavier with my recently added rear deck spoiler, so I figured, now is the time.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails How To - Change The Tension On The Trunk Lid - One BIG Pic-how-to-change-smaller.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
n1ck (02-14-18)
Old 12-24-01, 02:25 PM
eppan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool and good pics! Learn something new everyday.

How does it feel when you close the trunk? Harder...or same as before?
Old 12-24-01, 03:21 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when u didn't have ur spoiler, did ur trunk open all the way when u opened it w/ the key fob and trunk release in the cabin? Did it when u added the spoiler? If it didn't, does it now open all the way, or does it still just pop open and leave u to lifting it?
The reason i am asking this is b/c i know w/ my SC i have to get stronger shocks to push the trunk lid all the way up b/c of the spoiler that was added. However, when i took the spoiler off, the trunk opened all the way up. But on my dads GS3 w/ no spoiler, the trunk just pops up a lil and u have to open it all the way. Does this sound normal and if not, will this fix that or do i have to buy shocks like in the case for my SC? It seems like Lexus would've looked into this more. Has anyone else had this problem?
*sorry if the post is confusing but ive been on the comp. almost all day and im pretty tired*
Old 12-24-01, 03:32 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by eppan
Very cool and good pics! Learn something new everyday.

How does it feel when you close the trunk? Harder...or same as before?
It closes much softer now; it doesn't slam shut by itself. I still brace it with my had a little, and the weight of the the lid is lighter since the torsion bars are helping more - I think that answers your question.

Last edited by ///MDex; 12-24-01 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-24-01, 03:37 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by MyLexusSC300
[B]when u didn't have ur spoiler, did ur trunk open all the way when u opened it w/ the key fob and trunk release in the cabin?
No

Did it when u added the spoiler?
No

If it didn't, does it now open all the way, or does it still just pop open and leave u to lifting it?
No, it still just releases the lock, and I still open the lid all the way myself

The reason i am asking this is b/c i know w/ my SC i have to get stronger shocks to push the trunk lid all the way up b/c of the spoiler that was added. However, when i took the spoiler off, the trunk opened all the way up. But on my dads GS3 w/ no spoiler, the trunk just pops up a lil and u have to open it all the way. Does this sound normal....
Yes

I don't think the GS trunk release for the GS is supposed to fully open the trunk - a la Cadilac? - at least I've never seen one operate that way; probaly seen 10 other GSs total.

HTH
Old 12-24-01, 03:47 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dexter, you are the DIY man!!!
Old 12-24-01, 03:51 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Thanks Richie - as long as it take 30 min or less!

I think SuperJoe hold the current DIY Heavyweight Belt.

Really though, I can't take credit - another member wrote it up, I just took some pics while my head was still attached to my neck.

Old 12-24-01, 04:10 PM
fasthuh
Lead Lap

Dexter,

Thanks for the info and pics, I too just got decapitated when putting christmas gifts in the trunk.

allen
Old 12-24-01, 10:54 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Dexter--

What exactly does this mod to? When I got my factory spoiler installed (car did NOT come with spoiler from factory), I think the dealership changed out the shocks to the ones on the cars that DO come with spoilers from the factory to accomodate the weight--is this what you are doing here? I ask because I'm pretty sure the dealership did SOMETHING to make sure the trunk opens better with the spoiler, I'm not exactly sure what.

I guess I'll check which one of those 3 settings my car is currently on now.

How exactly do you remove those little clamp on bolt things that are all over the interior of the trunk? I want to take some out to replace my license plate lights as well to something a little whiter (not blue...). Thanks...
Old 12-24-01, 11:54 PM
enginyr
Banned

Nice DIY Dex....As usual, heading to the garage....
Old 12-25-01, 05:26 AM
RealMarty
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by Intellexual
Dexter--

What exactly does this mod to? When I got my factory spoiler installed (car did NOT come with spoiler from factory), I think the dealership changed out the shocks to the ones on the cars that DO come with spoilers from the factory to accomodate the weight--is this what you are doing here? I ask because I'm pretty sure the dealership did SOMETHING to make sure the trunk opens better with the spoiler, I'm not exactly sure what.

What this does is change the spring settings that lift the trunk. The rods are torsion bars and by moving them you increase the tension. The more weight on the trunk, as with a spoiler requires more spring tension to lift up. There are no shocks on the GS trunk.

How exactly do you remove those little clamp on bolt things that are all over the interior of the trunk? I want to take some out to replace my license plate lights as well to something a little whiter (not blue...). Thanks...

If I remember correctly some unscrew. Look at them carefully. You'll see slots for a flat screwdriver. Others are just a pressure fit. If there is no slot it's pressure and you can just pry them out.
Old 12-25-01, 06:45 AM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Yeah, what he said.....

The rivit was a pressure mounted one. I used a flat head screwdriver to loosen / pry it, then pulled the lining forward while bracing the rivit with my hand so I wouldn't tear the lining, or break the rivit. It poped out with some pull force.

Be careful not to loose the rivit when it pops out; once it falls into the wheel well, you'll have to take out the spare to find it.

Merry Christmas!
Old 04-30-10, 08:15 AM
fasted1953
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best 5 minute upgrade I've done. Should have done it years ago.
Old 04-30-10, 09:12 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by fasted1953
Best 5 minute upgrade I've done. Should have done it years ago.
search WIN
Old 04-30-10, 10:40 PM
Jrezo
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

another diy that makes me want to work on the car now at 10:40 at night

Quick Reply: How To - Change The Tension On The Trunk Lid - One BIG Pic